116 replies to this topic

#21 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:39 AM

Still can’t hear any Moog Taurus on The Anarchist.

There's a Moog on The Anarchist? lol.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#22 Howler Monkey

Howler Monkey

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

I still like Snakes better, but that is because it has more concentrated, transparent atheisting. CA is slightly more subtle. Ain't nobody got time for that. Musically, both satisfy me in a modern rock way, but mostly don't replace the classics.

#23 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

I was really jazzed the year it came out, great dynamics on the record, a few great songs, a bunch of good ones, and nothing particularly awful, translated really well live, especially with the addition of the string ensemble.  I still like it a lot, but it's diminished a bit with time.  Anarchist, Wreckers, and Garden remain modern classics for me.  I place it above S&A because that album suffered from being too mono-tempo, a few of the rockers on S&A (Far Cry for example) should have been done a little faster to cut up the mid-tempo monotony.

#24 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

The Wreckers could’ve -should’ve been great. It was ruined by the craziest bricking of all time. The outro- with the strings in a huge crescendo - all the dynamics are lost and it just swirls into this digital mess.

Dave Grohl has a new song out this week. 23 minute rock instrumental - and it sounds fantastic. Why can’t Rush get a handle on their production issues? CA is brilliant in many places - but damn is it fucking hard to listen to.

#25 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:35 PM

Why can’t Rush get a handle on their production issues?

Broon's too busy with Tiles. :P

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#26 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

The Wreckers could’ve -should’ve been great. It was ruined by the craziest bricking of all time. The outro- with the strings in a huge crescendo - all the dynamics are lost and it just swirls into this digital mess.

Dave Grohl has a new song out this week. 23 minute rock instrumental - and it sounds fantastic. Why can’t Rush get a handle on their production issues? CA is brilliant in many places - but damn is it fucking hard to listen to.

A Broon with veto power could have made Rush great again. I really do think he could have rolled back into it with them like 1982 was yesterday. Why were they so great together to begin with? Who knows?  That type of chemistry can't be explained. They were just a great match for god knows what reason. 

Rush's sound, especially post-2000, was too layered and the members themselves too inside their own heads and given too much bad advice to ever compete artistically in the loudness wars whereas, say, a mono-toned band like Metallica, with their emphasis on barre chords, was built for it. Imagine how unlistenable a bricked AFTK or Moving Pictures would have been. (God, I'm thankful they made those albums during that much more sane era!)

I think a sound like Rush's is a pretty delicate ecosystem that can be easily effed up even by industry pros with the best of intentions.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:14 AM

I was actually shocked that CA turned out as good as it did. I thought the band was toast after the S&A snoozefest. Seemed to me with CA they found a way to blend old Rush with new to form a new and interesting energy. But the star of the show, for me, was the title track. It's a beautifully realized, adventurous, sometimes swampy sounding tune unlike anything they'd ever done before, imo.

Unfortunately, the production sound hurts the album's overall listenability. Shame.

#28 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:34 AM

Even with nice headphones?

Haven’t got those.

I have cheapo earbuds. That was how I learned to appreciate VT.

#29 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:47 AM

Ok, not done this for a while. In order of my enjoyment:

MP
Perm Waves
GUP
Signals
Fly by Night
AF2K
Caress of Steel
Hemispheres
HYF
Counterparts
Presto
Rush
VT
Test for Echo
Roll the Bones
Clockwork Angels
S&A

#30 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

That's a harsh assessment of Clockwork Angels, MT!  Also surprised that Hemisphere isn't ranked higher.

For me it would be something like this:

Moving Pictures

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Grace Under Pressure

Caress of Steel

Signals

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Clockwork Angels

Presto

Vapor Trails

Test For Echo

Snakes & Arrows

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Rush

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#31 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

Haven’t got those.

I have cheapo earbuds. That was how I learned to appreciate VT.

That's okay, one won't hear the moog/taurus pedals with quality headphones either. :D

As for CA, I used to listen to it quite a bit but then it began to wear on me and now I re-live it on occasion.

And yes it's a sonic mess which there was a cure for if they cared enough to utilize Broon or Peter.

