#41 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:18 AM

The word "boo" if talking about a significant other or anyone else not Boo Boo from Yogi Bear. Leave it Apple trying sell an iPhone to be using it currently.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#42 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:44 AM

getting "woke"

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#43 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:46 AM

Abbreviations for medical conditions. RA. COPD. ED. Low T. Just use the name, I actually can handle four syllable words.

I don't mind the abbreviations written in a medical record or SOAP note, but not when speaking. Same goes for LOL and ASAP. Fucking say I laughed out loud or as soon as possible.

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#44 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:11 AM

I don't mind the abbreviations written in a medical record or SOAP note, but not when speaking. Same goes for LOL and ASAP. Fucking say I laughed out loud or as soon as possible.

Now you're taking it too far.

I'm with you on speaking lol but it's great shorthand for posting and texting. ASAP works great for both speaking and typing.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#45 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

"Let's agree to disagree"

"Social media"

"It is what it is" "whatever" ...OK, in one instance I'll accept it. ;)

Here are some corporate ones that someone has coined as "babblespeak"
https://www.psycholo...-drive-us-crazy

#46 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

+1

https://www.google.c...-1798238547/amp

I admire the guy's candidness. lol. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who can't stand this song.

"DW: I’d like to fight the whole band. That’s how much I hate the song. I’d like to fight them."

LOL.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#47 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

I think I'm with you on "LOL", though I've only ever heard it used once, when my younger stepdaughter used it during the course of a telephone conversation to a friend.

But "ASAP" - I use that one myself quite often. I think it's fine. There are plenty of other acronyms that we use vocally as well as when typing. The trouble with LOL is that it isn't really an acronym that makes sense if you say it, because you can't really laugh out loud and say "LOL" at the same time. Or at least there's no point.

#48 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

"Let's agree to disagree"

"Social media"

"It is what it is" "whatever" ...OK, in one instance I'll accept it. ;)

Here are some corporate ones that someone has coined as "babblespeak"
https://www.psycholo...-drive-us-crazy

The top three babblespeak terms that make me want to punch someone at work in the face

Best practice

Move the needle

Low hanging fruit ... the absolute worst !!

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#49 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

5 or 6? Damn, you are blessed. The local shitebag CR station here has played TSOR, TS, and Limelight, but no other Rush.

I don't listen to Classic Rock radio of my own volition but sometimes I am forced to hear it if someone has it on in their workplace, so in addition to those three songs I have heard on occasion Free Will, Closer to the Heart and Roll the Bones.

#50 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

At the risk of being non-PC, I'm not a big fan of "partner" to indicate a significant other.  I still translate this as "business partner" for a few beats, and then the next image I have is someone in a cowboy hat.  I don't understand the need for it.  "I know you well enough to discuss my significant other with you, but not well enough for you to know their gender or whether we are married."

LYqbjSn.jpg

#51 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,948 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

^^^

Partner is too generic agree.  I think "business partner" as well.  There has to be a better word for that somewhere.

#52 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Sorry for typing at the top, for some reason the post editor won't let you take the cursor below a quote after you've edited it. I'm ambivalent about 'partner', it seems a bit forced and PC to me but at the same time I think the need for it is that it gives a non-spouse a similar recognition when they sometimes deserve it. For example my sister-in-law and her other half have two kids, two dogs, a large house and a mortgage but they aren't married. Describing each other as "boyfriend and "girlfriend" might possibly be understating it a bit.

About twenty years ago a colleague and I interviewed an Australian bloke who occasionally mentioned his "partner" during our conversation. After we'd shown him out we looked at each other with quizzical eyebrows raised and said "he's gay, isn't he?" - but as it turned out after he joined the team, he wasn't. We did hire him, by the way.

At the risk of being non-PC, I'm not a big fan of "partner" to indicate a significant other.  I still translate this as "business partner" for a few beats, and then the next image I have is someone in a cowboy hat.  I don't understand the need for it.

#53 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

Sorry for typing at the top, for some reason the post editor won't let you take the cursor below a quote after you've edited it. I'm ambivalent about 'partner', it seems a bit forced and PC to me but at the same time I think the need for it is that it gives a non-spouse a similar recognition when they sometimes deserve it. For example my sister-in-law and her other half have two kids, two dogs, a large house and a mortgage but they aren't married. Describing each other as "boyfriend and "girlfriend" might possibly be understating it a bit.

There just isn't a good word for the adult version of "boyfriend/girlfriend."  Significant other sounds unweildy and pompous, partner is too ambiguous, lover is creepy.

