22 replies to this topic

#1 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:34 AM

I have heard that Neil particularly disliked playing this song... and it has always struck me that it is one of the few, or perhaps only, Rush songs to have no tom fills whatsoever.

Now, if Neil made the artistic choice that THAT is what served that song best, I'm not totally clear why he would not enjoy playing that song live.... I mean, if it's his compositional choice, why would he dislike it?  Which makes me wonder....

Do you think it was pressure from the producer and/or the other two guys to have the drum part be that way?  It is particularly odd for a Rush drum part...do you think he did that kicking and screaming?

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#2 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:42 AM

Well I think you can play a part that "serves the song" and yet not particularly care for it.  I'm not sure how else he could have played it.  Seems like the riff kind of necessitated a certain drum part, and maybe he didn't like not having the room to do something else.  Maybe he just didn't care for the song itself.  It's one that I quickly started skipping when listening to CP...

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:44 AM

It’s definitely one of the more groove/backbeat oriented songs in the oeuvre.

Perhaps Neil had problems with the pocket. He used to fill his way out of every section - he very skillfully distracted the listener from his early timekeeping problems.

I don’t like the song very much - it’s a bit too long, but I do think that he tended to lay back more on many more songs after this. Especially with the singles.

I remember when he discussed Far Cry and Raskulinisz wanted that Latin ride pattern for the chorus. Peart had exclaimed that he “didn’t play like that anymore”.

Check out Half the World too. Perhaps it became part of his formula to hold back with the singles.

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:47 AM

Raskulinisz

Haha.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#5 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:06 AM

I think if Neil was to be upset about anything with this song, it would be Alex's backing vocals...or even Geddy's vocals, for that matter.

lol

#6 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

It’s definitely one of the more groove/backbeat oriented songs in the oeuvre.

Perhaps Neil had problems with the pocket. He used to fill his way out of every section - he very skillfully distracted the listener from his early timekeeping problems.

I don’t like the song very much - it’s a bit too long, but I do think that he tended to lay back more on many more songs after this. Especially with the singles.

I remember when he discussed Far Cry and Raskulinisz wanted that Latin ride pattern for the chorus. Peart had exclaimed that he “didn’t play like that anymore”.

Check out Half the World too. Perhaps it became part of his formula to hold back with the singles.

Good points - but in comparison, Half The World is riddled with drum fills.  I'm just curious if, given what was on the radio at the time, the producer pressured Neil to make the song sound more like a mainstream "grunge" song...which don't tend to have 16th notes on 6" toms....

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

Good points - but in comparison, Half The World is riddled with drum fills. I'm just curious if, given what was on the radio at the time, the producer pressured Neil to make the song sound more like a mainstream "grunge" song...which don't tend to have 16th notes on 6" toms....

Yes but HTW has a very consistent beat in the verses and chorus. He fills through transitions, but most rock pop compositions are like that.

I think Neil in this era is building more around a repeated riff - also like in Far Cry - than with a strong melody - like with Subdivisions or Distant Early Warning.

The tendency is to lay into a groove when the rest is ostinato too.

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,961 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

I think if Neil was to be upset about anything with this song, it would be Alex's backing vocals...or even Geddy's vocals, for that matter.

lol

Yeah, those were definitely wrong for the song.  They should have went old school Rush and not multi tracked the vocal.  They were going for a rawer sound, to match the grunge era and like many 70s/80s bands that tried this, they failed.  They were the  "Da ya Think I'm Sexy" or "I Was Made For Loving You" of the grunge era versus the properly executed "Miss You"

#9 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

He disliked playing it... I disliked hearing it.  Awful song, lousy album.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

Obviously a Rush fan made this entry at the Urban Dictionary. lol

stick it out

a killer hit from the 1993 hit album "Counterparts" by the Canadian progressive/hard rock band Rush. A great inspirational and uplifting (and rocking) tune to listen to when you're the minority on a certain point of view, people around you behave like programmed androids that question nothing and can't think for themselves, and you know that you are right.

... Stick it out 
Don't swallow the poison 
Spit it out 
Don't swallow the lies 
Stick it out 
Don't swallow your anger 
Spit it out 
Don't swallow your pride 
Stick it out 
Stick it out...

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:47 PM

Yeah, those were definitely wrong for the song.  They should have went old school Rush and not multi tracked the vocal.  They were going for a rawer sound, to match the grunge era and like many 70s/80s bands that tried this, they failed.  They were the  "Da ya Think I'm Sexy" or "I Was Made For Loving You" of the grunge era versus the properly executed "Miss You"

Artistic merit aside, it sure worked for the market. It was a world-wide hit.

In a 2007 interview, co-writer Duane Hitchings noted that "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" was a spoof on guys from the 'cocaine lounge lizards' of the Saturday Night Fever days. We Rock and Roll guys thought we were dead meat when that movie and the Bee Gees came out. The Bee Gees were brilliant musicians and really nice people. No big egos. Rod, in his brilliance, decided to do a spoof on disco. VERY smart man. There is no such thing as a "dumb" super success in the music business.

But Miss You is a wonder to behold. It brought disco out of the mirror-balled clubs into the dregs of the street.

#12 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

I love it, and the album (mostly) as a whole.

*ducks*

#13 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Cut to the Chase is pure badassery.  

Stick It Out is a disappointment...in every possible way.  Almost as amazing as Superconductor.

#14 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Cut to the Chase is pure badassery.

Stick It Out is a disappointment...in every possible way. Almost as amazing as Superconductor.

Why the FUCK did they never play it live?

#15 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

I'll never understand that either.  And why would they keep playing Force Fucking 10 over and over.  I mean, it's not a terrible song, but CttC, damn, that shit gives me the willies.  Would have been amazing live...

#16 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:39 PM

Why the FUCK did they never play it live?

Agreed. I thought maybe it would surface on the R40 tour, but alas it did not.

#17 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:45 PM

Well spoken, sir.

#18 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:32 AM

Artistic merit aside, it sure worked for the market. It was a world-wide hit.

In a 2007 interview, co-writer Duane Hitchings noted that "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" was a spoof on guys from the 'cocaine lounge lizards' of the Saturday Night Fever days. We Rock and Roll guys thought we were dead meat when that movie and the Bee Gees came out. The Bee Gees were brilliant musicians and really nice people. No big egos. Rod, in his brilliance, decided to do a spoof on disco. VERY smart man. There is no such thing as a "dumb" super success in the music business.

But Miss You is a wonder to behold. It brought disco out of the mirror-balled clubs into the dregs of the street.

Carmine Appice, the main writer of the song and Stewart’s drummer envisioned it more as a take on of “Miss You”. It was to be heavier. Then they added those damned string or string synths to it. Like s DX7 to 80s cheese it instantly dated it. He said this on Stern I believe.  Appice is definitely a master songwriter/arranger.  They should have listened to him.

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:46 AM

I missed something here. Does Lifeson sing on the studio take?

#20 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:08 AM

I missed something here. Does Lifeson sing on the studio take?

It's possible he did.  Not sure. Nobody's every really claimed that, it's an odd backing vocal, subpar even.  It may be possible that they layered in in three part harmony and pulled back one of the tracks later to make it sound more edgy.  Hard to say how they and Peter Collins ended up with it this way.  IMO, I'd love to hear this song with only a lead vocal, like the old days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users