Photo

I watched a documentary ‘Time Stand Still’ last night.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:42 AM

It was about the last Rush tour. It was really moving.

I didn’t know Neil got trench foot from his motorcycling in the rain.

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,162 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:28 AM

I saw it about three months ago and liked it. Neil seems very stoic about stuff like that. The show must go on. I think I remember Danniels kind of acting exasperated as he talked about Neil's foot problems. He probably didn't like him taking unnecessary risks while on tour for obvious reasons.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:52 PM

I enjoyed Beyond The Lighted Stage much more. Time Stand Still was kinda depressing. 

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#4 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,083 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

I enjoyed Beyond The Lighted Stage much more. Time Stand Still was kinda depressing.

I think the key difference to me was the cartoons. The Ace Frehley one and the stories. I guess this one being band commissioned had a different feel. It’s definitely a sad time to be a Rush fan, that’s for sure. This movie reminds one of that. We’re no different than Led Zeppelin fans now. Maybe even with less hope

#5 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

I love Neil Peart.

My childhood hero.

But what a fucking narcissist.

Who fucking motorcycles during a rock tour. Especially when your hands pay the bills. 100s of paychecks depend on you showing up on time too.

I get it. Better he moto tour on tour than no tour at all.

But it’s his passive aggressive way of controlling the entire Rush machine.

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:33 PM

I love Neil Peart.

My childhood hero.

Who fucking motorcycles during a rock tour. Especially when your hands pay the bills. 100s of paychecks depend on you showing up on time too.

Imagine what it does to the insurance on the tour. They could probably make so much more money and hold onto it if it weren’t for that costly activity. I realize it was do that or not tour for him but I have to imagine they have had some heated discussions over that.

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,162 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:05 PM

I realize it was a big risk for him to motorcycle it between shows but I also think it was kind of awesome. Just the freedom of it was great. It was just one more thing that made Rush special and different from other bands. This rock star required no coddling.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:21 AM

Imagine what it does to the insurance on the tour. They could probably make so much more money and hold onto it if it weren’t for that costly activity. I realize it was do that or not tour for him but I have to imagine they have had some heated discussions over that.

No question. Insurance must’ve must have almost been prohibitive.

NP breaks his hip wiping out on the BMW and that would put Rush on the hook with their promoters for the rest of the tour (I reckon). That’s millions of dollars.

#9 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:26 AM

I realize it was a big risk for him to motorcycle it between shows but I also think it was kind of awesome. Just the freedom of it was great. It was just one more thing that made Rush special and different from other bands. This rock star required no coddling.

I agree. He’s going to do what he wants to do. It’s “rock star” but in its own interesting way.

I remember bands I’ve played in where something would clash with previous plans I made - like going out with a girlfriend or whatever- and it would sometimes become a big blowup. And that’s just with a d level touring band. I’m sure his motorcycling made waves.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,162 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:03 AM

I agree. He’s going to do what he wants to do. It’s “rock star” but in its own interesting way.

I remember bands I’ve played in where something would clash with previous plans I made - like going out with a girlfriend or whatever- and it would sometimes become a big blowup. And that’s just with a d level touring band. I’m sure his motorcycling made waves.

I was in an e level local originals band here in LA in the early '90s and we had schedule conflicts like that all the time and, yes, there were blowups, and eventually that's what broke us up.

#11 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:28 AM

I don't have anywhere near the miles that Neil has ridden but I do know there are certain factors that increase your chances of a safe ride. Riding with a partner, choosing routes with less traffic, keeping your speed down, staying aware, etc. These are things that Neil did so as dangerous as the excursions may seem it is actually quite safe.

AND NEIL NEVER MISSED A SHOW!

#12 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

I don't have anywhere near the miles that Neil has ridden but I do know there are certain factors that increase your chances of a safe ride. Riding with a partner, choosing routes with less traffic, keeping your speed down, staying aware, etc. These are things that Neil did so as dangerous as the excursions may seem it is actually quite safe.

AND NEIL NEVER MISSED A SHOW!

He did great and yes with Michael at his side, no question, made it so much safer.  Still the insurance on the tour must have made it a lot harder for people to make money.  When people complain about ticket prices, it's things like this which push them to such high levels.  If the band doesn't show up, if someone does something that can cause them to get injured on a daily basis, it's going to be high.

#13 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

I love Neil Peart.

My childhood hero.

EZrhythm beat me to the punch...Neil never missed a show. I cant vouch for every single show, but I've never heard whisper of a Rush show kicking off 1 minute late...for any reason, much less Neil's biking between shows. Joking around is one thing (Mr. Grumpy, etc...), but there seems to be a real misunderstanding of his psyche during a tour. The motorcycling (and plain old bicycling before that) between shows was a way for Neil to escape the internal pressures of a show/tour. 

Narcissistic, controlling, passive aggressive...I don't buy it. The opposite is true, the guy just wanted to be invisible. He had trouble dealing with fame and found ways to insulate himself. Both he and his bandmates have spoken of this often. Anyways, just my thoughts...

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#14 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

EZrhythm beat me to the punch...Neil never missed a show. I cant vouch for every single show, but I've never heard whisper of a Rush show kicking off 1 minute late...for any reason, much less Neil's biking between shows. Joking around is one thing (Mr. Grumpy, etc...), but there seems to be a real misunderstanding of his psyche during a tour.
The motorcycling (and plain old bicycling before that) between shows was a way for Neil to escape the internal pressures of a show/tour.

Narcissistic, controlling, passive aggressive...I don't buy it. The opposite is true, the guy just wanted to be invisible. He had trouble dealing with fame and found ways to insulate himself. Both he and his bandmates have spoken of this often. Anyways, just my thoughts...

To me it’s irresponsible. Go moto cross country on your own dime. He pulled it off - and he deserves credit for that.

Even when he’s not on stage, if he’s on tour, he’s working and others are working for him.

Motorcycling is so fucking dangerous. I don’t care how skilled you might be. It’s the other maniacs on the road you have to be careful of. The list of dead/injured celebrities from car/bike accidents is pretty long. The more you ride the better your chances.

In the doc, you can see the frustration with Geddy when he’s discussing NPs physical issues as a result of motorcycling.

#15 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

http://mentalfloss.c...rbike-crash-ups

#16 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

To me it’s irresponsible. Go moto cross country on your own dime. He pulled it off - and he deserves credit for that.

Even when he’s not on stage, if he’s on tour, he’s working and others are working for him.

Motorcycling is so fucking dangerous. I don’t care how skilled you might be. It’s the other maniacs on the road you have to be careful of. The list of dead/injured celebrities from car/bike accidents is pretty long. The more you ride the better your chances.

In the doc, you can see the frustration with Geddy when he’s discussing NPs physical issues as a result of motorcycling.

For sure Geddy was frustrated, but Neil's raw stumps ultimately didn't affect his performances nor were the reason he stopped touring. He had his arm twisted...it's the only reason there was an R40. There was never going to be anything beyond that regardless. Cringy part of the doc is when Neil talks about being backed into a corner when Alex brought up his arthritis. Said he stomped around his hotel room that night cursing and had an attack of Tourettes. It's not normal...he increasingly had severe psychological reactions because of his job. He did what he did to best deal with that so that we can get an A++ performance every night. I understand the risks you are talking about, but if that was the only way he could function, so be it. 

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#17 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:33 PM

Good points Macallan.

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,162 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:57 PM

if someone does something that can cause them to get injured on a daily basis, it's going to be high.

Like heavy drug use?

#19 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:52 AM

Good points Macallan.

Thank you sir
Cheers !

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#20 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:53 AM

Several former members of this board are in the film. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users