#1 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Imagine the following scenario.

You live in a post-apocalypse Britain. You're the only survivor of some devastating event in the entire country. Everyone else has left, or is dead.

Except for a gang of 12 men intent on finding you. You can assume they're armed and have vehicles. Perhaps they've broken into old army bases and taken Land Rovers, night vision equipment and powerful weapons. But they won't have aircraft. They could be soldiers of some hostile army, or pirates, or psychopaths. It doesn't matter. They are looking for you.

There's no electricity unless you can find equipment to generate some yourself. But there are plenty of gas lights, camping stoves, there's plenty of food. You can fish or hunt animals, or just live on tinned food from deserted supermarkets. You'll surely be able to find a vehicle and fuel.

Britain is a country with a surface area of about 81,000 sq miles. About the same as Kansas, Minnesota or Idaho, for our American friends, or more than twice the size of British Columbia, for Canadian readers. It has a few big cities, large towns, small towns, villages, mountains, huge natural spaces, like most other countries.

What would you do? Would you find a place in a city and stay there? Find some remote location in the Lake District or the Scottish Highlands? Would you try to live a normal life as far as possible, content that 12 men in a country that size would be unlikely ever to find you? Or would you stay indoors, staying away from the windows, moving around by dark, and only as far as absolutely necessary? Would you move around from place to place? Would you prefer a hilltop location with a good view all around, or would that be too conspicuous?

They could be searching for you as a group of 12, or split up into 6 pairs, or 3 groups of 4 or any other combination, searching randomly or scouring the country methodically. You have no way to know.

How would you live?

#2 Lemony Cake

Lemony Cake

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

You live in a post-apocalypse Britain. You're the only survivor of some devastating event in the entire country. Everyone else has left, or is dead.

Except for a gang of 12 men intent on finding you. You can assume they're armed and have vehicles. Perhaps they've broken into old army bases and taken Land Rovers, night vision equipment and powerful weapons. But they won't have aircraft. They could be soldiers of some hostile army, or pirates, or psychopaths. It doesn't matter. They are looking for you.

There's no electricity unless you can find equipment to generate some yourself. But there are plenty of gas lights, camping stoves, there's plenty of food. You can fish or hunt animals, or just live on tinned food from deserted supermarkets. You'll surely be able to find a vehicle and fuel.

Britain is a country with a surface area of about 81,000 sq miles. About the same as Kansas, Minnesota or Idaho, for our American friends, or more than twice the size of British Columbia, for Canadian readers. It has a few big cities, large towns, small towns, villages, mountains, huge natural spaces, like most other countries.

What would you do? Would you find a place in a city and stay there? Find some remote location in the Lake District or the Scottish Highlands? Would you try to live a normal life as far as possible, content that 12 men in a country that size would be unlikely ever to find you? Or would you stay indoors, staying away from the windows, moving around by dark, and only as far as absolutely necessary? Would you move around from place to place? Would you prefer a hilltop location with a good view all around, or would that be too conspicuous?

They could be searching for you as a group of 12, or split up into 6 pairs, or 3 groups of 4 or any other combination, searching randomly or scouring the country methodically. You have no way to know.

How would you live?

Check your stats, mate.

#3 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

Going on the theory that when you're lost, you should remain in one place, I'd be moving around, but before I did that, I would find somewhere I considered secure and fortify it as best I could. I'd move under the cover of darkness, taking shelter in a cave or in the tallest building I could find during the day. Ideally, you'd happen across a home previously owned by a good Mormon/doomsday prepper because they'd have lots of supplies you could use. 

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#4 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:32 PM

Check your stats, mate.

Thanks! I'm sure I saw somewhere that BC was 35,000 sq miles in surface area but apparently it isn't.

So let's go with "a bit more than twice the size of Nova Scotia".

#5 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

Going on the theory that when you're lost, you should remain in one place, I'd be moving around

Yes. I hadn't really thought of that. If you want to be found, stay in one place. So better not to do that.

I'd look for low-visibility clothing. Camo gear for the countryside, maybe even urban camo for cities and towns. I'd try to find a weapon early on - a rifle, a pistol. Not that easy in what used to be the UK, but maybe a rifle range or an army base. No target practice though. And of course I'd want to minimise my risk by avoiding, as far as possible, going to predictable places with lots of goodies.

