grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,997 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:37 AM

Hello. Remember me?

So, some of you may remember (probably not) that about the last time i posted... (20 months ago?), I was being harassed by a boss who just happened to be a sociopath. As I predicted, the cocksucker cut me loose. Laid off after over 20 years at the same faceless huge megabank.

It happened at the right time of course, because at about the same time my wife became critically ill and almost died. So it was a blessing that I had time off to take care of her. Plus severance to pay the bills..which only lasted for a while. Then I had to cut my future short by digging into not only my savings but my 401K Plan.  Brutal.

19 months I've been out of work. My full time job was to look for a job and educate myself. 

Well it finally fucking worked. I'm starting a new gig on May 14th for another huge faceless megabank. Not making as much money, but the hell with it. I need to work. I'll get back to where i need to be soon enough.

So here I am. Feel good posting again... and doing a bunch of other hobby stuff, because I don't have to look for a job for a while.

But i will never forget. I thought I was secure, I thought my knowledge would keep me safe. Nothing keeps you safe with these big companies. My new mantra is to still work my ass off, but be looking to structure what i do so as to get my next job, rather than build a future with the place I'm working at.

I don't care any more. Fuck loyalty (as Brienne of Tarth said). I'm loyal to my wife, kid and to me.

You guys who know me on FB... all the photos of my wife, and those sunset photos, were, and are, a message and a celebration that she's still here. She's what's important.

Anyway, yeah. I'm back.

Fuck. This sucks though. There's no more Rush. Though I suspect Nick would say that's been the case since the last note of LVS back in 78.

falconext.png

#2 Oak

Oak

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

Great to see you back and on your feet grep!  I'm sorry to hear that you almost lost your wife but glad that you have found perspective on what truly matters in life.  Best of luck in your new position.  Work hard, make new friends, but remember to leave the stress at the desk and enjoy your blessings at home.

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

You've had a real tough go of it, Grep. Life is filled with landmines. Glad to hear your wife has recovered from her illness. Wishing the best for you and yours in the future and great to see you back posting again. 

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Onward and upward.  Glad to see you back!

#5 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,997 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

Thanks guys.

One thing I can offer after everything is this:  Save for a rainy day. You never know when you're going to need it.

falconext.png

#6 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

Hi grep

Best of health and happiness to you and your family. Hopefully the worst is behind you.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#7 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

Welcome back.  Sounds like you deserve some calmer waters for awhile.  Wishing them your way.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#8 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:19 PM

Glad to see you back again. I hope everything works out for you. It sounds like you’re doing the right thing.

#9 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:26 PM

Wow...I'm so glad to hear things are looking up for you, grep. We've missed you around here!

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#10 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:49 PM

Welcome back!!!

Hey you’ve got the right attitude

#11 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:53 PM

Glad things are turning around for you, grep! :)

#12 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:50 PM

S'up!  

I didn't know you had gone through all that despite FB.  Glad things are turning around for you, man...

#13 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:15 PM

Glad you are back on your feet. I've been with the same company for 30 years and although I am quite secure I know that they could cut me loose at any time for any reason if they chose to. (It wasn't like that in the past though)  

As far as loyalty goes, my feeling is that if an employer has no loyalty towards you, then you shouldn't have any towards them. Look out for # 1.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users