• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 flybynightal

flybynightal

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:25 AM

first, it has been awhile since I last was here and it also has been awhile, until recently, that I listened to this album. hello everybody.  

#2 flybynightal

flybynightal

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:26 AM

man, what an impressive album

#3 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:35 AM

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#4 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:58 AM

Runaway Train, Grace to Grace are really good.

#5 flybynightal

flybynightal

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:03 AM

Runaway Train, Grace to Grace are really good.

absolute. 

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,898 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

Hey Al!!!

MFH is not one of my faves.  I will give it a spin though since you mentioned it.  Maybe it's aged and improved with time for me

#7 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

It's got some good songs but seems a little too ....safe to me. Alex took some chances with Victor. Certainly not a bad album but I would have liked to see Geddy rock out a little more on MFH. 

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

The sewer pipe queen

Dangles my dream
Makes all that I've seen
Seem so obscene - Kings X, Skeptical Winds

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,898 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

It's got some good songs but seems a little too ....safe to me. Alex took some chances with Victor. Certainly not a bad album but I would have liked to see Geddy rock out a little more on MFH. 

Yes, that is kind of how I remember it.  It was just too poppy for me.  I would have enjoyed it more if he stretched out like Alex did on Victor.

#9 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

I still like a lot of MFH reasonably well. The frantic unison riff that opens "Home on the Strange" is cooler to me than a lot of what Rush were coming up with together on their last several records - a little flash of brilliance, there. "The Angels Share" is a nice track - the chorus feels like something that could've been great but somehow missed being the best version of itself by just a little bit. Something about "Still" always seemed to tug at the heart strings a little if I was already in a less than happy state of mind.

It's funny that the songs most often cited as favorites like "Runaway Train" and "Grace to Grace" didn't seem to grab me as much. But I sometimes seem to latch onto things on certain records that are not big fan favorites, like "The Stars Look Down" from VT or "Bravest Face" from S&A or "red lenses" from P/G.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

If he had called it My Favorite Heartache he could have marketed it as a country album. :)

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

I found it very nondescript, innocuous, bland.

#12 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:39 PM

First few seconds are alright. After that, meh...

I'll willingly listen to Victor, but MFH I've heard enough already.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 flybynightal

flybynightal

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:24 AM

Hey Al!!!

MFH is not one of my faves.  I will give it a spin though since you mentioned it.  Maybe it's aged and improved with time for me

hey jazz,long time.  yeah i hadn't heard it in a while and it sounded fresh. all of em have talent as we all know and Ged wrote some good lyrics and sounds in an impressive array. 

#14 flybynightal

flybynightal

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:28 AM

hello to slim, three eyes,chem,  jazz, nick, flux, daveg,  jeffco and toto too. it has been awhile, but time stands still. some of you, might be the first time have met.

#15 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:35 AM

Hi there, Al.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#16 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:26 AM

I think I'm one of the few fans here who enjoys MFH much more than Victor.  MFH is a more pop sounding album... I think essentially the two of them played to their individual strengths and interests on their solo outings - Alex being the harder and, well, weirder of the two.

These things are so subjective, but to me, MFH has aged pretty well, where as Victor sounds so dated to me.  It could be Edwin's 90's rock voice all over it, I don't know, but it kinda grates on me.  Geddy's record has a few stand out tracks on it, nice moments and some great singing.  It is a "safe" sounding record, but it's not like he's made 7 or 8 like it... it's his only one...and he went for melody over virtuosity.  I'm cool with that... I can spin up La Villa if I want to hear odd time shredding...

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#17 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:49 AM

Slipping is my favorite track. The lyrics have a simple, straightforward quality. On the rest of the album the lyrics are too experimental for my taste, if that’s the right word. (Probably not.). I think that whole album is listenable, but only Slipping grabs me.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#18 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

Victor is a much more richly satisfying and pleasingly elegant and sophisticated musical feast, I must say.

#19 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

To really be honest here, I'm not sure I've listened to Victor and MFH all the way through a combined four times. Victor is a mess, imo, and MFH is too Born to Be Mild. I like a lot of what one could term mild music (Seals and Crofts spring to mind) but even mild music needs serious song craft to hold it up. For some reason Ged's song craft is best when it's in a more rocking setting.

#20 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

To really be honest here, I'm not sure I've listened to Victor and MFH all the way through a combined four times. Victor is a mess, imo, and MFH is too Born to Be Mild. I like a lot of what one could term mild music (Seals and Crofts spring to mind) but even mild music needs serious song craft to hold it up. For some reason Ged's song craft is best when it's in a more rocking setting.

I always think about what Lifeson could’ve done with MFH.

Listening to it now it does sound like another guitar part is missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users