I'd look for an inconspicuous vehicle, quiet and painted in a drab colour

I'd have a set of protocols. No driving on a sunny, high visibility day. Maybe no driving at all except at dusk (enough light to do without headlights, not enough to be seen easily at a distance).

I'd do my best never to leave signs that I'd been there, never to leave tracks.

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:23 PM

Best be sure those 12 guys are going to split up into single units. They are going to scout the countryside first and then report to the group if they see any signs of you. Of course it would be hard to determine if they choose this course of action. Perhaps logic dictates that they would travel in pairs. I think you would have to devise a way to track their progress and their whereabouts. If not to neutralize them then to try and predict what their next move might be.

#7 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:19 AM

I'd find a boat and sail to America.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

If there are no other people, it’ll be easy for the dirty dozen to use infra red tech to find heat singnatures at night. So forget using a fire to cook your food outdoors, or
using a residential fireplace. Using a car is a bad idea too, since they’ll be able to detect a running auto from 5-10 miles away. They’ll see it, and of course hear it.

I think it’s best to head to hill country, or a vast wilderness area. Limited roads will work to your advantage, since you can observe comings and goings. Limited structures will make it more difficult for the 12 to investigate from a distance. You want them to investigate in smaller numbers. Don’t give be them a reason to show up in force.

Also - cook, hunt, fish a good distance from where you hide. Of course store your food in a cave, or within a natural structure, or wherever you reside, but do your foraging/hunting somewhere else.

Perhaps hit the library and track down the Anarchist’s Cookbook, and books on guerilla tactics in Vietnam. Find the novelization of First Blood too! Lol.

Prob best to face the fact that you will eventually run into one or all of them. They will likely kill/capture you, but you need as much advantage as possible. High ground, food, weapons, and supplies will work in your favor.

Granted - you are fucked. Loved ones are dead. There is really just the primitive drive for survival keeping you alive. So a fight is probably the best thing that’s going to happen.
In certain respects this desperation will give you an advantage over this group of 12. They are a society, and likely a sort of family. They will value their personal welfare more than yourself. An enemy with little to lose should be feared. Psychologically speaking, it could be an even match.

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:45 AM

Yes. I hadn't really thought of that. If you want to be found, stay in one place. So better not to do that.

I'd look for low-visibility clothing. Camo gear for the countryside, maybe even urban camo for cities and towns. I'd try to find a weapon early on - a rifle, a pistol. Not that easy in what used to be the UK, but maybe a rifle range or an army base. No target practice though. And of course I'd want to minimise my risk by avoiding, as far as possible, going to predictable places with lots of goodies.

I'd look for an inconspicuous vehicle, quiet and painted in a drab colour

I'd have a set of protocols. No driving on a sunny, high visibility day. Maybe no driving at all except at dusk (enough light to do without headlights, not enough to be seen easily at a distance).

I'd do my best never to leave signs that I'd been there, never to leave tracks.

Would you also fight for justice for those who need it as you move from town to town? Oh wait... Sorry. That's the plot for Kung Fu.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#10 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:26 AM

Interesting responses.

Best be sure those 12 guys are going to split up into single units. They are going to scout the countryside first and then report to the group if they see any signs of you. Of course it would be hard to determine if they choose this course of action. Perhaps logic dictates that they would travel in pairs. I think you would have to devise a way to track their progress and their whereabouts. If not to neutralize them then to try and predict what their next move might be.

Of course the ultimate, expert level way to approach this problem is to engage them in a war of attrition, taking them out one by one by ambushing them or laying booby traps. That's what Jack Bauer or Casey Ryback would do. Like a huge-scale version of Under Siege.

Practically though I don't think it's possible to track their progress - say you're hiding out on a housing estate on the outskirts of Northampton - how can you hope to know the whereabouts or intentions of men hundreds, or even just a few miles away?

Here's a thought - one thing you could do is set up an early warning system with wires stretched across roads connected to hand grenades looped round trees, farm gates, telephone poles, whatever. If it works you'd hear someone coming from a few miles away. But you'd also be confirming that you were, or had been, somewhere in the area.

Also while breaking into a deserted army base might be easy enough in itself, you'd probably have to find the keys to the armoury to get hold of goodies like sniper rifles, hand grenades and so on.

