29 replies to this topic

#21 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:27 AM

Coincidentally I heard a replay of a 2010 interview with Billy Joel on Howard Stern the other day. Billy has a different story on the influence. Wiki had the quote, which is nice because my memory sucks...

I listened to Rag Doll and the only thing in common is the last lyric. You can also clearly hear the Uptown Girl melody. That said, I think Billy did rip off 10cc, but his memory is apparently worse than mine.

Wow you can hear so much. I hear three Billy Joel songs and the entirety of Bruce Springsteen’s 1970s catalogue.

And it’s a beautiful song on its own.

#22 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:49 AM

Rag Doll is such a great song.

Good catch. If Joel hadn't said Just the Way You Are was influenced by Rag Doll, I would have never known.

I hadn't realized how just how much Uptown Girl was influenced by the Four Seasons. Joel even does a spot on imitation of Frankie Valli and the song itself could have been a Four Seasons song.

I wonder how they came with the idea to use that 10cc style arrangement. It kind of seems at odds at times with the melody and chords but it's kind of perfect for it too. Adds a delicate, gossamer backdrop to an already soft song.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#23 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:14 PM

I'm a big fan of Billy. His arrangements are amazing, even if he did rip off something here and there. Hard to believe he's not made any new music in 25 years...although, considering River of Dreams maybe that's a good thing. I consider him the Sandy Koufax of popular music...he had an amazing 'hall of fame' run there, then he kinda lost it in a hurry.

Side 1 of 'The Stranger' is one of those perfect album sides out there:

Movin' Out

The Stranger

Just the Way You Are

Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#24 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

Joel’s songs are basically on a loathe/love rating for me.

His hits are brilliant but his deeper cuts, to me, are a coin toss. So much filler.

He’d be a lounge singer in Branson Missouri without Liberty Devitto too.

#25 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:36 PM

The doot-doots in The Spinner's "Rubberband Man" (1976) remind me of the doot-doots in Stephen Stills' "Love the One You're With" (1971).

@ 3:14

@ 3:52

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#26 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:33 AM

Styx's "Prelude 12" (1975) and Rik Emmett's "Moonchild" (1976) have similar qualities....especially at the following time stamps...

@ 0.53

@ 4:28

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:51 AM

Inara George's general vocal style reminds me of Astrud Gilberto's vocals on "The Girl From Ipanema."

#28 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:05 PM

I think a section in Steve Hackett's "Narnia" (1978) sounds kind of similar to the opening of 10cc's "The Things We Do For Love." (1977)

2:12

0:04 and 2:18

#29 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,143 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:28 PM

Joel’s songs are basically on a loathe/love rating for me.

His hits are brilliant but his deeper cuts, to me, are a coin toss. So much filler.

He’d be a lounge singer in Branson Missouri without Liberty Devitto too.

He had a kickass band back then. Now not as much

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

The Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons influence on "Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again" (1971) is about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users