84 replies to this topic

#21 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

I wonder if they might do a one and done type of thing. Perhaps they would be open to recording a new song for a movie? Perhaps the next James Bond film. That would be cool.

I think the problem is Neil.  He won't be up to it.  It's more an athletic endeavor for drummers.  It's hard to come back from a layoff and still so much harder to do that in your 60s.  If he had the commitment, then maybe.  As for the new song on a soundtrack, typically bands give their leftovers for those.  If they went in the studio to do something like that, it would likely be a different drummer.

I think the most realistic thing that could happen and it would have to happen fast is that Rush decides to do what all other aging bands do.  Have a "Rush cruise" and do a Las Vegas residency.  They would still have to rehearse quite a bit and as I said, for someone like Neil it would have to happen right away, not two more years retired from now.  From where things stand right now, it really doesn't sound feasible.

• EZrhythm likes this

#22 bcugk

bcugk

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSarnia, Ontario

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

Put a fork in them, they're done

'twas a great ride though

I spun Fly by Night last night..........i still think that album is one of their best sounding releases

• Three Eyes, Rick N Backer and EZrhythm like this

#23 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationBabylon, though I'd love to spend a night in Zion

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

I think the problem is Neil.  He won't be up to it.  It's more an athletic endeavor for drummers.  It's hard to come back from a layoff and still so much harder to do that in your 60s.  If he had the commitment, then maybe.  As for the new song on a soundtrack, typically bands give their leftovers for those.  If they went in the studio to do something like that, it would likely be a different drummer.

I think the most realistic thing that could happen and it would have to happen fast is that Rush decides to do what all other aging bands do.  Have a "Rush cruise" and do a Las Vegas residency.  They would still have to rehearse quite a bit and as I said, for someone like Neil it would have to happen right away, not two more years retired from now.  From where things stand right now, it really doesn't sound feasible.

It's always been Neil. He wanted to go out on top, while he could still execute the drum parts - Neil running to the front of the stage to wave to the crowd at their "final" show was him saying goodbye. All three members mentioned how much pain he was in every night on the last tour. In an interview last year Geddy said both he and Alex were eager to start writing again, but that not everyone was onboard. Geddy and Alex have home studios where they regularly record new ideas and work with other bands, while Neil hasn't been involved in music in any capacity - he did the guest appearance on the last Vertical Horizon album in 2013, but I'm not aware of anything else since.

• EZrhythm likes this

#24 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

Have a "Rush cruise" ...

I just pictured Neil on a boat in the middle of the ocean with 3,000 fans...LOL

hqdefault.jpg

• fenderjazz, Greg, baldiepete and 5 others like this

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#25 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

LoL

#26 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

hqdefault.jpg

Lol  :lol:

Either that or take a winding path on a Jet-Ski before the show night.

• The Macallan and EZrhythm like this

#27 Oak

Oak

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

hqdefault.jpg

Or perhaps a ferry boat with a guy wearing a Caress of Steel album sleeve on his head. 😉
  • Three Eyes, chemistry1973, MrSkeptic and 3 others like this

#28 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

I think the most realistic thing that could happen and it would have to happen fast is that Rush decides to do what all other aging bands do.  Have a "Rush cruise" and do a Las Vegas residency.

Hey, they can open for Kiss again. :)

fb-share.jpg

Kiss-Cruise-c-Will-Byington.jpg

• Rick N Backer and EZrhythm like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#29 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

Everyone knows better not to set foot in that jacuzzi.

I’m not a kiss fan but I have a friend who says the kruise is a blast.
  • Three Eyes and EZrhythm like this

#30 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

I’m not a kiss fan but I have a friend who says the kruise is a blast.

I work with someone who goes every year to this.  They have an unplugged show on the deck like in that picture above as the ship departs port.  They play for about an hour and take requests too, and attempt to do them.  They'll do a Beatles song or two as well.  You get an appointment time where Kiss comes in full makeup to your cabin for pictures.  They take a few poses and of course you can buy a package (lol).  They also have concerts, divided into two nights, basically the same setlist and the whole ship is divided.  You get to go to one of the concerts and have a reserved seat (lottery method).  Kiss is on the boat, hanging out casually with their families and guests.  You agree you will leave them alone somewhat (no autographs or pictures) but can socialize normally.  No crowding, etc.  They do walk around with security.  It's loose, these are superfans who attend this, many people Kiss knows all these years from sitting in the front row (think Rushgirl or Kelly D for example).  Band and guest band contact is pretty high.

• chemistry1973, Rick N Backer and EZrhythm like this

#31 Andrush

Andrush

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

Yes, Neil has his own issues.  They are very real, and, well, maybe he is taking the time to be a dad.  Who could fault him for that?  Let's not forget Geddy's voice.  I have to skip some tracks of R40 because I can't bear to listen to them.  If they were to do some studio based work, that's fine.  But live shows?  The ship has sailed.  And no, not "Cruise to the Edge".

• EZrhythm likes this

#32 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

I think Neil is pretty clear on his post-retirement plans.  I think the other two are still figuring it out.  There will be musical pursuits, I'm certain, but a reunion and tour almost definitely not.  Alex seems happy with his guest appearances and producing and even acting.  Geddy I'm sure we will hear something from eventually.

• EZrhythm likes this

#33 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

I think Neil is pretty clear on his post-retirement plans.  I think the other two are still figuring it out.  There will be musical pursuits, I'm certain, but a reunion and tour almost definitely not.  Alex seems happy with his guest appearances and producing and even acting.  Geddy I'm sure we will hear something from eventually.

