262 replies to this topic

#21 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:51 PM

Given, I am far from an expert. I watch the sport with the same frequency and intrigue as the Olympics. But shouldn’t the best player in the world put home a penalty kick with relative ease?

Should do really, but - nerves play a big part in a competition like this. Costly miss unless the Argies can nick this in added time (and I wouldn't be at all surprised, I'd give them a 50% chance of winning with a late goal).

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

1-1! Very good game, immense result for Iceland.

#23 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

Wow, Messi free kick with seconds left. That could have been devastating for Iceland who played just about the entire second half in their end. Great effort... good for them!

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#24 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

Day 4. Next up - Costa Rica vs Serbia in Group E. Brazil expected to win this group but any of the other three could take second and proceed to the knockout stage, so an important game for both. I'll say 1-1, though I'd like the Serbs to win.

#25 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

Serbs won 1-0 for the record.

Now half-time at Germany vs Mexico and surprisingly, the bratwurst munchers are losing 1-0. But I expect them to overcome their organisational difficulties for the second half, and win.

#26 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

Mexican rapist fuck germany inthe ass. Sad!!!!

#27 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

Well that's as cogent a match summary as any.

#28 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:29 PM

Kind of a strange game.  Mexico played heroically but they were very lucky.  The Germans created so many chances.  They were dominating the right side especially, getting many crosses in.  Plenty of shot attempts, including a fantastic zinger off the post from the late sub.  They just weren't able to convert for some reason. But kudos to Mexico for a very strong showing.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#29 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

I thought Germany were poor and defended badly, certainly in the first half. The latter stage of the game was a bit like the Alamo with the Mexicans on the other side and the Germans could easily have nicked one back - but the sombrero-wearers defended doggedly and deserved their win.

Looking at the group, it's still unlikely that the Germans will fail to get out of it. But the World Cup throws up surprises - in 2002 for example the French went home without scoring a single goal, despite being defending champions.

#30 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

A wonder goal from Barca's Coutinho leaves Brazil one up against Switzerland. This game at least is not deviating from the script.

#31 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:34 PM

A very creative ad-lib from the wristwatch manufacturers. 1-1! And a bit more than 15 minutes to go.

#32 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

Wasteful from the Bossa Nova boys. One point only from their opening game. Brilliant opening goal but sloppy to concede an equaliser and they didn't take their chances in the second half.

#33 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

Next - Sweden take on South Korea, in a match that's already being described as on, this afternoon.

#34 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

The dog munchers lost. Now 0-0 after 30 minutes of Panama vs Belgium

#35 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

Doing the double watch again. I have local access to Telemundo, and occasionally get to hear The Man-Andres Cantor!

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#36 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

The canal diggers are hanging on bravely but they're busting a gut and will leak goals to the Belgians in the second half.

#37 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

Struggling to think of a derogatory term for the Belgians but fortunately someone else has sorted that out for me

#38 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:11 PM

It begins. Mertens puts one past the elegant hat wearers.

#39 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:29 PM

Well, the Miserable Fat Belgian Bastards cruised past Panama with relative ease and I must say, they were impressive. If we come second in this group which is a realistic hope, we'll be playing the winner of Group E - most likely Brazil - on July 3rd.

#40 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

Here we go then, the first England game. Some talented players but I miss players of the stature of Lampard, Terry, Scholes, Gerrard. A youthful and largely inexperienced squad. But we ought to win this one. Media and fans will be on their back if we don't.

However England has an awful record of opening World Cup games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users