#1 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

This may have been the coolest thing I've ever seen.  

• Slim, Three Eyes, chemistry1973 and 1 other like this

#2 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

Very annoyed by the timing. Here in Central Florida, the launches are easily visible on a nice day, but I was teaching at the time. My wife and kids watched it from the house, 30 miles away, and said it was pretty spectacular.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#3 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

Very annoyed by the timing. Here in Central Florida, the launches are easily visible on a nice day, but I was teaching at the time. My wife and kids watched it from the house, 30 miles away, and said it was pretty spectacular.

I'm very jealous. I've visited Florida three times and on one of those occasions there was a shuttle launch on the day we landed in Orlando but it was launched about an hour after we landed and we didn't have time to drive down to the Cape to see it. 

#4 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

Agreed. Coolest thing ever.

#5 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:22 AM

The entire launch was incredibly entertaining. Life on Mars? The shot of the spaceman in the Tesla convertible with “don’t panic” on the display?!

Genius.

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:47 AM

I watched it live. I actually felt like I finally got a little bit of the future I always imagined when I was a kid. A private company putting a car into orbit and beaming down live footage. And those beautifully synchronised booster landings, like something out of a Gerry Anderson show.

Live coverage of the Tesla in orbit

• Greg and chemistry1973 like this

#7 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:18 AM

I'm very jealous. I've visited Florida three times and on one of those occasions there was a shuttle launch on the day we landed in Orlando but it was launched about an hour after we landed and we didn't have time to drive down to the Cape to see it. 

For a long time space fan like me it is a definite pleasure living here. We probably saw a dozen or so Shuttle launches from the house, and 4 or 5 from Cocoa Beach, a few miles south of the Cape. We’ve seen a handful of unmanned launches too, but those tend to be less powerful. The couple of night launches we watched were really awesome - temporary dawn, and from miles away.

I love it that there’s so many NASA fans in England, Canada, and other distant places. It’s cool to know that a few things bring shared aspirations and excitement regardless of borders and distance.
  • baldiepete, Three Eyes and The Macallan like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:50 AM

The boosters coming back are always the money shot. Amazing

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:05 AM

I love it that there’s so many NASA fans in England, Canada, and other distant places. It’s cool to know that a few things bring shared aspirations and excitement regardless of borders and distance.

And Brit-trollery.  B)

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:28 AM

• MrSkeptic likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

And Brit-trollery.  B)

When I’ve been to Kennedy Space Centre I’ve always made derogatory comments about Countdown. :D
  • Three Eyes likes this

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

^^^ Well you won't get an argument from me on that one.  ;)

#13 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

For a long time space fan like me it is a definite pleasure living here. We probably saw a dozen or so Shuttle launches from the house, and 4 or 5 from Cocoa Beach, a few miles south of the Cape. We’ve seen a handful of unmanned launches too, but those tend to be less powerful. The couple of night launches we watched were really awesome - temporary dawn, and from miles away.

And increasingly, SpaceX fans. Quite remarkable that a private company has outdone NASA, not only in technology terms but also in capturing the imagination of the general public.

#14 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Can't get this tune out of my head

Really cool times we live in

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#15 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

I’m in Orlando this week and happened to see it just by dumb luck. It was awesome.
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#16 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

And increasingly, SpaceX fans. Quite remarkable that a private company has outdone NASA, not only in technology terms but also in capturing the imagination of the general public.

Quite true.  I'm a fan of "golden age science fiction", and one of the old tropes was the idea of a lone genius inventing a time machine, or space ship, or whatever, and going on adventures.  What seemed like a quaint failure of imagination by the early genre writers has essentially now come true.  Of course, Space X is not a one-man operation - Elon Musk didn't build the Falcon rocket in his back yard or anything like that - but I never would have guessed that the "billionaire's dream" motif would become reality.  It's something to witness.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#17 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,453 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

I was on the coast a few weeks ago, found out there was a launch so 3 of us sat in the vehicle for a couple of hours after some birding to watch it. Trouble is, it was scrubbed and went the next day. Oh well, I'll have to live with seeing a couple of the Apollo launches when my dad was stationed at Patrick AFB when I was a kid.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#18 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

When I’ve been to Kennedy Space Centre I’ve always made derogatory comments about Countdown. :D

Well, it hasn't been the same since Richard Whiteley died...

• Slim and baldiepete like this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:30 PM

Amateur footage of the two boosters returning

• baldiepete and The Macallan like this

#20 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

I don't think those are sonic booms but the sound of the descent rockets firing - there's about 9 seconds between the flashes and the booms, so doing the maths on the relative speeds of sound and light (actually for this purpose I assumed light to be instantaneous, it's close enough) - the first booster to fire is about 1.87 miles from the camera when it does so. Assuming of course that the audio is synced properly to the video, which it probably is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users