#1 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

I've drifted back into electronica lately, and this is one of the weirder things to come off the assembly line in a while. The lyrics on this one will make more sense if you've seen Legion (X-Men spin-off series on FX), which sparked the idea when we were binge watching it a few weeks ago. I'll leave the file up for a little bit for those who might like to have a listen...

https://www.dropbox....16-bit.wav?dl=0

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

Wow that's a cool one, Dave! Sounds as if Rush had gotten super proggy on Power Windows. I got into electronica for several years in the 2000s and really loved William Orbit's Hello Waveforms from that era. He had these brilliant female singers sing on some of the songs from that album. It had me imagining what a beautiful female voice or voices would sound like on your great piece here.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:58 AM

I could see how that one might put you in mind of PoW a little bit - I kind of went nuts on the bass part with those galloping 16ths that Geddy was using a lot around that time. There are a few Oriental-sounding synth textures that might remind some of PoW too.

I don't have any really strong influences when it comes to electronic music the way I do with rock - I never followed anyone in that sphere as closely as I followed Rush. But I did like William Orbit too. Some of his work on Madonna's Ray of Light album is really fantastic (not a huge M fan overall but I love that album). I had a copy of Hello Waveforms as well but haven't been able to find it since we moved. One thing I like to do sometimes is take synth sounds that were programmed with the intent of being used in current trendy club genres and use them in a completely different context.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users