8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:49 AM

I am just now discovering this band (thanks to their Tiny Desk performance) and thought a few peeps here would like them as well.  You might need to be in the right mood to appreciate them, and while the music is not groundbreaking, it can definitely scratch a certain itch.

From their Bandcamp page:

Khruangbin is a three-piece band from Texas, formed of Laura Lee on bass, Mark Speer on guitar, and Donald Johnson on drums. Taking influence from 1960's Thai funk - their name literally translates to "Engine Fly" in Thai - Khruangbin is steeped in the bass heavy, psychedelic sound of their inspiration,

#2 Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:50 AM

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

Bought two of their albums a couple of weeks ago after hearing them on Gilles Peterson's show on 6 Music, where I've heard quite a bit of good new stuff this year or three.

I especially like Con Todo El Mundo.

https://khruangbin.b...america-edition

#4 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

With platforms like Bandcamp, we really are living in a golden age for independent musicians who can at least get their ideas out there (even if the mainstream is a wasteland).

This is great.  Thanks for sharing!  Definitely picking up some of this stuff.

Though Laura's bent wrist hurts to watch.  That young lady is going to be hurting if she keeps playing like that.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#5 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

Fantastic. That bassist is mesmerizing.

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

Really cool stuff there. Will listen to more of it later.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#7 Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:08 AM

Bought two of their albums a couple of weeks ago after hearing them on Gilles Peterson's show on 6 Music, where I've heard quite a bit of good new stuff this year or three.

I especially like Con Todo El Mundo.

https://khruangbin.b...america-edition

Nice.  Hey, if Slim likes it, it's got to be good.  :)

With platforms like Bandcamp, we really are living in a golden age for independent musicians who can at least get their ideas out there (even if the mainstream is a wasteland).

This is great.  Thanks for sharing!  Definitely picking up some of this stuff.

Though Laura's bent wrist hurts to watch.  That young lady is going to be hurting if she keeps playing like that.

You're welcome, glad you're enjoying it.  I see the bent wrist, but she looks pretty comfortable and it doesn't look much different from other bassists' posture I've seen.  What am I missing?

Fantastic. That bassist is mesmerizing.

Agree, so beautiful and she can really play.  That drummer really knows how to hold the pocket, too -- such feel and he never misses a beat.  Guitarist is also top notch.  As good as they are individually, this is another synergy thing where they become much more as a trio.

Really cool stuff there. Will listen to more of it later.

One of the peeps I thought of when starting the thread.  :)

#8 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

I watched an interview with Laura a few days ago in which she said that the ring she wears on her left hand makes her play 20% worse, but it makes her look 40% cooler.

Also I can't remember seeing another bass player who left the "ashtray" on a Fender bass.

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:54 AM

Finally got the chance to listen to more of this. Love the psychedelic atmospherics! What style. Love the genre mixing in the second song from that Pitchfork live performance. I can only describe it as instrumental psychedelic philly soul. Chill to the max. A hipster band that cares about musicianship. In other words, a unicorn.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users