82 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,710 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:43 PM

Who does it best? Who does it not so best?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

I like this one for its weirdness:

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,710 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:46 PM

^^^ Yeah that's a cool one.

Here's a super tight one with harmonized vocals. Pretty fun although I'm not too keen on the singer's voice.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,946 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:04 AM

It's definitely not the easiest song to cover.  Having tried it many times myself, we just skipped it.  Maybe played it live once or twice.  I think Rush barely does an acceptable job of playing it live.  The studio version far exceeds any version.  I'll look for a few more later on.

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,710 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:21 AM

It's definitely not the easiest song to cover.  Having tried it many times myself, we just skipped it.  Maybe played it live once or twice.  I think Rush barely does an acceptable job of playing it live.  The studio version far exceeds any version.  I'll look for a few more later on.

The test for playing it live for me is can the band play the beginning tightly and the crazy 'tumbling down the hill' section at 3:36 with precision. I've seen so many bands on You Tube mess those parts up live and sort of hope no one notices. I think sometimes Rush did too. lol.  Also, tell me if I'm wrong, but the drum part seems pretty hard too, at least for the average bar band player.

I think YYNOT does it pretty well. This is from their March Florida gig. Their new drummer played this show, btw.

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

The test for playing it live for me is can the band play the beginning tightly and the crazy 'tumbling down the hill' section at 3:36 with precision. I've seen so many bands on You Tube mess those parts up live and sort of hope no one notices. I think sometimes Rush did too. lol.  Also, tell me if I'm wrong, but the drum part seems pretty hard too, at least for the average bar band player.

I think YYNOT does it pretty well. This is from their March Florida gig. Their new drummer played this show, btw.

I’ve played drums all my life and I still barely understand what’s going on in this song.

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

How good is Billy Alexander btw...

#8 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:34 AM

I’ve played drums all my life and I still barely understand what’s going on in this song.

Haha!  Same here.  I don't even bother trying it....

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,710 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:03 AM

The song starts at 0:59. I thought the singer sounded like Fred Schneider at first but then I saw someone in the comments section say he sounded like Dennis DeYoung. Maybe it's a combination of the two. In any event, it's kind of silly sounding, if I may be so bold.  :D

The big intro and multi-cam production are kind of funny considering this:

NOTE: THIS SESSION WAS THE FIRST TIME FORCE TEN EVER MET. THE BAND NEVER EVEN HAD A REHEARSAL BEFORE THIS SESSION.

Not bad for a first session but the over-flanging wrecks the guitar tone.

#10 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:31 AM

Haha!  Same here.  I don't even bother trying it....

It's a bitch.  Back when I was an active drummer, bands I was in would try it.  The start of the song is fucking impossible to get everyone on the same page.  I never understood counting it out and I can't imagine that Rush did either.  I would say we played it very occasionally, but it was never good.  lol

#11 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,946 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

The problem is that it usually falls apart in the beginning and any song that falls apart in the beginning can't be saved.  The drums are everything, but remember the guitarist sets the pace.  And that's another thing, it's hard playing that lick without a beat behind you.

#12 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

The song starts at 0:59. I thought the singer sounded like Fred Schneider at first but then I saw someone in the comments section say he sounded like Dennis DeYoung. Maybe it's a combination of the two. In any event, it's kind of silly sounding, if I may be so bold. :D

The big intro and multi-cam production are kind of funny considering this:

NOTE: THIS SESSION WAS THE FIRST TIME FORCE TEN EVER MET. THE BAND NEVER EVEN HAD A REHEARSAL BEFORE THIS SESSION.

Not bad for a first session but the over-flanging wrecks the guitar tone.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHPcigbpd0M"]https://www.youtube....Pcigbpd0M[/url][/url]

Right off the bat the guitarist has the lick wrong. And man is he singing flat...

#13 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

The problem is that it usually falls apart in the beginning and any song that falls apart in the beginning can't be saved. The drums are everything, but remember the guitarist sets the pace. And that's another thing, it's hard playing that lick without a beat behind you.

Totally. I think drummers tend to rush this song, and that’s where things can fall apart. From the intro, the stop time, everyone has to hit that 4 beat phrase and land on that 1, or all is lost. And if the drums are too fast, any semblance of groove is lost.

And the tempo shifts big time when they hit that halftime before the first verse. It’s a lot to understand for your average bar band.

#14 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

I'm not sure what the big deal is, when I air drum TSOR I nail it every time.

#15 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

It's as if they wrote some of these parts to insure that the song could never be adequately covered by mere mortals.  Another song with a guaranteed train wreck section is "Jacob's Ladder" - the single F# note part right before "follow men's eyes..."

#16 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

I think drummers tend to rush this song,

100% agree

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,710 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:02 PM

Right off the bat the guitarist has the lick wrong. And man is he singing flat...

They might want to downgrade their name to Force 3.

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,710 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:50 AM

#19 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

^^^ I love these guys. Really enjoy their reactions. My fav on this one was at the 8:00 mark...they lose it to the reggae riff

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#20 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,710 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:21 AM

Gotta love the name of this band. lol. This is very good for their ages.

Schools of Rock concert  featuring In-School Suspension.  Students are from grade 6 to Grade 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users