#21 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

NP has been harassed by some nutters though. I get it. 

I get it too but it's not like the other guys haven't had to deal with that as well, not to mention every other rock musician in existence.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#22 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:16 PM

I remember a line by Geddy from Beyond The Lighted Stage where he tries to excuse Neil's lack of congeniality towards fans by saying he's a shy guy but that doesn't wash with me. He's not shy at all in interviews and he's not shy at all when talking to people he might meet on the road when riding his bike. He wasn't shy when biking through Africa. He admits this in an interview. It's pretty clear that simply saying he's shy doesn't explain it all. He clearly doesn't want to interact with fans. It's a shame that in all those years Alex and Geddy did meet and greets that Peart didn't want to be there. The people that want to meet him the most are the ones who likely never will. That's a real kick in the teeth to the entire fan base as far as I'm concerned.

He has enough handlers to deal with any threats. I appreciate he wants to live a normal life. He’s not that recognizable as he has aged. Most people expect the Hemispheres-era Neil anyway because that is what the general population expects. I like you just think he hates his fans. I’m ok with that but it doesn’t do much to improve on his legacy. Somebody David Grohl is humbled by his fans and is ten times the elder statesmen of hard rock and he lives a normal suburban life with barbecues and a young family. It’s something Neil has to live with I don’t give a F.

#23 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

I think he's said something akin to he doesn't like to be worshiped. In his view, it probably makes for an uncomfortable, abnormal interaction that places him on a pedestal with certain expectations of friendliness and warmth toward someone he looks at as a stranger. And he "can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend."

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#24 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

All you have to do is go to youtube and search a Neil Peart drum solo...and then read the comments.  People literally talk about him like he is a GOD...not an above average rock drummer who sits in the pantheon among many, many, many great drummers.  I am a big fan of his playing...but I have the perspective to know that the idea that he is "the greatest drummer who has ever lived" is nonsense.  And knowing there is a large swath of people who think that...I'm sure it would be very hard to engage with "fans".  Super intense and ultimately dehumanizing.  I wouldn't want to go through it.

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#25 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

I remember a line by Geddy from Beyond The Lighted Stage where he tries to excuse Neil's lack of congeniality towards fans by saying he's a shy guy but that doesn't wash with me. He's not shy at all in interviews and he's not shy at all when talking to people he might meet on the road when riding his bike. He wasn't shy when biking through Africa. He admits this in an interview. It's pretty clear that simply saying he's shy doesn't explain it all. He clearly doesn't want to interact with fans. It's a shame that in all those years Alex and Geddy did meet and greets that Peart didn't want to be there. The people that want to meet him the most are the ones who likely never will. That's a real kick in the teeth to the entire fan base as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect that one or two incidents with inappropriately intrusive / over-enthusiastic fans have coloured his view of Rush fans as a whole. I must admit that when reading his blog piece about how he invited that touring cyclist to have dinner with him and his riding companion, I was thinking that if this was a guy who knew who he was, had an appreciation of his career and had helped to support him by buying his records and books or going to his gigs, he wouldn't have given him the time of day.

#26 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

I suspect that one or two incidents with inappropriately intrusive / over-enthusiastic fans have coloured his view of Rush fans as a whole. I must admit that when reading his blog piece about how he invited that touring cyclist to have dinner with him and his riding companion, I was thinking that if this was a guy who knew who he was, had an appreciation of his career and had helped to support him by buying his records and books or going to his gigs, he wouldn't have given him the time of day.

Yes, that was how I felt about that story as well.  Ignore the elephant in the room and you're fine.  Given where I live and work, encountering a celebrity is not uncommon.  I've treated them like real people.  I think others should as well.  Don't stare.  If you're apt to stare at them from a distance, it's better to get close and just have a casual greeting.  Typically they will offer you a picture or an autograph and I almost never take them up on that.  I just make small talk like I would with anyone I'm stuck near. in a situation like waiting for a table, etc.  I've often said, no you're here having a good time, you don't have to do that, and leave it like that.  Best situation used to be at a coffee shop that I frequented when my oldest daughter was around three years old that had a kids section with a toy box.  My kid played with Harry Connick and Jill Goodacre's kid there and I sat at the table next to them and we talked about kids/life etc.  Was almost a Sunday ritual.  Never got a photo nor an autograph but the experience was great.  Harry and I even talked music and yes even Rush.  Jill looked amazing then too and still does now.

Neil looks like someone you'd just approach and talk with from that picture.  He looks grandfatherly and would fit well in a suburban North American situation where you'd just share a greeting and see where it goes.  In that setting I guess he's fine.  If you start fawning, OMG the drum god! He's gonna freak.

#27 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

When I lived in London I happened upon celebs a few times and said hello or nodded a greeting of recognition occasionally. Actually the one time I was (arguably) a bit demanding of a celeb's time was when I met Paddy McAloon in Newcastle, which I blogged about a few weeks ago:

http://www.jamesgibb.../paddy-mcaloon/

My favourite one was when I saw Elvis Costello in Piccadilly in 2003. I exclaimed "Elvis!" without thinking and he stopped in his tracks, turned around and saw me looking sheepish and strode over to me with a wide smile and an outstretched hand. Pure class.

