26 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

The arrangement and instrumentation for Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are" are pretty obviously influenced by 10cc's "I'm Not In Love."

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

I know both those songs very well but I'd never seen a similarity before. But when those ethereal background vocals start in Just The Way You Are, yes I can hear it. In fact it's blatant. Can't believe I never noticed it before actually.

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:21 PM

I never did either until last night. Thought I'd make a thread out of it.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:07 AM

The backing vocals hold and don’t change for a full two measures despite the obvious melody change. When you think they should modulate up or down they both just hold on longer than you’d expect. Good one!

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:53 AM

Also, the swirling strings at the beginning of the sax solo put me in the mind of Lennon's "Number 9 Dream." Then they segue into Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat." Not copy jobs, mind you, just impressions. 

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:23 AM

I don't know a lot about about Roxy Music so I was shocked to learn "Love is the Drug" was released in 1975. It must have influenced countless new wave and new romantic acts. 

Not only that, Bryan Ferry's sauve international man persona seems to have been just as influential on the images of later bands working in the style.

The songs on these albums also cemented Ferry's persona as the epitome of the suave, jaded Euro-sophisticate. Although this persona undoubtedly began as a deliberately ironic device, during the mid-1970s it seemed to merge with Ferry's real life, as the working-class miner's son from the north of England became an international rock star and an icon of male style.

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KXpJ0bM5zbM

My favorite thing about the 80s, after obscenely gated snare drums.

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:40 PM

This one was always glaring to me.

#9 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:50 PM

I don't know a lot about about Roxy Music so I was shocked to learn "Love is the Drug" was released in 1975. It must have influenced countless new wave and new romantic acts.

Not only that, Bryan Ferry's sauve international man persona seems to have been just as influential on the images of later bands working in the style.

The songs on these albums also cemented Ferry's persona as the epitome of the suave, jaded Euro-sophisticate. Although this persona undoubtedly began as a deliberately ironic device, during the mid-1970s it seemed to merge with Ferry's real life, as the working-class miner's son from the north of England became an international rock star and an icon of male style.

Certainly see that influence in Duran Duran's "Girls on Film" NOTE Video is NSFW

#10 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

^^
Throw the Thin White Duke in there for good measure.

#11 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

Japan were a big favourite of mine, Bryan Ferry was a very big influence on them after the first two glam rock records (which I also like a lot, as well).

His ex-wife shot herself on Monday. Most unfortunate.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Certainly see that influence in Duran Duran's "Girls on Film" NOTE Video is NSFW

Practically their entire career.

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:49 AM

Practically their entire career.

Yes.  I think they basically took "Love is the Drug" funkified it a bit more, added some newer synths, and another distortion pedal on the guitar and you've pretty much got it.

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:37 AM

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" has a similar aura, shall we say, to Bach's "Air on the G String." This isn't something I noticed on my own. Just read about it in an article about the former song's enduring quality.

Starts playing at 0:17

#15 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

French music artist Serge Gainsbourg recorded a song called "Je t'aime… moi non plus" in 1967. He co-sang it with Brigitte Bardot. He had her make some very hot and heavy sounds on the recording. When her German husband at the time heard the track he got angry and demanded the single not be released. He got his wish. However, two years later, Gainsbourg was able to recruit English actress and girlfriend Jane Birkin to take on Bardot's part and, as with Bardot, had her mimic the sounds of an orgasm. It was released in 1969. The Bardot version eventually got released in 1986. Here's the Bardot version.

Now here's the 1969 Jane Birkin version.

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" with its famous Hammond organ part became a worldwide hit in 1967. Here it is.

Listen to the organ sound between the initially unreleased 1967 Bardot version of "Je t'aime… moi non plus" and the 1969 Birkin version. The Birkin version was re-recorded two years after "A Whiter Shade of Pale" and now had a very similar organ sound to the Procol Harum song whereas the first version's organ didn't sound so much like it or at least was more buried in the mix. 

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:32 PM

The intro riff of Rikki Don't Lose That Number is not so much an influence as a direct ripoff of Horace Silver's "Song for My Father" but there you are.

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

Back to "Je t'aime… moi non plus" and its sexual moaning. Assuming no other artist emulated the nasty in song before its 1969 release it can be considered groundbreaking at least in that regard.

Some of its musical progeny.

"Jungle Fever" - The Chakachas (1971)

"Jungle Fever" was banned by the BBC, who took exception to the song's heavy breathing and moaning. The song was a greater success in America, selling over one million copies and being awarded a gold disc by the R.I.A.A. in March 1972. Billboard ranked it as the #51 song for 1972.

"Love To Love You Baby" - Donna Summer (1979)

Marked by “little more than Donna Summer simulating an orgasm over a background of blaxploitation cymbals, wah-wah guitars, a funky-butt clarinet riff, and some synth chimes, “Love to Love You Baby" was extended into a seventeen-minute minisymphony at the behest of Casablanca Records chief Neil Bogart, who wanted a soundtrack for his sexual exploits. The song reached number two in the American charts and was largely responsible for the development of the twelve inch single.”

Donna Summer has since been forced to stop performing “Love to Love You” live because, “Riots broke out [...] [She] was in a tent in Italy, 5,000 men, almost no women, and was doing 'Love to Love You, Baby,' fairly scantily clad, and the guys got so wrapped up that they began to push the stage back. And [she] had to run off the stage, to [her] trailer out the back. And they came to the trailer and started to rock it. [She] just thought, 'I'm going to die today, I'm not going to get out of here.' It's not the kind of song you just want to throw out there."

I'm not sure I believe that. lol.

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

Metric's great new single owes a lot to U2's '80s sound and the shoegaze sound of the late 80s/early '90s.

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

“The song reached number two in the American charts and was largely responsible for the development of the twelve inch single.”

Wakka wakka!

#20 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:26 PM

The arrangement and instrumentation for Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are" are pretty obviously influenced by 10cc's "I'm Not In Love."

Coincidentally I heard a replay of a 2010 interview with Billy Joel on Howard Stern the other day. Billy has a different story on the influence. Wiki had the quote, which is nice because my memory sucks...

Joel shared that the melody and chord progression for this song came to him while he was dreaming.[3] In an interview on the Howard Stern Radio Show on November 16, 2010, Joel revealed that the inspiration for writing the name of the song and how it sounds in the chorus was directly taken from the last line in the Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons song "Rag Doll"; which incidentally was also a larger inspiration for Joel's later song, "Uptown Girl".[4] The song, which Joel had written for his first wife (and also his business manager at the time) Elizabeth Weber, was not liked by either Joel or his band, and Joel had originally decided against making the track a part of The Stranger, but at the request of both Linda Ronstadt and Phoebe Snow (both were recording in other studios in the same building at the time), he agreed to put the song on the final mix.[5] However, the album's producer, Phil Ramone, later contradicted Joel's claim, stating in an interview that they could not afford to exclude the song because Joel did not have that much material to choose from for the album

I listened to Rag Doll and the only thing in common is the last lyric. You can also clearly hear the Uptown Girl melody. That said, I think Billy did rip off 10cc, but his memory is apparently worse than mine.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users