#41 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

I'm sure readers will be familiar with this one:

Derivative or not though, George really wrote some belting tunes at the end of the '60s, and for me that counts as one of them.

I think that's the first, or one of the first tunes to feature his trademark slide guitar sound. Probably the single most distinctive aspect of his playing, but he never used it (probably hadn't developed it) in the Beatles.

#42 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:14 PM

This one is blatant, from about ten years ago:

The original:

Lily Allen's rip off, a few months later

#43 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:18 PM

That is really fun and quite reminiscent of the Philly Soul sound, a highly commercialized, feel-good version of soul that targeted mainstream American audiences in the early '70s. Vocal groups like The Spinners and The O'Jays were among its biggest names.

Fun fact: in the UK we know the Spinners as the Detroit Spinners. Because these boys had the name first:

thespinners.jpg

#44 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:24 PM

Always thought these were rather similar:

#45 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:26 PM

And I don't think this Rush tune would exist if Zeppelin had never recorded Heartbreaker.

#46 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:34 PM

Derivative or not though, George really wrote some belting tunes at the end of the '60s, and for me that counts as one of them.

I think that's the first, or one of the first tunes to feature his trademark slide guitar sound. Probably the single most distinctive aspect of his playing, but he never used it (probably hadn't developed it) in the Beatles.

It's a fantastic song. Beautifully spiritual and dreamy. I really miss this era when a good many songs had music and melodies with dream-like qualities. I think the Beatles had something to do with this; at least in popularizing the style in radio playable singles. It seems a lost art in today's chart music,

Lennon's Number 9 Dream comes to mind.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#47 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:06 AM

Tracy Chapman's Give Me One Reason is, I think, a retread of Cream's Outside Woman Blues

I'm sure there's a video somewhere on YouTube of Clapton playing on Give Me One Reason with her. He must have noticed.

I honestly don’t reallfy hear the similarity that much - aside from the blues figure. Perhaps Toad’s Drumming is throwing me off.

Clapton and Chapman performed her hit live in 1999.

#48 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

Remembered this one, just now: an early Squeeze tune that's curiously reminiscent of the Muppets theme.

I never noticed it myself until I bought the book 'Song by Song' a few years ago, in which Messrs Difford and Tilbrook talk about each of the songs they wrote:

"It had a jolly tune, which later to my horror someone pointed out sounded like the Muppets theme tune. And I have to agree with them" (Glenn Tilbrook, who composed the music.).

#49 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

This one was always blatant to me, and about 40 years ago I remember arguing with my friend Barry, a big Purple and Rainbow fan, who claimed that it was coincidental.

It's clearly based on the Hendrix tune. That said, I like what they did with it.

Catch the Rainbow:

When evening falls, she'll run to me
Like whispered dreams your eyes can't see

Little Wing:

When I'm sad, she comes to me

With a thousand smiles she gives to me free

.. over the same chord progression.

#50 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:33 PM

Remembered this one, just now: an early Squeeze tune that's curiously reminiscent of the Muppets theme.

I never noticed it myself until I bought the book 'Song by Song' a few years ago, in which Messrs Difford and Tilbrook talk about each of the songs they wrote:

"It had a jolly tune, which later to my horror someone pointed out sounded like the Muppets theme tune. And I have to agree with them" (Glenn Tilbrook, who composed the music.).

Haha. Yeah, I suppose there's a little something there in the melody and cadence but, like you, I wouldn't have made that connection by myself. The songs have completely different emotional tones.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#51 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:22 AM

This one is blatant, from about ten years ago:

The original:

Lily Allen's rip off, a few months later

I think rip off is too strong here although I do hear the similarities in beat and melodic structuring, The big takeaway for me though is how influenced the Take That song is by Out of the Blue era ELO. With some Jeff Lynn specific adjustments the song could be a track on that album or maybe even more appropriately the soundtrack of the movie Xanadu for its show tuney qualities. There is also a George Micheal "Freedom! ’90" thing going on in the bridge beginning at 2:03. Both of these are just influences though, not rip offs.

The Allen song you posted is listed at Wiki as having seven writers! So lots of different inputs there and who knows who brought what to the table. But with seven writers it sounds like the song may have been kicking around for awhile and possibly gone through a few rewrites.

By the way, I like that Lily Allen album It's Not Me, It's You. It was co-produced by Greg Kurstin, one half of The Bird and the Bee.

#52 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:55 AM

This one was always blatant to me, and about 40 years ago I remember arguing with my friend Barry, a big Purple and Rainbow fan, who claimed that it was coincidental.

It's clearly based on the Hendrix tune. That said, I like what they did with it.

Catch the Rainbow:

When evening falls, she'll run to me
Like whispered dreams your eyes can't see

Little Wing:

When I'm sad, she comes to me
With a thousand smiles she gives to me free

.. over the same chord progression.

Highway robbery with this one.

#53 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:02 AM

What an awesome song and video:

Not as cool but still kinda cool:

#54 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:05 AM

Grohl paid them back 12 years later:

#55 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:08 PM

I love that Eighties tune. One of those songs that always takes me back to a particular time and place. In this case, I'm sitting in a quiet pub called the Coach House in a town called Northampton in the long hot summer of 1984, having a beer on my own, when that song comes on the video jukebox.

Video jukeboxes were all the rage in 1984, every town centre pub had one. I think they were based on laserdisc technology. There was a central jukebox unit where you slotted your 10p piece, and a few CRT screens and speakers on the walls or suspended from the ceiling.

#56 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:12 PM

#57 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,250 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:23 PM

I posted this in another thread, but man Beatles influence? (minus the coda of course).  Classic Beatles John/Paul interplay, Paul singing the middle eight

#58 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

I've owned that album for many years but I think I've only ever listened to it once!

But this is what that tune reminds me of, at least in that ascending major key riff that turns up after 11 seconds:

#59 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:14 PM

This one will be familiar to most readers. Rush's The Weapon is based on Visage's Fade To Grey.

#60 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

Just remembered this one:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users