7 replies to this topic

#1 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

...When I hear them, it gives forth bewilderment.

They have syllables that vibrate and make music

What can these words be that I found?

-At 2:50

#2 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:44 PM

I always found this track to be one of the most fascinating pieces of Rush lore!  Really awesome insight into the writing and evolution of their most famous song.

#3 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:12 PM

Did he forget the lyrics or maybe he was really baked?

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#4 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,926 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:15 AM

Could you imagine, twenty years down the road, being able to say you were at that show?  The show where they worked on a rough draft of Tom Sawyer?  Man.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,715 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:49 AM

That solo is a Nigel Tufnel special if I ever heard one. Haha.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#6 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

That solo is a Nigel Tufnel special if I ever heard one. Haha.

HAHAHA!!

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,715 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:07 AM

Here's another one where the lyrics don't seem to be 100% of what they would eventually become. Either that or Ged is just mangling them. The song was only two weeks old at this point, after all.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,947 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

I've heard this before and always find it interesting the first time an audience hears a song before it's released.  I've had similar experience on the Radio City Music Hall shows in '83 when the Grace Under Pressure songs were debuted.  Those lyrics were set, however.  Also it's fun to go and listen to when Stairway was played pre-release by Zeppelin as well (I'll find and post that later)  My theory is those are the Pye Dubois lyrics, unaltered.  Now you can see what Neil (and Geddy) contributed lyrically to the song (order, feel mostly).

I'm not a lyrics guy, but I find this song to be the most un-Rushlike because it's more like flashes of thoughts and statements rather than a story/narrative like most are.  Compare Tom Sawyer to Red Barchetta, for example.  Different band almost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users