#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

I love it.

Let’s admit it: the last release with Weiland was a painful, mediocre at best, listen.

This is sounds like a rejuvenated band. Great hooks, some seriously swinging riffage and great playing all around. And the new singer does a FANTASTIC job of dancing that fine line between a solid tribute and obnoxious ripoff.

STP was always the band that should’ve up and died years ago, but they will not stop. Bravo.
  • Greg likes this

#2 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

Sounds great!  Thanks for the heads up...

• chemistry1973 likes this

#3 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

Fuck YES. This is some of the best STP I've ever heard. That is saying a lot.

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#4 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

This sounds really good!! I will spend money on this.

I had enough STP after Shangri-La-Dee-Da, which was one album to late. 

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

STP was sort of an odd coupling between the classic rock influenced brothers and the punk rock influenced singer.  Scott Weilland had a great baritone in a time of great baritones (Eddie Vedder, et al) but I'm guessing as a band, besides struggling with his drug habit they were struggling with creative differences as well.  I guess we'll never know for sure.  This sounds like the peppier mid-career STP stuff.  It's a bit of a "tribute" I guess but some bands change dramatically over the years, some just do the same kind of thing.  I think the world needs something like this right now.  Cool

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

I like. I go song by song, not so much the genre. Was never an overt fan of grunge but liked the occasional killer song it produced. Like FJ said this is peppy. Pretty commercial. I don't mind commercial if the song is good.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#7 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

Never thought of STP as a grunge band. Just a band with their own sound. Terribly underrated and underappreciated IMO.

Dean DeLeo is one of those special guitarists that have a signature sound all his own. He sounds like no one else; no one sounds like him.

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

Never thought of STP as a grunge band. Just a band with their own sound. Terribly underrated and underappreciated IMO.

Dean DeLeo is one of those special guitarists that have a signature sound all his own. He sounds like no one else; no one sounds like him.

Dean and Rob definitely come through on all STP records.  They were definitely a Jersey band and I saw them in their heyday and before.  The only "grunge element" was the baritone voice of Scott Weilland even though he was far from grunge personally.  Add a minor key to some of the songs and they fit into the early 90s era.  Like most bands at the time, they were recorded with a very American sound and certainly wrote some songs in a certain style but you could always tell it was them.  This song is their classic sound, IMO.  A bit of a throwback.  It's as if the Foo Fighters shed a few guitarists and/or overdubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users