11 replies to this topic

#1 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,850 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

What does everyone think of the new episodes?  I was never a fan of the original show, though I caught a few episodes here and there and in reruns. 

#2 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,453 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:54 PM

It was okay, but a little heavy handed with the political back and forth.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

It was okay, but a little heavy handed with the political back and forth.

Agree.  The politics lightened up in the second episode.  The second episode was very much like a good original run episode.

#4 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

Didn't watch it back in the 80s and have no desire to watch it now.

• Bones and EZrhythm like this

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

The sewer pipe queen

Dangles my dream
Makes all that I've seen
Seem so obscene - Kings X, Skeptical Winds

#5 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

I genuinely LOL'd in a few spots. Something a network sitcom hasn't made me do in long time. Not a huge fan of Rosanne Barr, but she's great in that character. Goodman is real...good. Also, I thought it was clever how they brought the two Becky's together. For those who don't know, two different actresses played the older child in the original run.

That said, I watched out of curiosity and nostalgia, but I'll probably not watch another episode. Baseball season is here!! 

• EZrhythm likes this

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#6 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

Im with Jeffro    i didnt  watch it back in the originals and will not now.   Im not a fan of Rosanne.     I use to like the show " Mad about you "   with Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser.  :o  :o 

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#7 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

I genuinely LOL'd in a few spots. Something a network sitcom hasn't made me do in long time. Not a huge fan of Rosanne Barr, but she's great in that character. Goodman is real...good. Also, I thought it was clever how they brought the two Becky's together. For those who don't know, two different actresses played the older child in the original run.

That said, I watched out of curiosity and nostalgia, but I'll probably not watch another episode. Baseball season is here!! 

I never was a fan of Roseanne but I can see that she definitely has talent.  Goodman is the reason to watch this or anything that he is in.  I grew to appreciate him as an actor over the years.  He shines in everything his is in.  I'm not much of a TV watcher, but I'll watch "events" like this.  As I sample various TV at times, never really getting committed to anything, I find this show is a refreshing throwback and not because it's an actual throwback.  I appreciate the style of a family sitcom with a family who is self-admittedly, weird.  It's like a real life Bob's Burgers in that regard.  I might give it another episode.

• The Macallan and EZrhythm like this

#8 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:09 PM

I actually liked the old show, I liked the smartassery and one liners, and the way they dealt with real shit in a funny way. They did a few "jump the shark" things like the musical number, etc. But then most long running sitcoms ended up doing that. They often had many inside jokes especially with the Becky's.

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#9 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:06 PM

I haven't seen this, but it reminded me of one of the funniest damn roasts ever.  The roast for her was truly hilarious...a bunch of b-listers that just went full bore on her.  Super funny.   Looks like to view it, you have to have a cable provider (which is the dumbest shit ever), but here's the part where Tom Arnold does his thing as the last act.  

#10 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:37 PM

I remember when Rosanne debuted her original stand-up act.

#11 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

^^^That could’ve been a disaster if she wasn’t having such a good time.

#12 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:19 PM

I actually liked the old show, I liked the smartassery and one liners, and the way they dealt with real shit in a funny way. They did a few "jump the shark" things like the musical number, etc. But then most long running sitcoms ended up doing that. They often had many inside jokes especially with the Becky's.

Yes, good review.  I liked it - probably didn't love it - but I think now that I'm a parent I would find it even funnier.  The way she called her kids out on their bullshit was pretty hilarious.

John Goodman and Sarah Gilbert were great actors, which helped the show a lot.  It's pretty impressive looking back how good Gilbert's comedic timing was at that age.

• baldiepete likes this

LYqbjSn.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users