Photo

Facebook released the info of 50 million users to the Trump campaign.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

Of course they are spinning it like the info was improperly obtained, but they knew about this in 2015. They are just now suspending Cambridge Analytica.

https://www.theguard...ix-bannon-trump

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

Facebook is acting as an indentity provider to so many sites.  Whenever you get that "sign up with Facebook" link, you're essentially linking them to your identity on Facebook and/or using Facebook to authenticate.  I really don't think Facebook is secure enough to use in this way anyway.  If you are using Facebook to authenticate you to shopping sites, especially, I would stop that practice people.  Sign up with an email address and create a password.  Facebook is not your friend, never was.  They are providing lots of service, but security is likely lacking.  Don't use them as your personal security in this way if you can avoid.  If your Facebook is compromised, everything connected to it is.

As for the situation at hand here in the OP, this is just standard Facebook and how it operates.  Nothing more.  At least it just delivered advertising and didn't mess up anyone's stuff.

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:08 PM

Cambridge Analytica created one of those apps - those fun looking things you see posted in your timeline. Basically asking the user psychology questions. They were able to create psychological profiles based on that extra information.

The entire purpose of facebook’s existence is to farm your personal info and sell it.

Facebook did not enforce their rules against CA because they engage in the same activities.

#4 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

“The academic had developed a Facebook app which featured a personality quiz, and Cambridge Analytica paid for people to take it, advertising on platforms such as Amazon’s Mechanical Turk.

The app recorded the results of each quiz, collected data from the taker’s Facebook account – and, crucially, extracted the data of their Facebook friends as well.

The results were paired with each quiz-taker’s Facebook data to seek out patterns and build an algorithm to predict results for other Facebook users. Their friends’ profiles provided a testing ground for the formula and, more crucially, a resource that would make the algorithm politically valuable.”

https://www.theguard...-data-algorithm

#5 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

Certainly algorithms are utilized in profiling and predicting consumers of certain products, so they can engage and convert them.

It seems obvious that this work for politics in the same fashion.

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Cambridge Analytica created one of those apps - those fun looking things you see posted in your timeline. Basically asking the user psychology questions. They were able to create psychological profiles based on that extra information.

The entire purpose of facebook’s existence is to farm your personal info and sell it.

Facebook did not enforce their rules against CA because they engage in the same activities.

And the way people blatantly give Facebook permission to sell their activity and identities is unreal.  Click on one of those things that give info to a third party today?  People do this in the name of playing games, answering quizzes etc. When you click on that quiz, you are giving a third party data mining firm access to your profile and allowing them to correlate your quiz answers with your personal information.

I am further shocked at the people who post in public rather than to friends only.  I've gotten in some threads there and I look up and I see the globe instead of the two people figures and I'm like, "oh crap I've got to delete this"  Why do people shout their opinions out a window when it can be correlated with all of your personal information?!?!?!  People are idiots.

#7 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

Facebook thought they were on the other side?  Who cares?

You can blame the Obama campaign for this too:

Ex-Obama Campaign Director Drops Bombshell Claim on Facebook: 'They Were on Our Side'
JASON HOWERTON | MAR 19, 2018 | 12:00 PM

A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidson, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters. They would then use that data to do things like append their email lists.

15h

Carol Davidsen
@cld276
An article written in 2012 about a project code named tärgus http://swampland.tim...h-young-voters/

Carol Davidsen
@cld276
An example of how we used that data to append to our email lists. pic.twitter.com/VHhSukvXDY

10:53 PM - Mar 18, 2018
View image on Twitter
22 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
When Facebook found out what they were doing, they were “surprised,” she said. But she also claimed they didn’t stop them once they found out:

14h

Carol Davidsen
@cld276
Replying to @cld276
An example of how we used that data to append to our email lists. pic.twitter.com/VHhSukvXDY

Carol Davidsen
@cld276
Facebook was surprised we were able to suck out the whole social graph, but they didn’t stop us once they realized that was what we were doing.

11:02 PM - Mar 18, 2018
33 people are talking about this
“They came to office in the days following election recruiting & were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side,” Davidson tweeted.

Douglas Graham /CQ Roll Call/Getty
She added that she believes Facebook also recruits people “on the other side” too:

14h

Carol Davidsen
@cld276
Replying to @cld276
They came to office in the days following election recruiting &  were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side.

Carol Davidsen
@cld276
I am also 100% positive that Facebook activity recruits and staffs people that are on the other side.

11:03 PM - Mar 18, 2018
15 people are talking about this
14h

Carol Davidsen
@cld276
Replying to @cld276

Carol Davidsen
@cld276
I worked on all of the data integration projects at OFA. This was the only one that felt creepy, even though we played by the rules, and didn’t do anything I felt was ugly, with the data.

11:06 PM - Mar 18, 2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users