7 replies to this topic

#1 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

It's been a rubbish year for cycling so far due to wet weather. It was snowing here this morning and there's still a cover of snow on the ground.

However, in October last year I invested in a trainer (one of these):

kinetic_trainer.jpg

.. and a subscription to Zwift:

zwift_ex.jpg

The trainer has power and cadence sensors built in, so your effort into the bike pedals translates into movement on the virtual roads, via Bluetooth. I've found it really useful for getting a bit of exercise in my legs on days when I'd rather not go cycling on a real road. Like today. I doubt I'd have the patience or attention span to put the time in on the trainer without the illusion of going somewhere.

As well as a number of picturesque routes on a fictional South Pacific island called Watopia, there are routes through London and Richmond (not the North Yorkshire town, somewhere in the US I believe) and it even uploads your tracks to Strava:

https://www.strava.c...ties/1367843539

Any other virtual cyclists out there?

• Three Eyes likes this

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

^^^ Ready Biker One. Crazy times we're living in. Do they have a Santa Monica route? You could ride by Neil's house. Maybe a virtual Neil throws a rake at you.  B)

• Slim likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

Sadly no Santa Monica route as yet, but that would certainly be a nice touch.

What I didn't mention was that the other cyclists you see on the virtual roads are real people on their own trainers somewhere in the Real World - so you can go on arranged group rides, race people, or just find a group and tag along with them. You can give other people a thumbs up if you want to. Saw hundreds of people out on the roads of Watopia today. You can customise your outfit and bike so you stand out from the crowd a bit and you can unlock new bikes and outfits by putting in the miles.

After the free trial period it costs $10 a month I think? Can't remember exactly, something like that.

• Three Eyes likes this

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

That is nuts.

You can rent a bike at Santa Monica beach, btw. There is a paved bike path called The Strand that runs parallel with the Pacific coastline for 22 miles. It stretches across several beach communities.

theStrand-03.jpg

• Slim likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#5 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

Some of us only engage in proper out on the road cycling, with a result that I'm only at 208 miles for the year. Although the weather hasn't been conducive to getting out onto the pot-holed, grit covered, occasionally iced over roads. Yup I've come a cropper on ice this year, luckily not breaking any bones, but picking up some nice bruising. Today's snow and icy rain kept me in the hutch.

I'm mad, but not that mad.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

I came off on the ice a couple of times in December but haven't gone out in icy weather so far this year. I only count the actual road miles, and am at 158 so far in 2018. Just four rides this year.

#7 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:21 PM

We've had the first nice weather of the year now, and I've had a couple of pleasant rides out in sunny weather. I've done the first 100+ miler of the year.

But overall the weather has been poor this year and I've only been out on the bike 27 times.

Despite this though I've done 1050 miles this year now, which is 168 miles more than the 2017 total this time last year.

#8 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Did my first 100km ride of the year today, to complete my first Strava Gran Fondo of the year. Got 4,598ft of climbing in too. It was too warm for that and too early in the season.

The weather was lovely to start off, but it grew to look as if a thunderstorm may break out, thankfully it didn't as I had my bling white cycling shoes on.

I'm now up to 1,240 miles for the year about 100 down on last year in 4 fewer rides. The weather's been grim up North.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users