Photo

Has “Rush in Rio” been remastered or remixed?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

On Spotify there’s a “U.S. Version”. It sounds way better than my old CD.

I’m interested in what the ‘versioning’ refers to.

Perhaps it’s just compressed differently, but there is way less ear fatigue, and I hear the drums much more clearly.

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

I do recall that it sounded pretty bad when I (briefly) had the CD. One of the few CDs that I've taken back to the shop. At that time HMV had a rather liberal return policy. Not dissimilar to ESL, just a bit muffled.

#3 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

This CD sounded dreadful.  Makes me wonder if the sound engineers were deaf or not.  I listened to is once and put it away.  Nice to know there is a redux of it...!

#4 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

The only repackaging of RiR I'm aware of was the R40: Boxed Set in 2014 (I don't actually own it).  It may have been remastered there for Blu Ray?

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,149 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

I do recall that it sounded pretty bad when I (briefly) had the CD. One of the few CDs that I've taken back to the shop. At that time HMV had a rather liberal return policy. Not dissimilar to ESL, just a bit muffled.

ESL I took back to the shop when it came out.  Couldn't understand why it sounded like it was under a pillow.  It was the cassette era, and I swapped it for a vinyl.  Same problem.  To my ears these days it doesn't sound as bad.  It goes to show you how we have gotten used to shite sound these days.

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

ESL I took back to the shop when it came out.  Couldn't understand why it sounded like it was under a pillow.  It was the cassette era, and I swapped it for a vinyl.  Same problem.  To my ears these days it doesn't sound as bad.  It goes to show you how we have gotten used to shite sound these days.

I wonder if it has something to do with Geddy overdubbing his vocals. Maybe they had to do that to blend the seams. But to my ears it's probably Rush's best sounding officially released live album. The distant quality beautifully serves a good bit of Rush's fantasy-esque material of that era. It's a singular album. I don't think I've ever heard another live album like it. But St. Louis 1980 is the most perfect example I've heard of Rush in the raw.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#7 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBabylon, though I'd love to spend a night in Zion

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

Tidal lists the personnel, such as mixing and mastering engineers, for the U.S. Version and they are the same as what's listed on Wikipedia:

• Produced & Mixed By Alex Lifeson & James "Jimbo" Barton
  • Recorded & Engineered By Brad Madix
  • Mastered By Adam Ayan

#8 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:29 AM

Regarding ESL:  

I wonder if it has something to do with Geddy overdubbing his vocals. Maybe they had to do that to blend the seams. But to my ears it's probably Rush's best sounding officially released live album.

I agree the original ESL sound is great. The video release of ESL too.

The Rush Replay ESL video sound is total shit in my opinion.

#9 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:20 AM

The "Sectors" remaster of ESL is great!  Imo, it's about as good as they could get that album to sound.   :2  thumbs up:

#10 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:48 AM

Can’t go wrong with St. Louis 1980.

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:42 AM

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#12 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

I wonder if it has something to do with Geddy overdubbing his vocals. Maybe they had to do that to blend the seams. But to my ears it's probably Rush's best sounding officially released live album.

Really? That's an opinion I didn't expect to encounter. Just listened to a bit of it again for the first time in 13 or 14 years and it just sounds dead; muffled, as if someone carefully gaffa-taped four pairs of hiking socks round each of the mics. It has a certain off-air medium-wave radio quality to it that just baffles me.

I still don't understand how this happened, really. They'd made a more than competent live album a few years earlier, one that takes you right into the venue yet at a critical time in their career, when they could have made a brilliant, career highlight live album and must surely have had the wherewithal and resources to do so - they just dropped the ball.

Fair play if you actually like the way it sounds but I can't believe they actually intended that. Geddy has described it as "sterile" but to my ears it's worse than that, it's dead.

#13 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

Because it's snowing and I can't go out on my bike, I knocked up a video intended to compare the recordings of The Spirit Of Radio as released on ESL and the GUP tour album. It's not perfectly edited, but I hope I spent enough time on it to illustrate a point.

