31 replies to this topic

#21 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:01 PM

Watched all of them now. The penultimate one annoyed me a bit, for reasons I won't elaborate for fear of spoiling. Even so, I enjoyed it.

The last one steals its basic idea from the TNG episode in which Picard tries to avoid becoming a god after culturally contaminating a primitive society. It's very cleverly done. They manage to blend quite dark drama with comedy seamlessly, and it's as thought-provoking as any TNG episode. Loved it.

Feel a bit empty now. This has been a really nice late evening ritual.

#22 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:27 AM

Feel a bit empty now. This has been a really nice late evening ritual.

Try Black Mirror yet?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#23 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

Not yet. Perhaps I'll watch one later. It didn't really appeal based on the trailer I saw though.

#24 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

Well, I watched the first Black Mirror. A tense and rather harrowing political drama edged with black comedy, in which a serving UK Prime Minister is blackmailed in an unusual and degrading manner under the threat of execution of a member of the Royal Family.

I found it enjoyable initially, but as it wore on I'm afraid I came to the view that it was rather cynical and contemptible.

#25 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:10 PM

Well, I watched the first Black Mirror. A tense and rather harrowing political drama edged with black comedy, in which a serving UK Prime Minister is blackmailed in an unusual and degrading manner under the threat of execution of a member of the Royal Family.

I found it enjoyable initially, but as it wore on I'm afraid I came to the view that it was rather cynical and contemptible.

I felt the same. I thought that one missed the mark. I’d say Black Mirror is pretty hit and miss actually.

#26 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:11 PM

I’m pretty surprised you don’t find Seth MacFarlane completely impossible to watch. I guess I’ll give a couple more episodes a shot.

#27 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:21 AM

I’m pretty surprised you don’t Seth MacFarlane completely impossible to watch. I guess I’ll give a couple more episodes a shot.

Not familiar with him from anything else but he's brilliant in this. Puts in a nice, traditional light entertainment comedy male lead performance. Impeccable comic timing.

Speaking of which ,I suppose I should be glad it doesn't have canned laughter.

#28 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

I haven't seen that one yet so I can't speak to its quality but I do remember reading the premise and thinking it was pretty crude. Not that I'm against crude, I just thought it didn't quite fit with this series. But that's the thing about this show. It surprises.

The range of Black Mirror episodes can run from intensely grim all the way to life affirming but they mostly tend to be on the darker side with "tech dread" being the common tone that runs through all of them. Imo, it's one of the greatest series of the last couple decades.

Some of my favs:

San Junipero (Season 3 | Episode 4) This is one of the greatest hours of television I've ever seen.

USS Callister (Season 4 | Episode 1) Pretty much a straight up comedy and a brilliantly plotted story about the abuse of virtual reality.

Nosedive (Season 3 | Episode 1) A Facebook/Uber style future where your status in life is determined by how other people rate you.

I could keep going but I'll stop there.

I'll check out an episode of The Orville pretty soon.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

Not familiar with him from anything else but he's brilliant in this.

His main claim to fame is producing and acting in the animated sitcom Family Guy. If you don't like crude, don't watch that show. haha.

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:19 PM

Well I saw episode 9 of The Orville, "Cupid's Dagger". I thought it was funny and that it also had a pretty clever plot twist. Although I think the show is sort of still finding its comedic pacing, a good number of the jokes landed for me and the situation in this episode was a funny one.  Instead of Star Trek's military stiffness, there's a comic casualness to the crew. The characters speak in contempo language and have similar relationship issues to ours today. They even stuck some SJW stuff in there for laughs.  

Like the real Star Trek would do, they found a way to solve the problem at the last second when things were at their bleakest in a way you felt you should have seen coming, but didn't.

Things I noticed:

- The guy voicing the amorous gelatinous blob is none other than comedian Norm MacDonald.

- Handsome actor Rob Lowe plays sexy alien Darulio (natch) under a ton of prosthetic makeup.

- When Commander Bortus is just about to sing his rendition of "My Heart Will Go On" the scene abruptly switches to another scene with a character named Admiral Halsey played by Victor Garber who also has a significant role in Titanic.

- Captain Mercer's first officer and ex-wife is frickin' hot.

I watched it for free at Fox.com. They give you a choice between watching one long ad at the beginning or several short ones during runtime. (Might be only Americans get to do that.)

#31 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:38 PM

Nosedive (Season 3 | Episode 1) A Facebook/Uber style future where your status in life is determined by how other people rate you.

There's an Orville ep with exactly the same theme - a nice satire of social media with a planet on which everyone wears an upvote / downvote button.

#32 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:06 PM

There's an Orville ep with exactly the same theme - a nice satire of social media with a planet on which everyone wears an upvote / downvote button.

Yes, I'd heard about that episode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users