Geddy will die with a bass in his hand - the guy is even putting together a book of his bass collection. Neil was so integral to the lyrics. Geddy proved he can pull lyrics together, but it's not something he enjoys. Perhaps Neil won't contribute as a musician, but I wonder if he would donate any unused lyrical ideas he's kept over the years, or even assist Geddy with phrasing, assuming Geddy and Alex start writing again. He'd still get to write, which I assume he still loves, and have a voice to express his views and opinions of the world.

#34 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:04 AM

How about Geddy and Alex get a lyricist who writes lyrics that are properly integrated with the songs rather than inelegantly shoe-horned in on top of the music they’ve written.
  • Slim, Three Eyes, MrSkeptic and 2 others like this

#35 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:56 AM

Especially if they saw Gene using it beforehand. I doubt there are chemicals strong enough to kill his robust brand of STDs.

• chemistry1973 and The Macallan like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#36 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

Geddy will die with a bass in his hand - the guy is even putting together a book of his bass collection. Neil was so integral to the lyrics. Geddy proved he can pull lyrics together, but it's not something he enjoys. Perhaps Neil won't contribute as a musician, but I wonder if he would donate any unused lyrical ideas he's kept over the years, or even assist Geddy with phrasing, assuming Geddy and Alex start writing again. He'd still get to write, which I assume he still loves, and have a voice to express his views and opinions of the world.

How about Geddy and Alex get a lyricist who writes lyrics that are properly integrated with the songs rather than inelegantly shoe-horned in on top of the music they’ve written.

I'm going to say something really controversial here and basically agree/disagree on some things. Their songwriting effort doesn't require Neil. Yes, Neil's themes and intelligent lyrics are great and inspiring. The problem is the conversion of poetry to a "song" involves the use of melody as well as the use of timekeeping. His "rhythmic rhyming" is all you need for rap. Melody and music are where a song vs a rap song come together. If you can transfer Neil's creative mind into Alex and Geddy and have them write the songs, you'd really have something more catchy. If you think about it, what is the missing element when sharing Rush music with non-Rush listeners is the lack of "catchiness" of the music. The hook is typically instrumental only and if you proposed "victim" of hearing Rush's music for the first time is not a musician or not musically inclined, they probably won't like it. That's not to say Rush has to sound like every other band. It’s just that their songwriting process is unnecessarily laborious by handing drafts back and forth rather than musical participation.

Listen to the Foo Fighters. Dave is probably one of the greatest lyricists/melodicists out there now. Forget their production, it's Vapor Trails mud. Listen only to the words and vocal melody and see how both serve each other. Give "Run" a run. Listen to those verses and choruses and how varied and beautiful the melody is. That's what I'm talking about here. The song is about post 2016 election but it can be about anything too. It's multifaceted. It can be about loving someone and wanting to run away with them, could be about escaping politics, etc. This is really a good lyric too.

• SpaceGhost2112 likes this

#37 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

I was pretty sure they were done when they announced their last tour, and bought tickets accordingly. I'm very glad that they made it clear beforehand that they were most likely done so I could enjoy one last show.

hat said, I don't think we have seen the last of Rush as a group - sort of. At some point the right cause will rear it's ugly head and they will take the stage for a song or two for a worthy charity or tribute. 

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#38 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

I was pretty sure they were done when they announced their last tour, and bought tickets accordingly. I'm very glad that they made it clear beforehand that they were most likely done so I could enjoy one last show.

hat said, I don't think we have seen the last of Rush as a group - sort of. At some point the right cause will rear it's ugly head and they will take the stage for a song or two for a worthy charity or tribute. 

I sure hope you'e right, but they ain't gettin any younger and it takes time to get your chops back before performing or recording. If there's any hope of Neil being involved, it's not clear if he has even been around percussion, let alone played, in years. Geddy and Alex rarely hear from him.

http://www.blabbermo...basically-done/

The 65-year-old Peart revealed in RUSH's documentary "Time Stand Still" that he initially had no intention of going on a tour in 2015. "In November [of 2014], we all got together in Toronto and I was quite prepared to say, 'Sorry, I'm done,'" he said in the film. "I realized I was kind of a solitary misfit in that context of being the one that wanted to pull that plug. I left one little window in my mind that if somebody wanted to do it one more time and didn't know if they'd be able to, [I would do it]."

Lifeson and Lee confirmed that the band will never do a show unless all three musicians agree to take part. "It's not like you just get new members of a band and just go for it," said Lifeson. "RUSH has never been a band like that. We'd never, ever do something like that." Lee added: "We always said that if the three of us aren't on board, we don't do a thing. There have been other decisions in our career where the three of us weren't on board and we didn't do it. Nothing as profound as ending our touring life, but fair enough. So one guy doesn't want to do that thing anymore that I love to do. That hurts. But there's nothing I can do about it and that's part of the agreement."

#39 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Everything is up for change, and this answer exists in the moment, but as we all have said, it would be difficult for someone Neil's age to come back and play at the level he plays, even for one show, even for one recording, without playing for two years.  If the other two change their minds, they would have to break their agreement and get another drummer.  Probably not going to happen.  I'd think the most likely scenario of seeing them play music would be solo albums/tours or perhaps them joining or starting some sort of prog supergroup.  I'd really like the latter.  Imagine a band like Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band, but prog.  Something like Alex, Geddy, Mike Portnoy, Peter Gabriel, David Gilmour. Jan Hammer all getting together and touring playing each others songs.  That would be pretty cool.

• SpaceGhost2112, Rick N Backer, AnalogKid and 1 other like this

#40 River Alph

River Alph

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

selfish bastards all....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users