Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:32 AM

It’s time to let go ... :(

https://www.theglobe...762/?cmpid=rss1

It's been a little over two years since Rush last toured. We have no plans to tour or record any more. We're basically done. After 41 years, we felt it was enough.

Thanks for the good times Alex, Geddy and Neil (and John).

First person to claim you can’t believe what Alex says in an interview coming along in 5,4,3 ...

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

That's the most definitive evidence that it's all over so far, I think.

#3 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Not surprising. I was one of the guys who hoped they would get back after a rest but that doesn't look realistic anymore. Surprisingly, I've come to terms with it. I'd still like to see a Lee/Lifeson project but I'm thinking there is little chance of that as well. 

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#4 Oak

Oak

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

I’m happy for them and their families. Each member is working on the most important project of their life....connecting with family and friends without obligation to the business they nurtured for 41 years. A show of hands for three men who were role models to their legions of fans. Bravo Alex, Geddy, and Neil. 👏

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,961 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

I think when it was just Neil, there was a glimmer of hope. There even was a glimmer of hope that Alex and Geddy would get together with another drummer. This is basically Alex saying he’s done too. Yes he’s speaking for the group but he’s also speaking for himself. He seems to be enjoying life where it is right now. There are still musical projects but definitely no Rush.

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

It's actually 50 years this year since Alex started the band with John Rutsey and Jeff Jones.

#7 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

A STANDING O' TO THE MASTER TRIO!

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

The only thing that changes everything is that they run out of money and run out of "vault" items to sell to us.  Then a tour is imminent.  Granted with Neil, the further away he is from playing everyday the less hope of a musical "recovery" but Alex and Geddy are still loose.  It's not that it can't happen, it's that they aren't interested in it right now.

What I would like to see is Alex and Geddy do some one-off supergroup like projects.

#9 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

I believed them from the get go and don't doubt their sincerity now. Rush as a recording and touring act, are done. Perhaps things change a few years from now but I wouldn't lay bets. It was a great run and a long one, there really wasn't anything held back. We got it all and I eagerly await some archival releases. Currently I'm converting all those Rush shows from shns into flac so I'm occupied with all the Rush I need, really don't even want to hear about "new" album talk.

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#10 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

I believed them from the get go and don't doubt their sincerity now. Rush as a recording and touring act, are done. Perhaps things change a few years from now but I wouldn't lay bets. It was a great run and a long one, there really wasn't anything held back. We got it all and I eagerly await some archival releases. Currently I'm converting all those Rush shows from shns into flac so I'm occupied with all the Rush I need, really don't even want to hear about "new" album talk.

And in the past ten years, new album talk really never exited me, other than the impending tour that would follow.  I do hope they release some alternate studio stuff, even some remixes.  Strip down some of the muckier sounding tracks for example.  Maybe this gives them the time to do things like that.  If Hemispheres was such a chore to record, as has been said, maybe for it's anniversary release some of the alternate takes as a bonus track.  All the cool kids are doing this these days.

#11 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

The scarcity of Rush’s vault has always been a head scratcher.

Very disappointing and strange, in that it’s the exact polar opposite of almost every other band that I love and admire.

Sir Gawain outtakes third line.
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#12 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

Not many musicians just give up playing. I’m certain there will be projects from the individual members in the future.

Who knows, maybe Rush reform sometime in the coming years. They had better start planning...

However the Rush we love is the road-dog version of the band - hungry as fuck to blow people’s minds.

They hung it up at the right moment, leaving many fans wanting more. But one listen to R40 says it all.

#13 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

Very disappointing and strange, in that it’s the exact polar opposite of almost every other band that I love and admire.

Those recordings exist. Maybe not studio outtakes, but certainly there are recorded rehearsals and jam sessions.

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

It’s time to let go ... :(

https://www.theglobe...762/?cmpid=rss1

Thanks for the good times Alex, Geddy and Neil (and John).

First person to claim you can’t believe what Alex says in an interview coming along in 5,4,3 ...

81eGpufoDDL.jpg

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#15 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

Sure but the master tapes exist and they have alternate tracks, or buried tracks right in them.  Alex double-tracked all of his rhythm guitar parts for example.  Just dial in Xanadu, fade down one of the tracks and you've got a remix!  Certainly there are lots of things they can do to make rehashed products more interesting.  I love the live stuff, but there definitely is a limited supply of well-recorded live stuff they want to release.  There's a ton of stuff right on the studio master tapes certainly

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

Sure but the master tapes exist and they have alternate tracks, or buried tracks right in them.  Alex double-tracked all of his rhythm guitar parts for example.  Just dial in Xanadu, fade down one of the tracks and you've got a remix!  Certainly there are lots of things they can do to make rehashed products more interesting.  I love the live stuff, but there definitely is a limited supply of well-recorded live stuff they want to release.  There's a ton of stuff right on the studio master tapes certainly

It would be great if they would someday just release the raw tracks of all the albums to the public in digital download form. Timed releases, natch. Then we could all do our worst with them.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#17 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

It's too bad they don't have a back catalog of older unreleased material. I'd kill to hear previously unreleased 70s stuff, even if they didn't believe it was up to their usual standards. It would still be essentially new vintage Rush and that would be fantastic to us fans.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#18 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

It would be great if they would someday just release the raw tracks of all the albums to the public in digital download form. Timed releases, natch. Then we could all do our worst with them.

Peter Gabriel released the multi tracks of Games Without Frontiers for a contest years ago. Fans submitted their own remixes of the songs.

You bet I’d BUY Hemispheres in multitrack form.

#19 Starscream2112

Starscream2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

I wonder if they might do a one and done type of thing. Perhaps they would be open to recording a new song for a movie? Perhaps the next James Bond film. That would be cool.

#20 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

Walked out of MSG on 6/29/15 and knew that was the end of the road for me and Rush. Sad, but true.

I got really drunk and had a great time. Enjoy your retirement gents!

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users