#32 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

I place it above S&A because that album suffered from being too mono-tempo, a few of the rockers on S&A (Far Cry for example) should have been done a little faster to cut up the mid-tempo monotony.

That's why I sped up the tempo with Audacity and have been rockin' out to S&A for quite some time.

#33 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

I was actually shocked that CA turned out as good as it did. I thought the band was toast after the S&A snoozefest. Seemed to me with CA they found a way to blend old Rush with new to form a new and interesting energy. But the star of the show, for me, was the title track. It's a beautifully realized, adventurous, sometimes swampy sounding tune unlike anything they'd ever done before, imo.

Unfortunately, the production sound hurts the album's overall listenability. Shame.

Totally agree with this.  I wasn't hugely impressed by the 2 pre-release tracks...they felt like more of the same, slightly sludgey S&A tunes (although Caravan grew on me...), but when I heard the title track, it really struck me that it had been a long while since a Rush song did things I totally didn't expect.

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#34 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

I haven't done this for a few years, so I copied & pasted Flux's list into a text editor and shuffled it around until it stopped looking wrong.

Hemispheres
Moving Pictures
Signals
Caress of Steel

Power Windows

Clockwork Angels
Permanent Waves
Grace Under Pressure
Fly By Night
Hold Your Fire
Test For Echo
Rush
Presto
A Farewell to Kings
Counterparts
Vapor Trails
Snakes & Arrows
Roll the Bones

What a catalogue. From some of mankind's greatest artistic achievements at the top, to worthless, thoughtless, ill-conceived dross at the bottom.

#35 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:36 PM

I haven't done this for a few years, so I copied & pasted Flux's list into a text editor and shuffled it around until it stopped looking wrong.

Hemispheres
Moving Pictures
Signals
Caress of Steel

Power Windows

Clockwork Angels
Permanent Waves
Grace Under Pressure
Fly By Night
Hold Your Fire
Test For Echo
Rush
Presto
A Farewell to Kings
Counterparts
Vapor Trails
Snakes & Arrows
Roll the Bones

What a catalogue. From some of mankind's greatest artistic achievements at the top, to worthless, thoughtless, ill-conceived dross at the bottom.

Wow, Slim -

having read so many of your posts over the years...I never realized how low you rate Permanent Waves!  Fascinating.

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#36 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:08 PM

Got me thinking about my list.

1. Hemispheres
  2. Moving Pictures
  3. Permanent Waves
  4. Signals
  5. A Farewell to Kings
  6. Power Windows
  7. 2112
  8. Clockwork Angels
  9. Grace Under Pressure
  10. Hold Your Fire
  11. Caress of Steel
  12. Vapor Trails
  13. Roll the Bones
  14. Presto
  15. Fly by Night
  16. Rush
  17. Counterparts
  18. Snakes and Arrows
  19. Test for Echo

Probably my biggest heresy is putting 2112 so low, but I think, outside the title track, it's mediocre at best.  Likewise, with Farewell to Kings, outside of Xanadu (and Closer to the Heart if it weren't so damn overplayed), it's not great.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#37 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:25 PM

Wow, Slim -

having read so many of your posts over the years...I never realized how low you rate Permanent Waves!  Fascinating.

Permanent Waves is a difficult one to rate, for me. It does have a couple of Peak Rush tunes. They were pretty much at the peak of the powers there, yes. And that shows in Free Will especially. But it's a short album, and it contains filler.

#38 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:37 PM

For me, the Broon albums are untouchable by any Rush albums released after his tenure. And I find it interesting that ranking the Broon albums isn't as easy for me while ranking post-Broon albums is a very easy task.

#39 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:12 AM

Totally agree with this.  I wasn't hugely impressed by the 2 pre-release tracks...they felt like more of the same, slightly sludgey S&A tunes (although Caravan grew on me...), but when I heard the title track, it really struck me that it had been a long while since a Rush song did things I totally didn't expect.

That's a great way of putting it. Rush used to routinely surprise with their innovative work. Hell, I remember having to hear songs like TSOR, Xanadu, Overture, and Hemispheres 4 or 5 times before I could even understand what was going on.

#40 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:40 AM

Here's my ranking, published awhile ago.  I don't think I would change much.

LYqbjSn.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users