#54 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:57 AM

howdy-partner.jpg

tumblr_oxb9r2Zmw11ultjoto1_r2_500.gif

#55 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:38 AM

There just isn't a good word for the adult version of "boyfriend/girlfriend."  Significant other sounds unweildy and pompous, partner is too ambiguous, lover is creepy.

So simple in Spanish.  "novio/novia"  Doesn't have the immature connotation that "boyfriend/girlfriend" has.

The ancient world doesn't have much of an equivalent I can offer; if you were an unmarried girl above the age of 15, you were probably so ugly you'd never need the word, or a prostitute, in which case your clients, in love poems to you, might just refer to you as puella, girl, or amata, beloved.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#56 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:35 AM

There were just certain rules in our generation that don't apply to millenials and Z gen kids.  We had an authenticity rule.  If you didn't write your own songs, play your own instruments, sing your own songs, you didn't qualify.  The Monkees were shunned because they didn't play their own instruments (on the show and on the early records, later they did).  Milli Vanili left the world stage over a lip syncing error!  Today authenticity doesn't matter.  It doesn't matter if it takes 20 people to write a Beyonce song and 35 to produce it and we never see a musician ever.  Nobody cares.  They just want the instant gratification.  The only edge in their music is rap.  Rap is the new distorted guitar/metal/grunge/etc.  The problem with rap is often it's lack of authenticity too.  Typically it's a conglomeration of samples to which words are rapped over.  Again the musicians are not seen.  It's not even called music, the whole track is called a "beat".  Music is dead, dead, dead. :(

Damn straight. Another problem, imo, has been helicopter parenting and over-protection of children. (Sorry, you don't deserve a trophy just for showing up.) It's infantilized a generation and created a lot of spoiled monsters who try to destroy you if you disagree with them in the slightest. That person you're trying to incinerate in the comments section might actually know something that could be valuable to you if you'd only take the time to listen. That's how we learn from each other and how we grow. Attitudes like these are not conducive to creative art making.

#57 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:20 AM

At the risk of being non-PC, I'm not a big fan of "partner" to indicate a significant other.  I still translate this as "business partner" for a few beats, and then the next image I have is someone in a cowboy hat.  I don't understand the need for it.  "I know you well enough to discuss my significant other with you, but not well enough for you to know their gender or whether we are married."

No risk there, SJS!

The reason "partner" sounds off, strange or weird is because one is describing a relationship that is off, strange, weird, etc.

#58 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,948 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

Damn straight. Another problem, imo, has been helicopter parenting and over-protection of children. (Sorry, you don't deserve a trophy just for showing up.) It's infantilized a generation and created a lot of spoiled monsters who try to destroy you if you disagree with them in the slightest. That person you're trying to incinerate in the comments section might actually know something that could be valuable to you if you'd only take the time to listen. That's how we learn from each other and how we grow. Attitudes like these are not conducive to creative art making.

That's a huge issue.  As a parent of now "adult" children I have to teach them to unlearn certain behaviors.  My kids never got participation trophies except when they played soccer very young.  They quickly switched to figure skating, and skated nationally.  Competitions are like 1,000 skaters, 3 or 4 medals.  It's rough and it taught them more than I or school could have ever taught them.

I think we are dealing with delayed onset adulthood with many people up to their mid 20s.  Every generation, adulthood gets progressively older.  At the turn of the 20th century that was mid-teens, it gravitated to 18 in the 60s and by the 90s it was 21.  Now it's more like 26. (thanks Obama! lol).  Seriously, Obamacare made it official.  It's not that it wasn't otherwise, it just fixed the financial part of it.  You can be on your parent's insurance to age 26 now.  It's officially moved the goalposts of adulthood to there.  And frankly still many are not ready.  Why you ask?  Adequate work experience/jobs.  With all entry level jobs except in small business outsourced, there aren't the jobs for people fresh out of college like there used to be.  They freelance, apprentice, intern, and if they do get employed in a full time job at 22 no one takes them too seriously.  It's definitely not the world we grew up in.  It's one I'm adjusting to because I have millenials working for me.  They can be challenging but I'm learning from them and they are learning from me.

#59 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

I am guilty of it now and again. My pet peeve is the use of it three times per sentence....typically by females ages 16-25. It's grating on the nerves

Middle aged people do it as well. Many of them in the US. I absolutely detest it. It is an insult to your listener to supply such vague catch-all terms and expect them to stay interested in the sounds coming out of your mouth.

And if there is a noun to go along with it, it would be.... "thing"

Used WAY too much. As in, "Did you know that, like, FOMO is now a thing?" or "Tonight, Mom is going to her thing."

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#60 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

So, like, did you guys see one of those Jenner/Kardashian twats like, had a kid? I guess that's a thing now. Celebutards spawning.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users