6 replies to this topic

#1 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

While never thinking about it very much I've always pictured the physical mass of a black hole as being a sort of fist-sized super-squashed lump of matter. I'm not talking about the area of space within the event horizon, I mean the actual stuff. The crushed star stuff.

And yet I read something today that tells me that the physical volume of a black hole is zero; literally zero. A singularity.

How can this be? The atoms in the stars and other stuff that contribute to its mass can't have zero volume, can they? How can an atom take up no physical space?

#2 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

And then we have something which has no physical space and is a Super Massive example of its species.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:32 AM

Maybe it's not so much that there's literally zero volume, but that we don't yet have a framework that can measure or explain it.  Our equations yield an impossible result because our theories are flawed or incomplete.

• Slim and Pressure/Hopenosis like this

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#4 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:57 AM

That's my guess  ^^^

Our science just doesn't have an explanation yet, but I'm optimistic that it will.  I was actually thinking of this today on my ride.  I think everything is knowable.  There aren't mysteries or things which are inexplicable...we just have things which we cannot, as of today, explain.  So I think this is a placeholder to be something of a bookmark for when our knowledge CAN explain it.  

That's my guess anyhoo.  As we know, science is ever-evolving...it's a wonderous time to be alive.  

#5 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

I don't think everything is knowable. There must be things a human couldn't ever understand. The absolute origin of everything, for example. I can't even conceptualise a made-up answer that makes sense to me.

#6 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

I don't think everything is knowable. There must be things a human couldn't ever understand. The absolute origin of everything, for example. I can't even conceptualise a made-up answer that makes sense to me.

At our current level, I agree. However, a million years up the evolution ladder? Who knows

All of this presupposes that we don't blow ourselves up long before that. 

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

The sewer pipe queen

Dangles my dream
Makes all that I've seen
Seem so obscene - Kings X, Skeptical Winds

#7 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

You've surprised me a couple of times. Once when you said that you'd prefer not to know how famous magic tricks are done...and now this.  

I think everything single thing has an explanation.  It's just that, currently, our models and frameworks can't explain a lot, but that just means we have a lot to learn...and perhaps (and most likely) our frameworks and models will need to be tossed out, modified or new ones need to be developed altogether.  Current models can't explain a lot, but that doesn't mean there isn't an explanation out there.  We just need to keep digging...and that is exciting to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users