29 replies to this topic

#21 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

I don't understand how those boosters are actually controlled to a landing - they don't appear to have any control surfaces. How do you get a supersonic dart to land on its fins?

#22 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

Edit:
Much easier to read at the link below - the process appears to be very complex with many components required to operate in sync.

#23 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

https://en.m.wikiped...lopment_program
  • Slim likes this

#24 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

Apparently they were indeed sonic booms.

http://www.spaceflig...ee-sonic-booms/

#25 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

I was really taken by this photo...the size of the boosters is much larger when put in perspective.  Yuuuge!

Attached Files

• Three Eyes, chemistry1973 and RushDoggie like this

#26 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

Awesome

falcon-heavy-2-6-2018-Kenniston.jpg

• Slim, Three Eyes, chemistry1973 and 1 other like this

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#27 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:41 AM

I wonder if, in a century's time, people will look back at these images and wonder at the things mankind was able to do when it still had stuff to make rocket fuel out of.

#28 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:22 PM

I wonder if, in a century's time, people will look back at these images and wonder at the things mankind was able to do when it still had stuff to make rocket fuel out of.

Well, sure, in the case of Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy.  They use LOX (liquid oxygen) and kerosene for propellants.  With kerosene being a petroleum product, I see where you're going with this.  Biggest adavntages to kerolox is ease of use, long-term storage, and not too bad on the pollutants.

On the other hand, launch vehicles such as the Delta IV/Delta IV Heavy (and the space shuttle main engines) use LOX and LH2 (liquid hydrogen), which is more efficient than kerolox, but takes up much more volume due to the lesser density of the LH2.  This means needing a bigger fuel tank, not to mention extra insulation to keep the hydrogen chilled (kerosene has the advantage of being a room temperature fuel), as well as new engines - can't just switch fuels and expect the engines to work the same, if at all.  Biggest advantages are the increased efficiency and the only exhaust by-product is water.

Then there are the hypergolic fuels, which are NASTY to deal with.  These are fuels and oxidzers that burn on contact, and can be stored at normal temps.  Problem is, they're usually extremely toxic, as well as corrosive, requiring special handling and extensive maintenance after storage.  The Titan rocket used for the Titan ICBM and the Gemini spacecraft launches used these types of fuels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

I watched it live. I actually felt like I finally got a little bit of the future I always imagined when I was a kid. A private company putting a car into orbit and beaming down live footage. And those beautifully synchronised booster landings, like something out of a Gerry Anderson show.

Live coverage of the Tesla in orbit

So how long before they send up a McDonalds drive-thru to go with the car?

• SJS likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

Someone on FB posted this. Classic.

s-l400.jpg

• chemistry1973 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users