#21 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

To really be honest here, I'm not sure I've listened to Victor and MFH all the way through a combined four times. Victor is a mess, imo, and MFH is too Born to Be Mild. I like a lot of what one could term mild music (Seals and Crofts spring to mind) but even mild music needs serious song craft to hold it up. For some reason Ged's song craft is best when it's in a more rocking setting.

Victor is a mess but that's one of the things that makes it so interesting. Far more interesting than MFH for me.

This thread has made me spin MFH again after not hearing it for a very long time. Yeah, it's mild and safe. As I said, some good songs but seems to be missing something. It needs a little more punch and definitely needs more Geddy showing off his bass chops. I'm not saying that the whole album should have been like that just more than it was.

My Favourite Headache  - Musically, it's one of the coolest on the album and something I would expect from a Geddy Lee solo song. Too bad it's essentially a tease as few of the other songs have this quality about them.

The Present Tense - Not bad. It's got a decent vibe. It sounds to me like a song that could have been on a Rush album from the 90s, or maybe even Presto. Not sure if that's a good thing of not.  

Window To The World - I like this song though not sure why. It's just pleasing to me. It's still not what I would have expected from Geddy though

Working At Perfekt - Never liked this song. The whole thing just sounds awkward to me. 

Runaway Train - Another song that I like but don't love. 

The Angels' Share - I sure don't have anything against slow songs. Rush certainly has their share. This one is pleasing to the ear but otherwise kinda meh

Moving To Bohemia - I think this song is a bit of missed potential. Make it harder rockin' and I think it improves immeasurably

Home On The Strange - Now this is more like it. Ranks up there with the first track

Slipping - I like this song. See comments above for Window to the World

Still - Meh. Doesn't do anything for me. Would work perfectly as a song on an adult contemporary radio station and that should tell you everything.  

Grace To Grace - It rocks. It's mellow. Not unlike many a Rush song. Not bad. 

• Three Eyes likes this

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

The sewer pipe queen

Dangles my dream
Makes all that I've seen
Seem so obscene - Kings X, Skeptical Winds

#22 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

I found it very nondescript, innocuous, bland.

Yes, and ultimately forgettable.  Got tossed onto the "never listen to again" pile with Counterparts, Roll the Bones, Presto and S&A.

#23 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:24 AM

My opinion of MFH hasn't changed in a long time. I still think it's fantastic, really cohesive, well-written, and in many ways superior to most actual Rush albums. If anything it's gotten better with age (its and mine). I've heard for years how boring it is, how the lyrics aren't as good as Neil's (I question that pretty hard - Neil is very good at being CLEVER but frankly he's not terribly INTERESTING - where Geddy actually talks about actual, you know those things people that aren't Neil have - oh yeah, feelings*), how the music is bland etc etc etc.

It's a great record.

* 24-7 curmudgeonliness does not count

• Greg and timbale like this

#24 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:09 PM

My opinion of MFH hasn't changed in a long time. I still think it's fantastic, really cohesive, well-written, and in many ways superior to most actual Rush albums. If anything it's gotten better with age (its and mine). I've heard for years how boring it is, how the lyrics aren't as good as Neil's (I question that pretty hard - Neil is very good at being CLEVER but frankly he's not terribly INTERESTING - where Geddy actually talks about actual, you know those things people that aren't Neil have - oh yeah, feelings*), how the music is bland etc etc etc.

It's a great record.

* 24-7 curmudgeonliness does not count

Clever vs interesting would be an interesting discussion regarding Neil's lyrics - I like that distinction.  

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#25 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:14 AM

I think it's a great, fun album.  Home on the Strange is a standout track for me.  Gonna have to dust it off and crank it up...

#26 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:12 AM

I liked MFH quite a lot. It was kind of Rush-lite. I also like Victor a lot as well. The release of those solo albums gave us glimpse into what each artist brings to Rush songwriting.

