#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

https://www.rollings...t-dying-w514442

I found it amazingly pompous and accidentally ironic.

Thoughts?

#2 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

I couldn't make it more than a 1/3 of the way through, between him and Jann Wenner's bullshit.

Pomposity, thy name is Bono.

#3 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationBabylon, though I'd love to spend a night in Zion

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

I couldn't make it more than a 1/3 of the way through, between him and Jann Wenner's bullshit.

Pomposity, thy name is Bono.

Just like I couldn't make it past track 3 on their latest album. "Better to burn out, than to fade away."

#4 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,948 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

I liked his and The Edge’s interview with Stern this year. He kept the pomposity to a minimum. RS just let him go off on his messianic BS. I think like most 80s rock acts they are going the greatest hits nostalgia route. Sure they put out a new album but it’s hardly bravery. U2’s best creative days are indeed behind them. They lack the humility that the Foo Fighters have. To me, the torch has been passed. Dave Grohl has the heart and soul that these guys just lack.

#5 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

I liked his and The Edge’s interview with Stern this year. He kept the pomposity to a minimum. RS just let him go off on his messianic BS. I think like most 80s rock acts they are going the greatest hits nostalgia route. Sure they put out a new album but it’s hardly bravery. U2’s best creative days are indeed behind them. They lack the humility that the Foo Fighters have. To me, the torch has been passed. Dave Grohl has the heart and soul that these guys just lack.

Exactly. U2 are the classic example of a band (e.g. Rolling Stones) that's made it so big that they have every resource available to them and they think they need to consistenly out do themselves. The problem, besides having aged significantly, is they're reaching for something unattainable and spending so much time and energy reworking parts, which never should have been retouched, to the point of stripping them of their urgency and beauty. Like so many successful bands, the early albums made them successful because the music was honest, visceral, and in the moment - they had a real urgency to do something different that they believed in, not just for the sake of sounding different, and getting out to the world.

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:30 PM

It was always Larry that made them seem edgy. His drumming propelled the music and pushed it forward. Without him it’s all schmaltzy crap. He’s been rendered insignificant for the last six albums.

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

Without live drums, guitars -in a rock/pop context are just another sound effect another plug-in another whatever.

Drums add uncertainty - even fear - to music. Imagine if Rush just used drum machines, produced music with Danger Mouse - it may sound intriguing in concept but it would most definitely suck in reality.

#8 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

It was always Larry that made them seem edgy. His drumming propelled the music and pushed it forward. Without him it’s all schmaltzy crap. He’s been rendered insignificant for the last six albums.

Very true. Not only are the drums pushed way back in the mix on the latest album, but, as you say, they simply aren't live. They're either overly processed, electronic, or probably a machine in many cases. They need to bow out before they severly damage their amazing career. 

#9 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

I'm going to disagree on a few points in this thread.  First, the Foo Fighters thing...  The Foo's have become almost intolerable to these ears, and while Dave isn't pompous in the world stage-activist sense, he's becoming a parody of himself.  And their most recent efforts since Wasting Light have been awful.  Overall, the Foo's catalog can't hold a candle to U2's, including recent output.  To add insult to injury, the last time I saw the Foo's live (Citi Field a couple of summers ago) they were flat out terrible!  Possibly the worst big name rock show I've ever seen/paid for.

The new U2 album is decent, not great, but definitely not awful.  The last album, Songs Of Innocence, was fantastic.  Why it caught such backlash over the Apple stunt I'll never understand, but it was the best thing they'd done since the early 90's.  On top of that, their live shows are still some of the best in the business.

#10 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationDragon's Triangle

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

Tough talk from a man who's only 5 foot 6. I used to be a huge U2 fan, but I haven't bought their last 2 albums.  Bono is so arrogant and his band has gotten too soft.  

Everything lost is meant to be found.” ― Lara Croft

#11 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

I'm going to disagree on a few points in this thread.  First, the Foo Fighters thing...  The Foo's have become almost intolerable to these ears, and while Dave isn't pompous in the world stage-activist sense, he's becoming a parody of himself.  And their most recent efforts since Wasting Light have been awful.  Overall, the Foo's catalog can't hold a candle to U2's, including recent output.  To add insult to injury, the last time I saw the Foo's live (Citi Field a couple of summers ago) they were flat out terrible!  Possibly the worst big name rock show I've ever seen/paid for.

The new U2 album is decent, not great, but definitely not awful.  The last album, Songs Of Innocence, was fantastic.  Why it caught such backlash over the Apple stunt I'll never understand, but it was the best thing they'd done since the early 90's.  On top of that, their live shows are still some of the best in the business.

I'm not even a huge U2 fan, but I couldn't get past track 3 on the new album. Like Rush, I don't expect them to keep repeating themselves, but, this album is awful. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is far better than Songs of Innocence and, of course, Beautiful Days if one of their best songs ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users