Photo

does anyone listen to rock music anymore??

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,857 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

Micro-genres of music too prevent people from exploring. Having a billion narrow playlists on satellite radio or Spotify doesn’t help it only hinders. Hard to get out of your own wheelhouse
  • Three Eyes likes this

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:45 PM

I forgot:

Nirvana

A Perfect Circle

Nine Inch Nails

G & R

White Stripes

Rock music really got going in the 90s, honestly. Must suck to be one of you old fucks stuck in the past.

It's all been downhill since Bing Crosby went to Decca (imo)

• MrSkeptic likes this

#23 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

Another problem that has retarded growth over the years, I think, has been taste-shaming. It comes from all music factions as musical taste can be quite tribal but it's been especially prevalent in the hipsterverse, whose writers have traditionally controlled the largest print media platforms. Their biggest target in the '70s was prog. Sure, prog could be over-blown, pompous and self-indulgent but it was nothing if not exploratory. Ironically, prog's influence can be heard in a good bit of under-the-radar critically acclaimed music of the last couple decades. So prog isn't quite as slagged off as it used to be but there are still some holdouts.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#24 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:11 PM

Avenged Sevenfold. Better than most of the shit from the 70s.

Currently listening to "Exist."  Christ The Stage is a good album.

• Wandering Hermit likes this

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#25 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,857 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:12 AM

Music of last 20 years is amazing

Tool
Queens of the Stone Age
Soundgarden
Alter Bridge
Lacuna Coil
Muse
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Avenged Sevenfold
Rammstein
Chevelle
Green Day
Deftones
Radiohead
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Rage Against The Machine
System of a Down
Foo Fighters
Opeth
Disturbed
Stone Temple Pilots
Them Crooked Vultures
Mastodon

I could go on

I have not listened to anything from the 70s in many, many years. Frankly, its pretty boring compared to what has come since.

I listen to all of that music but even that music’s peak was 20 years ago. Muse is about the only band that maybe has more creative juice left. Bands like Kings of Leon hit the right places sometimes but are too soft.

#26 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,455 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:26 AM

I forgot:

Nirvana

A Perfect Circle

Nine Inch Nails

G & R

White Stripes

Rock music really got going in the 90s, honestly. Must suck to be one of you old fucks stuck in the past.

As opposed to old fucks listening to some current music? :D

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:30 AM

As opposed to old fucks listening to some current music? :D

Interestingly enough, Baby Metal could actually be a current act that could be called innovative. Mixing J-pop with metal isn't something I've heard before (although it might have some forerunners in Japan). It's a bit gimmicky, as genre mixing sometimes is, so one can only guess whether it'll have any lasting influence on metal or pop at large. But it happily upsets metal's macho image for now at least.

I'm not trying to put down anyone's favorite bands. I like a few current metal bands myself, namely Devin Townsend Project and Rammstein. My own listening is all over the map and it includes a lot of derivative music so I can't get too preachy here. I admit I listen to a lot of 70s music for straight up nostalgia. (70s play-along videos are a staple for me now.) I just pine for the days of the big chart quaking new sound that hits everyone like a ton of bricks every 5 years or so. But we don't live in that world anymore. Metallica's latest album doesn't sound a great deal different than their first one 35 years ago. By contrast, Rush did big sound overhauls in the 70s to early 80s for a good 6 or 7 albums in a row. CoS to GUP is a pretty amazing feat.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#28 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:05 AM

OH YES WE DO!

https://www.youtube....ZM9KWovxn3TtZ9Q

#29 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:54 PM

Currently listening to "Exist."  Christ The Stage is a good album.

Yes indeed it is. Whereas Rush had merely NEP doing spoken parts on a space song, A7X has N. dG. Tyson.

And it appears they want to continue in this prog direction going forward.... if they can top The Stage, then the future of heavy prog rock is bright indeed.

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#30 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:58 PM

I forgot to add:

TesseracT

Periphery

Thank You Scientist

Animals As Leaders

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#31 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:16 AM

I forgot to add:

TesseracT

I beat you to that one

Thank You Scientist

Oh, forgot to mention these guys.  Their second album came out a couple of years ago, and it's a really good sound.  Kinda post-hardcore jazz fusion, or something.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#32 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

Sorry - I'm just content with usb stick containing the complete 1977 Halloween run by FZ oh and the 7 cd set of the complete December 1973 Roxy stint. The Internet has obliterated time. There is no past or future, it's all the present and I'm currently immersed in December 1973. George Duke/Chester Thompson/Ruth Underwood/Tom Fowler/Bruce Fowler/Ralph Humphrey and NMB forever!!

• Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users