31 replies to this topic

#1 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

I felt violated when I first read about, and saw still images from The Orville. It looked unbelievably derivative of TNG-era Star Trek.

Then a couple of days ago I read a positive review of it, and I discovered that I have the first episode free with Amazon Prime. So I watched it, just now.

I was right. It is blatantly a Star Trek rip off; so much so though that I realised that this was actually the whole point. It's an homage.

In this first episode I noticed, for example: a holodeck. A "starship" explicitly referred to as such. A shuttlecraft. The starships have warp drive, and although it's called "quantum drive", they do the same flash of light BOOM! when the ship goes to warp. The layout of the bridge is pretty much the same, with two helm officers sitting in front of the Captain's chair, and a viewscreen in front of them. The doors hiss open in exactly the same way. The overall styling is also very reminiscent of TNG and Voyager, especially in the clothing and decor.

gallery-1504791565-orville-group-build-s

It doesn't have any of the tradition and gravitas of course of the ST franchise, but the approach is different. It's played for laughs. It's almost a comedy, to the point where the story is just a vehicle for the gags. It reminded me of Galaxy Quest. I loved it.

Some of the characters seem a bit pointless so far, particularly the bitch First Lady from the first couple of series of 24 who's a doctor in this one. But perhaps they'll be fleshed out.

The CGI is OK. It's about the same standard as Voyager, which considering that series is over 20 years old now is not saying a lot. But it's good enough. Perhaps I'm misremembering that anyway.

I didn't fancy Discovery much when I saw the trailer, but I'm well up for this.

#2 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:26 PM

You are correct Slim, it /is/ a homage to Trek.

I haven't watched beyond the first couple of episodes - but what I saw I enjoyed. In that Trek sort of way.

falconext.png

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:22 AM

I tried.

The show’s atrocious.

#4 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:24 AM

Galaxy Quest is brilliant tho——

#5 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:48 AM

The show’s atrocious.

Agreed.  Made it through half an episode.  Seemed awful.  Maybe it went over my head.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#6 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:02 AM

Agreed.  Made it through half an episode.  Seemed awful.  Maybe it went over my head.

That wouldn't be very difficult. tongue.png

I kid, you should post more.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:53 AM

I haven't seen it yet. They're shooting a second season to premier in December. I guess it's gained an audience.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

Mixed reception eh! I liked Galaxy Quest, but this is better. Will fork out for the second episode tonight and see how that goes.

#9 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

Just watched the second one. First observation - the opening credit sequence with the Orville gracefully sailing past interstellar objects - including the rocky chunks of a planet's ring system - is lifted shamelessly from Voyager. And that made me smile.

I found out what the Bitch First Lady physician is for. She's Guinan. The wise and knowing counsel and confidante to the other officers.

That was a belting episode. The story was actually pretty good this time. I got a decent Star Trek fix, with a lot of wit and charm.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:59 PM

NON UNION SUBMISSIONS ONLY

Katie is taking submissions for the television show The Orville working on Monday, July 30th in Century City.

Seeking men and women who appear to be in their 20s-30s to portray officers. Cannot have worked the show this season unless you were an Orange officer or a Yeoman.

Men must be clean shaven, 5'9-6'1 in height, 28-34 waist, 38-44 coat, and no bigger than a 13 shoe.

Women must be 5'4-5'10 in height, 0-6 dress, and no bigger than a 34 bust. Natural hair color only please.

If this is you, please call 818-260-3936. Thank you!

MUST BE REGISTERED WITH CENTRAL CASTING

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:59 AM

That wouldn't be very difficult. tongue.png

I kid, you should post more.

And bring back whas-her-name getting her tit squeezed. It's been a long time Fluxy.

Come on man. You don't expect me to forget, do you?

falconext.png

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

And bring back whas-her-name getting her tit squeezed. It's been a long time Fluxy.

Come on man. You don't expect me to forget, do you?

This? Only a gay guy can get away with this.

giphy.gif

#13 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

God damn it. She was hot.

#14 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:30 PM

So - I watched the third one. I enjoyed it, but not quite so much. It's one of those stories with a bit of pathos and a moral message, in the TNG mould. It does have a few good gags and it's an interesting tale, but I don't think this sort of thing is one of The Orville's strengths.

Then I watched the fourth one - an absolutely superb episode. It's basically one of those original series stories where Kirk and Spock encounter a society that's been a dystopian nightmare for centuries, and they sort it all out in about an hour. Very clever and very well done.

#15 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

I like this show a lot.  Watched the whole series.  It gets quite dark in places.  More adult than TNG, and some thoughtful social commentary too.

#16 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:16 PM

This was a much better satire, and much darker imho:

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:12 AM

^^^ That is one of my favorite Black Mirrors. Outstanding!!

#18 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:53 AM

This? Only a gay guy can get away with this.

giphy.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Yes.

That.

Thank. You.

falconext.png

#19 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

I've just watched the 9th one. That one will stay with me forever. One of the funniest 43 minutes of television I've ever seen. Immaculate comic timing from the cast.

And Alara is sooooo cuuuuttteeee

alara.jpg

#20 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

I watched the 10th one. Very tense, very dark, very clever and at times I was pissing myself laughing. And actually a little bit moved, at the end.

Also, they blatantly stole a joke from the brilliant Red Dwarf, which is another rare example of sci-fi comedy television.

The holographic doctor from Voyager turns up as Alara's dad. And bitch First Lady from 24 acts out of her skin in this one (also, she doesn't actually look any older than she did in Day 2, back in 2002. I guess it's true what they say. The black don't crack).

This is without a doubt the best new US telly I've seen since House.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users