scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

Damn. Fantastic break down.

Thanks.  I listened to Victor a lot when it came out, and I'd say sometime over that first six months from its release I noticed the connection in some of the songs.  At first I thought Alex was trying hard not to sound like Rush and writing "edgy" stuff to show his appreciation for 90's acts like Nine Inch Nails and Stabbing Westward, but then I came to realize he was saying some pretty specific things in the songs.  Victor has stayed in rotation ever since, playing it at least a few times a year, and the connections between the songs kept coming.  It wasn't until years later that I was like "Ohh...  Mr. X!".  I feel like the "drug reference" and its helping his relationship with his wife part of an interview I read with Alex was more specific, I remember it referencing ecstasy specifically, and that was the final piece of the puzzle, Strip And Go Naked finally had its meaning.  I view the whole album as one story, and man did Alex have some serious demons to exorcise, which he did beautifully through his art.

#42 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

The interview which mentioned Ecstasy was in Classic Rock magazine here in the UK. It just so happens that I have a scan of it :D

568_B671_B_A25_F_49_D4_9_A08_6_FD773_C78

#43 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

He says Panacea is one of Rush's worst songs. Is he out of his fucking mind?!!

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#44 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:46 AM

He says Panacea is one of Rush's worst songs. Is he out of his fucking mind?!!

When you do a lot of drugs you come to silly conclusions like that

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#45 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

When you do a lot of drugs you come to silly conclusions like that

The melody and chord progressions are just so beautifully composed. A big reason for me why Old Rush is so great is because they were philosophically and idealistically innocent. The best rock 'n' roll always seems to come from rockers in their 20s. That's the age when we think we can change the world and that attitude produces some great if naive music. Of course in these days of corporate controlled music that has all but vanished. It's not even all that present in indie music.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#46 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

I decided to take quick poke around and see if Alex ever talked much about Victor and the underlying theme(s) of the album. I figured that he had to have talked about it when it was released.

I found this - http://www.cygnus-x1...ome-03.1996.php

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#47 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

Awesome, that's definitely where I read it!

The interview which mentioned Ecstasy was in Classic Rock magazine here in the UK. It just so happens that I have a scan of it :D

568_B671_B_A25_F_49_D4_9_A08_6_FD773_C78

#48 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

I decided to take quick poke around and see if Alex ever talked much about Victor and the underlying theme(s) of the album. I figured that he had to have talked about it when it was released.

I found this - http://www.cygnus-x1...ome-03.1996.php

From the article: 

METRONOME: Have you ever written lyrics before?

The last thing I wrote was "Making Memories" which showed up on Rush's second album. I hadn't even tried it in 18 years!

Say what?!  Neil wrote that!  The last thing Alex wrote was "Lessons" on 2112!  A tad too much cannabis there, Alex?

#49 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:11 AM

Alex also said he wrote "Let it Be" and "Physical." He's not the most trustworthy of sources.

#50 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,389 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

Runaway Train, Grace to Grace are really good.

I don’t think it is a good album, but I like those two songs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users