#14 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Really? That's an opinion I didn't expect to encounter. Just listened to a bit of it again for the first time in 13 or 14 years and it just sounds dead; muffled, as if someone carefully gaffa-taped four pairs of hiking socks round each of the mics. It has a certain off-air medium-wave radio quality to it that just baffles me.

I still don't understand how this happened, really. They'd made a more than competent live album a few years earlier, one that takes you right into the venue yet at a critical time in their career, when they could have made a brilliant, career highlight live album and must surely have had the wherewithal and resources to do so - they just dropped the ball.

Fair play if you actually like the way it sounds but I can't believe they actually intended that. Geddy has described it as "sterile" but to my ears it's worse than that, it's dead.

I think it may have been an issue of transfer - taking those raw recordings and then mixing them with studio vocal takes - not to mention that they had to attempt to mix out the bleed through from the live vocal takes - like with closer to the heart.

I think a similar comparison with St. Louis 80 and ESL would be interesting too.

#15 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

For example - they were using monitors (wedges) in those days. No in-ears. So Peart’s overheads would pick up Geddy’s live vocals as clear as a bell. So you’d have to gate the shit out of the drum mics, and not use the overheads too much. If you squelch the drums you might have to do the same to the guitars.

Another crackpot theory I have is that ESL may not be live at all in some places. So they may have had to mix the soundcheck or studio takes with the live takes, in order to make it sound seamless- like a complete show.

The Police recorded a whole show -without vocals-in a rehearsal space for a similar purpose: Well recorded performances where they can drop in the pitch perfect vocals and crowd noise later.

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

Really? That's an opinion I didn't expect to encounter.

We went back and forth on this years ago. You don't remember?

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

Because it's snowing and I can't go out on my bike, I knocked up a video intended to compare the recordings of The Spirit Of Radio as released on ESL and the GUP tour album. It's not perfectly edited, but I hope I spent enough time on it to illustrate a point.

Firstly, this comparison would be more effective if the volumes were more evenly matched. Secondly, from my point of view, the argument was never about whether ESL sounds less bright than other Rush live releases. It's obviously less bright. For me, it's always been about seeing ESL as an interesting aesthetic take on a live recording. There's a fantastical quality to it, imo, whether intentional or not. I feel like I'm hearing a concert rising up from the realms of some mythical place. 

#18 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

I don't remember having this discussion on CP, no. I remember a similar discussion about Rush in Rio on TNMS once.

In the early '70s, international football was sometimes broadcast "live by satellite" - something that's so commonplace and mundane now that it doesn't even get mentioned. But in those days it was quite exciting to be able to see live TV from another country. A bit like the Internet in the early '90s.

The audio quality of the commentary transmitted over the satellite was always awful, like a shortwave radio station. But that added massively to the excitement; to the sense that you were experiencing something from a very faraway place, like a wormhole opened to a distant galaxy. I really miss that. These days of course the audio signal from a live event anywhere on the planet is pristine and indistinguishable from a broadcast from a studio in London or Leicester.

#19 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

^^^ Sounds like you're getting me now.

#20 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

Firstly, this comparison would be more effective if the volumes were more evenly matched. Secondly, from my point of view, the argument was never about whether ESL sounds less bright than other Rush live releases. It's obviously less bright. For me, it's always been about seeing ESL as an interesting aesthetic take on a live recording. There's a fantastical quality to it, imo, whether intentional or not. I feel like I'm hearing a concert rising up from the realms of some mythical place. 

I remember getting this on cassette and being struck by how "dull" it sounded; not the songs, mind you, but the sound. I was still in my early Rush phase, the first album I got was MP on vinyl (which my dog chewed some years later) and the second was CoS (there's a mix of two different Rushes for you, a lot for a newb to get his ears around).

Years later, as a true and proper fan, it still sounds the same, but there is always a very soft spot in my heart for this album as it was my first intro to the full scope of the 70s/early 80s Rush. After reading this thread last night, dug it out today and played the CD on my way in to work, brought a smile to the face; helps that it is the Sectors remix which does help somewhat. Still a good visit from an old friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users