30 replies to this topic

#1 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

Thought this might be an interesting discussion - individual parts or sections of songs that really do it for you, housed in songs you don't think are that great. Or flat out hate.

The first one that comes to mind for me is the chorus of Chain Lightning (Sun dogs fire...). I find it very moving...it is a section where the melody, lyrics and vocal performance come together really strongly, it has a great Peart galloping ride cymbal thing, and has a quality that some of their greatest music has, which they seem to often forget - space! It comes into my head fairly often...all on its own.

The rest of the song, for me, is f**king dreadful. I get the sense it's supposed to be "rockin", but it just sounds anemic, with something almost passing for a melody sung on top. And that ending...it makes me feel shame even knowing I was alive at the time these guys figured, "yeah, a deep voice saying That's Nice would be really cool to end it." Christ...

Anyway, anyone else? Parts you love in songs you don't?

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#2 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

I feel the same about Chemistry. I love the “pre-chorus” section where Neil alternates the snare and tom pattern. Again, there’s space there. The rest of the song just falls flat for me, musically and lyrically.

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

I like parts of Xanadu but the whole thing feels massively overblown. But the bit where the guitar riff builds up then it kicks off after the overlong intro is nice.

#4 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

Roll the Bones. I hate that rap. I’ve always hated it. It’s not ironic enough. John Cleese would’ve saved it.

Virtuality. A rocker. And then we hit the chorus - Net Boy, Net Girl, Send your signal round the world. Like a jingle for a 90s era Canadian telecommunications company.

Nobody’s Hero. If they swapped the verses it’d be more palatable. As it is, the first line is jarring and weird.

Countdown - too much Columbia chatter. Let me listen to the music.

Animate - the entire bridge. It’s derails the established groove. And the lyrics in that section are positively shitty.

#5 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:22 PM

Roll the Bones. I hate that rap. I’ve always hated it. It’s not ironic enough. John Cleese would’ve saved it.

Virtuality. A rocker. And then we hit the chorus - Net Boy, Net Girl, Send your signal round the world. Like a jingle for a 90s era Canadian telecommunications company.

Nobody’s Hero. If they swapped the verses it’d be more palatable. As it is, the first line is jarring and weird.

Countdown - too much Columbia chatter. Let me listen to the music.

Animate - the entire bridge. It’s derails the established groove. And the lyrics in that section are positively shitty.

Nobody's Hero is one where I like the chorus quite a bit...particularly the last one that moves into the outro...that string arrangement under Geddy's held note is really nice! But the verses are ruined by the lyrics. I'm sure I've said this in another thread at some point...but Peart's lyrics in the verses sound like some removed robot trying to write about something emotional - it just feels weird. I'm all behind the sentiment of both verses, but the writing is just...ugh - the "rhymes" in the first verse in particular. It's a shame, because if the verses were more personal/emotional somehow, I think it would even strengthen the more observational tone of the choruses...

I have often wondered if the lyrics in the chorus of Virtuality were better - and didn't have the crime against humanity "girl" and "world" rhyme - if the song as a whole would be better thought of.

#6 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:36 AM

I find that Rush's last three albums are full of epic moments crushed between bloated ideas that were not completely fleshed out.  If a producer would've been able to streamline the writing process in a more focused direction the results could've been epic.

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#7 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:42 AM

Agreed.

#8 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:12 AM

I think Alex’s solo in Bravest Face is a real gem, but trapped in an unusually poor lyrical and melodic mess.

Yes, the main riff of Virtuality is nice and little else of that song works.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#9 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:14 AM

I think Al's solo in "The Garden" is fucking beautiful!  I don't totally hate the rest of the song, but it just doesn't do it for me the way some have said it does for them.

#10 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:55 AM

The dueling solos part of YYZ that starts about 96 seconds in and the guitar solo transition into the synth line is heavenly.

The rest of the song is way too repetitive for it's own good.  We could have done without maybe 4-8 measures of that main riff.  It's nice, but...  come on guys.

Now you've got me thinking about it, I have a lot more of these for non-Rush songs.  (That ending solo in Echoes by Pink Floyd, or the intros to Many too Many and Fifth of Firth by Genesis, for instance)  For Rush tunes, it feels like I either like the whole song or none of it.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#11 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

Virtuality bothers me for the exact same reason. 

I like the music in Everyday Glory but the lyrics in the beginning are so damn depressing that I can't listen to it anymore.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#12 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:43 PM

I find that Rush's last three albums are full of epic moments crushed between bloated ideas that were not completely fleshed out.  If a producer would've been able to streamline the writing process in a more focused direction the results could've been epic.

The more I think about this, the more I think you're on to something. 

Rush02.JPG

#13 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:14 AM

Bravest Face - "Though we might have precious little, it's still precious" & Bits and pieces of the "In the... , there's a..." part. Can't stand the verses and the end of the chorus makes me cringe all these years later.

Good News First - "You used to feel that way...and the most beautiful words I could ever say" & "Some would say they never fear a thing, Well I do ..So do me a favor and tell me the good news first" Yodelly Geddy in the verses is just shit. Musically I like the song.

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:33 AM

The more I think about this, the more I think you're on something. 

That's not very nice.

Actually he's right. Later Rush, too much of the time, seems to have quality material and filler in the same damn song.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#15 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, it's pretty weird. Not sure why the approach to songwriting changed but it seems like it did. Maybe it had something to do with the hiatus after Neil's personal tragedies. I've often wondered what Rush might have been had that forced break never happened. 

Rush02.JPG

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

It seems almost as if the band lost some of its importance to all three of them after the break. 

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#17 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationSenior Administrator of Hormone Division, Department of Puberty

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

Great thread and a rare agreement on almost all the comments. Guess maybe I’d add The Body Electric.
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:23 PM

Gee, I wonder if there ever was a producer in the whole wide world who could have helped them do that? I guess we'll never know....

#19 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:36 PM

Gee, I wonder if there ever was a producer in the whole wide world who could have helped them do that? I guess we'll never know....

Wouldn't it have been great to get one last Rush album with Broon as producer?

Rush02.JPG

#20 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

I can't stand Seven Cities of Gold, but for some reason I really like the pre-chorus (e.g., Searching through a grim eternity / Sculptures by a prehistoric sea).

Love the verses in Totem. Don't care for the chorus.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users