Probably best just to keep a low profile, find somewhere quiet and anonymous, lay low and go somewhere else every few weeks. If you do that I think you'd be very unlucky to be found, ever. There are just too many roads, too many housing estates, too many habitable places.

#11 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

I’m an urban fellow. Really with everyone else gone, what’s the point of running/fighting? I would probably hang out in a London pub and enjoy the free booze until the inevitable.

Perhaps I’d throw them off the scent first - find a camping/hunting/fishing store and ransack it while leaving behind traces that I was there. Make them think I headed to the countryside.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#12 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

I think you're going to want to avoid obvious places. Don't spend your years having it large in George Harrison's old mansion, Buckingham Palace or even a big detached house. Find a decent but unexceptional terraced house or semi-detached somewhere on a big housing estate. Somewhere that isn't overlooked by higher ground. Maybe somewhere near a wood so you can leg it out the back door and hide if they ever turn up. Have a car waiting to go on the other side of the wood, with water, a few tins, a can opener, a torch (flashlight).

Presumably some of the houses in the area will be locked so if they come to perform a methodical search of your housing estate, you'll hear other places being broken into.

#13 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

#14 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

First off - would they know my last/original location at the time of the hunt?  That's a big question, because if they don't then I'm as unknown to them as they are to me.

Of course, I'd have to act as if they did know.

So initially rough it and avoid staying anywhere they'd expect me to find comfort. Take some minimal supplies from somewhere, including a map and compass if I could find them, and head out, increasing the distance from my origin non-linearlly. Meaning, don't travel in a straight path, don't travel as far as they'd expect one to travel in a day. Change direction once or twice a day. while still trending away from the origin.

Lay low and quiet and observe. Do I hear pursuit? Do I hear them moving in from a specific direction or directions? Act tactically based on that.

Strategy is to move away in an unpredictable manner. Then find a home base that they wouldn't expect. But on the run, I think it's conceivable to assume that I'd be making it up as I went along.

Stay away from obvious sources of food water. Could be traps, and watched. Break into houses instead (behind and no 2 in the same area) - which isn't that hard in practice. Especially with no one else around.

I would also have to assume that their resources or interest would wane after a time. The hunt would probably be most intense in the first couple of days, steady and methodical for a month or two. Then they'd re-evaluate and decide if I was still worth pursuing.  I mean, they do have lives away from all this crazyness, right? What's the end game for them if they can't find me versus other competing interests? 

If they don't know I'm still alive, how long is a search really feasible? Even a psychopath gives up after a while.

falconext.png

#15 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:19 PM

Why are they looking for you? How do you know they're looking for you, or that they're "bad guys'? Maybe you have skills that they want to add to their team?
I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#16 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:28 AM

Hide on Dartmoor. Rolling terrain, few paths. Sound not carrying in the mist. Poor visibility.

Get a rifle.

#17 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:13 AM

I think you're going to want to avoid obvious places. Don't spend your years having it large in George Harrison's old mansion, Buckingham Palace or even a big detached house. Find a decent but unexceptional terraced house or semi-detached somewhere on a big housing estate. Somewhere that isn't overlooked by higher ground. Maybe somewhere near a wood so you can leg it out the back door and hide if they ever turn up. Have a car waiting to go on the other side of the wood, with water, a few tins, a can opener, a torch (flashlight).

Presumably some of the houses in the area will be locked so if they come to perform a methodical search of your housing estate, you'll hear other places being broken into.

Or use a double-bluff and hide in plain sight.
"That guy wouldn't possibly..." and then you do.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#18 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:59 PM

Hide on Dartmoor. Rolling terrain, few paths. Sound not carrying in the mist. Poor visibility.

Get a rifle.

But where would you live? It's a bit exposed there, isn't it?

#19 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:40 PM

But where would you live? It's a bit exposed there, isn't it?

Plenty of cottages.  I could keep warm with a wood fire and the generally damp climate would suppress the smoke making it hard for the twelve blokes to spot me.  I could predate on sheep using a crossbow, so the blokes wouldn't hear rifle fire.

If one of their patrols got close I would stay quiet and hope they move on.

#20 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:48 PM

A crossbow, nice idea. And if one of the bad guys comes through the door, you can get him in the throat so he can't call out to his mate.

But I like the safety in numbers of living somewhere in a built up area, like a needle in a haystack. Easier to run and hide, as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users