Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:45 PM

What an awesome song and video:

Not as cool but still kinda cool:

Yeah that riff is too close for it not to have been lifted. The Killing Joke version has more vibrancy to it but the Nirvavna take seems more fully realized. In a sense, you could say Killing Joke work-shopped the riff for Nirvana.

Same might be said of Zeppelin's use of Spirit's "Taurus" intro for "Stairway." It provided the inspiration and an essential ingredient for a great song.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#63 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

Absolutely!

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#64 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:29 PM

This one will be familiar to most readers. Rush's The Weapon is based on Visage's Fade To Grey.

I didn't know that one myself. Looks like Rush may have dropped this one into their "research" file on how to make the band more new wave.

#65 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:00 PM

This one was always blatant to me, and about 40 years ago I remember arguing with my friend Barry, a big Purple and Rainbow fan, who claimed that it was coincidental.

It's clearly based on the Hendrix tune. That said, I like what they did with it.

Catch the Rainbow:

When evening falls, she'll run to me
Like whispered dreams your eyes can't see

Little Wing:

When I'm sad, she comes to me

With a thousand smiles she gives to me free

.. over the same chord progression.

I also hear a hint of Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" in the Rainbow song but I'm sure it's coincidental. The albums were released within a month of each other,

#66 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

Just remembered this one:

That album cover is about as Spinal Tap as it gets. lol.

#67 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:24 PM

If they had used Hipgnosis for their album covers, they'd be in the Rock Hall by now.

#68 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:27 PM

OK they used them once:

http://www.hipgnosis...deeppurple.html

#69 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:48 PM

OK they used them once:

http://www.hipgnosis...deeppurple.html

And even that one's a bit of a fail. Looks like a fishing lure. :)

#70 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:49 PM

If they had used Hipgnosis for their album covers, they'd be in the Rock Hall by now.

Interesting point.

#71 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:13 PM

I didn't know that one myself. Looks like Rush may have dropped this one into their "research" file on how to make the band more new wave.

If I remember correctly, Geddy intended it originally for a solo project that never came to fruition.

#72 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:15 PM

I've owned that album for many years but I think I've only ever listened to it once!

But this is what that tune reminds me of, at least in that ascending major key riff that turns up after 11 seconds:

And while driving home from Hartlepool today, I heard this familiar old tune - which also uses that riff.

#73 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:22 AM

This cool retro tune released in 2016 is influenced to my ears by acts like Seals & Crofts, CSN, and generally the early '70s era of folksy pop-rock. Group is called Liv (features Lykke Li).

NSFW for wall-to-wall hippie nudity. :)

#74 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:02 PM

Completely retro here. It's weird when a band sounds like an homage to an homage. These guys remind me of the Blues Brothers which of course was itself a revivalist tribute to an earlier, brassy soul/blues rock sound.  I must say, they make great work of it.

#75 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

This cool retro tune released in 2016 is influenced to my ears by acts like Seals & Crofts, CSN, and generally the early '70s era of folksy pop-rock. Group is called Liv (features Lykke Li).

NSFW for wall-to-wall hippie nudity. :)

LoL - if only we could all get naked and be free maaaaan.

#bears
#snow
#footwear
#hairybushes

#76 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:12 PM

LoL - if only we could all get naked and be free maaaaan.

#bears
#snow
#footwear
#hairybushes

What does it say about my mid-50s libido that I'm more concerned whether they'll step on something sharp in the forest than focused on the beautiful female rumps on display? lol.

#77 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

The passing of Pete Shelley reminded me of this one:

Magazine was the band that Howard Devoto formed after he left the Buzzcocks in 1977.

#78 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

Speaking of which, the Buzzcocks' own Lipstick uses the same ascending guitar riff as Shot By Both Sides.

Apparently (or so I've read today), Pete wrote it but never used it, when Howard was still in the band. Then Howard borrowed it for Shot By Both Sides. So Pete reclaimed it for Lipstick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users