22 replies to this topic

#21 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,539 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:37 AM

Carmine Appice, the main writer of the song and Stewart’s drummer envisioned it more as a take on of “Miss You”. It was to be heavier. Then they added those damned string or string synths to it. Like s DX7 to 80s cheese it instantly dated it. He said this on Stern I believe.  Appice is definitely a master songwriter/arranger.  They should have listened to him.

Well as the quote from Hitchings points out, Stewart wanted to do a parody of disco lounge lizards. How would that work making the song heavier and grittier? Don't get me wrong, the song was annoying even then let alone now but as a marketing move it was pure genius.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#22 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,859 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

Well as the quote from Hitchings points out, Stewart wanted to do a parody of disco lounge lizards. How would that work making the song heavier and grittier? Don't get me wrong, the song was annoying even then let alone now but as a marketing move it was pure genius.

Yes.  It was Appice's song and Stewart, the label and producers put the stupid string track and sax solo on it.  Imagine it without those strings and sax.  You'd basically have a Stewart-voiced "Miss You" clone.

#23 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:40 AM

Artistic merit aside, it sure worked for the market. It was a world-wide hit.

In a 2007 interview, co-writer Duane Hitchings noted that "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" was a spoof on guys from the 'cocaine lounge lizards' of the Saturday Night Fever days. We Rock and Roll guys thought we were dead meat when that movie and the Bee Gees came out. The Bee Gees were brilliant musicians and really nice people. No big egos. Rod, in his brilliance, decided to do a spoof on disco. VERY smart man. There is no such thing as a "dumb" super success in the music business.

But Miss You is a wonder to behold. It brought disco out of the mirror-balled clubs into the dregs of the street.

Yep, Some Girls is world-class. Almost every song has that same level both of quality and grit. As for "Sexy" - see the RevCo version for what I consider to be the full realization of the track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users