#28 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:31 PM

Celebs I’ve met:

The BEST-
Little Richard
Geddy Lee
Slash
Matthew Sweet (who ironically is known to be a an asshole - but he was super cool to me!)
Jay Leno

Super-Cool -
Alex Lifeson
Tarantino
Shatner
Jennifer Hudson
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Billy Bob Thornton
Dave Foley
Michael Bolton
Brad Wilk
Tim Commerford
Mike Watt
Pat Smear

Cool-ish -
Tom Cruise
Ryan Seacrest
David Spade
Anthony Kiedis

Semi Douche, but nice -
Gene Simmons
Joe Piscopo
Barry Williams

Straight Douche Nozzle -
Corey Feldman
Steve Martin (goddammit)
David Cross (goddammit)
The blonde headed dope from 90210

Raving Bitch Lunatic -
Jamie Pressly
Gina Gershon (unfortunate)

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:46 AM

^^^ What did Geddy do that Alex didn't to earn his way to the top of the list?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#30 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

^^^ What did Geddy do that Alex didn't to earn his way to the top of the list?

Through a friend, I got backstage at the Nokia for S/A. First person I run into is Ray Danniels, who introduces himself with a handshake. Then Geddy, wineglass in hand steps up with a warm greeting and handshake. Normal and conversational. With Alex there’s a bit of “Hollywood” to him. So he was very nice but you could kind of tell he was somewhere else.

#31 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

^^^ Interesting. If you'd ever met Neil, I wonder where he'd end up on your list. :P

#32 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

^^^ Interesting. If you'd ever met Neil, I wonder where he'd end up on your list. :P

It was the very night Tim Commeford recounted in BTLS. I talked to Tim for about 15 minutes. Taylor Hawkins was there and he walked up to the group and said let’s go meet “the professor“. He was talking to Tim Chad Smith Brad Wilke and Danny Carrie. They left the room to go meet Neil down the hall who apparently was stewing by himself in his own room. It’s felt strange to follow them so I didn’t.

#33 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

When I lived in Malibu, NP was at a party with his wife and he seemed normal. Fine to chill at some party in Malibu. Maybe his wife makes him feel more sociable.

#34 gomer

gomer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

Grumpy cat and lil bub have been known to be aloof towards their fans...but that doesn't take away from their talent..90 % of rock music has a boring drum part..At least neil has rhythm

#35 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:16 AM

Grumpy cat and lil bub have been known to be aloof towards their fans...but that doesn't take away from their talent..90 % of rock music has a boring drum part..At least neil has rhythm

Neil has rhythm? Not really... he has kind of everything else as a drummer, but not that. Probably kinda goes hand in hand with how he doesn't really groove as a person, either....

#36 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:21 AM

^^^ Vicious! lol.

#37 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,990 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

Through a friend, I got backstage at the Nokia for S/A. First person I run into is Ray Danniels, who introduces himself with a handshake. Then Geddy, wineglass in hand steps up with a warm greeting and handshake. Normal and conversational. With Alex there’s a bit of “Hollywood” to him. So he was very nice but you could kind of tell he was somewhere else.

Of course, the grump was nowhere to be found. He was probably hiding behind the road cases, waiting for a chance to escape before being spotted by a fan.

falconext.png

#38 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:37 AM

Celebs I've met:

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#39 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:29 AM

Celebs I've met:

You know, funny enough I was just ruminating on Facebook about this - here, in [] I've added some notes.

"Huh, you know what else is interesting? In the electronic music world I've actually met people in many of what I consider the most important bands and/or the actual producer behind the pseudonym. One of the big advantages of rave culture I suppose.

Met - 
Jack Dangers (MBM) [Very cool, mellow, gracious. As was the rest of the band. Had "Texas Jackalope" postcard on the bus, heh.]
LX Paterson (Orb) (several times) [Another very gracious gent. One occasion I saw him in passing going from soundcheck to backstage. Caught me looking at him and said "Can I help you?" Oops! I thought fast and said "Sure, shake my hand!" He cracked up, smiled, and obliged.]
Mr C (The Shamen) [Another total class act. Really happy that it worked out that someone in such a pivotal - to my own rave history - "Move Any Mountain" was the toe in the door - role turned out to be really mellow, interesting, and fun.]

Not to mention many DJs of course, but here I'm restricting this to personal most-important artists/albums etc. Hon. mention to Rob Vaughn though, what a rocker he was (Dallas) and a real gent to boot.

Not met -
Daum Bentley (Freaky Chakra) (but may not be desirable anyway)
Richard James (Aphex Twin)
Liam Howlett (Prodigy) (again, not sure would want to)

There's tons of rock musicians I'd like to at least say hi to but it just ain't how it goes, even at the smaller club level generally. I think I met some people in a support band outside of Ikon (Tulsa) once...."

#40 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:24 AM

Dave Mustaine is an amazing amiable kind of guy. Had a meet and greet with him. Long conversation about Rush and Yes and their non entry into the RnRHoF. Almost missed band meeting and the show. Super intelligent and articulate guy. Loves fans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users