• fenderjazz and SpaceGhost2112 like this

#27 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

...Like watching Scooby Doo without Shaggy and Scooby

...Like eating S'mores without the chocolate and marshmallow

...Like going through a car wash without soap and water

...Like driving an average car without a fantastic sounding stereo

...Like listening to a stereo in mono

...Like going fishing next to a freeway

#28 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

Channeling your inner Peart, huh?

#29 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

Victor is a mess but that's one of the things that makes it so interesting. Far more interesting than MFH for me.

I wouldn't say it's a mess - quite a diverse set of styles and moods on there, but they mesh together really well.

It's so dramatically more inventive, interesting, clever, coherent and well-produced than the typical plodding '90s Rush album (and especially than the dire MFH) that I can't help thinking of Victor as the expression of something that was suppressed in Rush, and that's a pity. A superb record.

• scott14, jeffro and Rick N Backer like this

#30 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

It’s like raiaiaiiiinnnn—-on your wedding day

#31 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:13 PM

I wouldn't say it's a mess - quite a diverse set of styles and moods on there, but they mesh together really well.

It's so dramatically more inventive, interesting, clever, coherent and well-produced than the typical plodding '90s Rush album (and especially than the dire MFH) that I can't help thinking of Victor as the expression of something that was suppressed in Rush, and that's a pity. A superb record.

Taking your suppression comment a step further, he was definitely venting something on Victor, but I'm not sure Rush would ever have been the right vehicle.  A good portion of the album is him venting his wife's affair.

#32 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

Taking your suppression comment a step further, he was definitely venting something on Victor, but I'm not sure Rush would ever have been the right vehicle.  A good portion of the album is him venting his wife's affair.

Wait what?!

#33 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

Yea, wut??

#34 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

I kinda doubt that, especially in lieu of Shut Up Shuttin Up...

#35 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:06 AM

Umm...  Have any of you actually listened to the album?

Look at the lyrics for...  well pretty much every song:  https://lyrics.az/alex-lifeson/victor/

Wait what?!

Yea, wut??

I kinda doubt that, especially in lieu of Shut Up Shuttin Up...

• chemistry1973 likes this

#36 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,453 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:43 AM

Umm...  Have any of you actually listened to the album?

Look at the lyrics for...  well pretty much every song:  https://lyrics.az/alex-lifeson/victor/

Can't stand the album but after taking a gander at the lyrics, you may be right. If not, there is quite a coincidental link between most of the songs.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#37 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:49 AM

Judging by the lyrics it could go both ways- Alex may have cheated too.

And still a leap - these are songs and not an admission of an affair.

#38 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

Not a stretch, really. Had their first kid when he (they?) were 17. Married at 22. He spent most of the 70's/early 80's on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if they both strayed. If so, kudos to them for keeping it under wraps and working through it.

Found an article from a couple years back that is vague, but perhaps telling??

https://globalnews.c...se-health-woes/

Lifeson said drugs once helped him reconnect with his wife Charlene.

“We cranked the music and we were dancing, and then we talked for hours about deep personal stuff for what seemed like the first time, even though we’d been married for years,” he recalled.

“We were going through a bit of a difficult time in our relationship, and that opened up a lot of doors.”

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#39 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:35 PM

That's the unsung brilliance of Victor, it's 100% a concept album about his marriage.  Every last track is about some facet of his relationship with his wife, and it's no coincidence that the whole project is named for a poem about a cuckold who's jealousy has driven him insane, to the point of murder.  There are allusions to infidelity on both sides, but he's railing against hers on multiple tracks (who do you think Mr. X is?) in the face of things he's done himself, plus examining the basic differences between the sexes, and lamenting a future without her.  Even the comedic track, Shut up Shuttin' Up fits perfectly as the tongue-in-cheek part of the exploration.  I read that above interview, or one like it, a while ago about how a drug experience (specifically ecstasy) helped him and his wife reconnect, and I always saw Strip And Go Naked as reference to that.

I've always considered Victor to be a work of genius, and if you listen to it with fresh ears and this "concept" in mind, I believe you'll be shocked by how brilliant and dark it truly is.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#40 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:08 PM

Damn. Fantastic break down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users