Photo

does anyone listen to rock music anymore??

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 gomer

gomer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

Other than demi lovatos new song..Is there any new music worth listening to nowadays?.Even coldplay has gotten old..and they are the American beatles for gosh sakes.Country music is getting stale,I want some good new music..im not like those others who go to rib fests to see  bands like journey and Chicago..well if peter cetera was there I would go actually..i like  a lot of his songs.

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

The last British Sea Power album, released a bit more than a year ago, is outstanding. Shame's debut album, released this year, is brilliant. Country music has always been stale.

#3 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:04 PM

Even coldplay has gotten old..and they are the American beatles for gosh sakes.

Erm, Coldplay's British.

Anyway, I'm loving a lot of Alter Bridge, and the prog metal scene (Leprous, Haken, TesseracT, The Contortionist, The Aristocrats, Animals as Leaders) is great.  You just have to dig for it.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#4 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:35 PM

Pop culture is crass as hell but the undercurrent is still good. Digging is the only way. Agree with that

#5 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:54 PM

+1 for Alter Bridge, they are fantastic imho.

Also enjoy The Sword, they are solid.

#6 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

Bands like QOTSA, Mastodon, Clutch, Opeth, Gojira, and Steven Wilson are carrying the torch just fine for me.  Newer bands like Alter Bridge and Volbeat are fun to listen to, if not exactly my wheelhouse.

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

Other than demi lovatos new song..Is there any new music worth listening to nowadays?.Even coldplay has gotten old..and they are the American beatles for gosh sakes.Country music is getting stale,I want some good new music..im not like those others who go to rib fests to see  bands like journey and Chicago..well if peter cetera was there I would go actually..i like  a lot of his songs.

Gomer is always putting us on...

Or is he...

Kinda hard to tell.

As for me, I think it's all been downhill since the '70s. lol.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

AAL is the only group mentioned I'm listening to. I could care less about vocals nowadays, so my tastes are devolving. Been on a big Vai/Satriani kick of late.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#9 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

I miss   RUSH     a LEAST I HAVE MY GARDEN,  AND ITS DOING VERY WELL.

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:08 PM

The last British Sea Power album, released a bit more than a year ago, is outstanding. Shame's debut album, released this year, is brilliant. Country music has always been stale.

That's really cool. Getting an early '80s New Wave guitars with punk vocals vibe.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

I miss   RUSH     a LEAST I HAVE MY GARDEN,  AND ITS DOING VERY WELL.

Yeah, this song is what I want played at my funeral.  Definitely the best song they've put out in two decades, maybe in my lifetime.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#12 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

Avenged Sevenfold. Better than most of the shit from the 70s.

From the mid 80s onward music has just gotten better.

Fuck these old dumbfucks that think the 70s was the be-all and end-all. I'm looking at you, Peter Criss.

If you are one of these Dana Carvey Grumpy Old Man types that says In My Day, Music Was Better blah blah blah - congratulations,, you have turned into your parents.

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:42 PM

The biggest promise was the fake punk movement which still exists to a bit.  Sum 41, Green Day, etc.  What hair metal was to real metal, fake punk was to real punk.  Melodic, good playing, good songs, not necessarily true to form.  Still decent.  Jangle rock exists still, popular in hipster circles.  Alternative went too soft.  Prog went soft too.  Metal went too hard.  I miss the middle.

#14 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Music of last 20 years is amazing

Tool

Queens of the Stone Age

Soundgarden

Alter Bridge

Lacuna Coil

Muse

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Avenged Sevenfold

Rammstein

Chevelle

Green Day

Deftones

Radiohead

Alice In Chains

Pearl Jam

Rage Against The Machine

System of a Down

Foo Fighters

Opeth

Disturbed

Stone Temple Pilots

Them Crooked Vultures

Mastodon

I could go on

I have not listened to anything from the 70s in many, many years. Frankly, its pretty boring compared to what has come since.

#15 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

<a data-cke-saved-href="http://bevisfrond.bandcamp.com/album/what-did-for-the-dinosaurs" href="http://bevisfrond.bandcamp.com/album/what-did-for-the-dinosaurs">What Did For The Dinosaurs by Bevis Frond</a>

https://bevisfrond.b...r-the-dinosaurs

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 100%; height: 120px;" src="https://bandcamp.com...ansparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://bevisfrond.ba...r-the-dinosaurs">What Did For The Dinosaurs by Bevis Frond</a></iframe>

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:28 AM

The biggest promise was the fake punk movement which still exists to a bit.  Sum 41, Green Day, etc.  What hair metal was to real metal, fake punk was to real punk.  Melodic, good playing, good songs, not necessarily true to form.  Still decent.  Jangle rock exists still, popular in hipster circles.  Alternative went too soft.  Prog went soft too.  Metal went too hard.  I miss the middle.

Just my opinion, but it seems like many of the bigger names these days are well tucked into genres with compositional rule books and limited aural palates. I don't think it's likely that a young Rush or a young Queen or any number of great 60s, 70s or 80s bands could develop into what they became in the current creative environment, at least not while being signed to a large label. Labels don't develop bands anymore. They want polished, familiar, highly marketable product right out of the gate.

I don't look as much as I used to, but I'm sure there is creative music emerging from the indieverse if you want to look for it. Valium just posted some above from Bevis Frond and Peter Griffin posted that cool band Khruangbin awhile back. Could you ever imagine a modern major label pushing music that interesting? The Internet makes it possible for an unknown, unsigned band to gain an audience but it's tough to make a living as an independent when you're competing against label giants and thousands of your indie peers for the public's attention and financial support. The best work out there is easily lost in the mix.

#18 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:03 AM

The problem is that the proliferation of artists through the internet has killed the idea of having an "audience."  Demographics have been cared up.
Add to that a trend in younger people of being eclectic.  Both artists and listeners straddle genres.  Hell, I love hip-hop, metal, prog, jazz, and some electronic/dance music.  Some of the artists I listen to fuse metal, jazz, and dubstep in a single song.  That's REALLY hard to mass market.

#19 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:31 AM

The problem is that the proliferation of artists through the internet has killed the idea of having an "audience."  Demographics have been cared up.
Add to that a trend in younger people of being eclectic.  Both artists and listeners straddle genres.  Hell, I love hip-hop, metal, prog, jazz, and some electronic/dance music.  Some of the artists I listen to fuse metal, jazz, and dubstep in a single song.  That's REALLY hard to mass market.

Thing is, before downloading demonetized album sales, major labels used to look for and foster that sort of genre mixing in hopes of creating a new musical trend to excite the public into buying records. But that business model is effed now. Fostering and managing mass trends is something only the majors could do and they don't do it anymore and probably never will again because it requires robust record sales to finance that kind of development. In a lot of ways though we are lucky today because there is a lot of cool indie music to pick from but you may have noticed that much of it is retro in nature. New genres don't develop or catch fire because I believe there is too much fragmentation and under-promotion for that to happen at the indie level.

#20 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

I forgot:

Nirvana

A Perfect Circle

Nine Inch Nails

G & R

White Stripes

Rock music really got going in the 90s, honestly. Must suck to be one of you old fucks stuck in the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users