#1 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

A couple of days before Christmas I was being woke up around 2 am by a pain in my upper chest. I thought it was acid reflux, so I drank some water with baking soda in it, felt better, and thought nothing of it. Around 11 pm Christmas night it came back hard, a crushing pain, and my upper left arm started going numb. I told Karen to call 911, and was taken to the ER. A cardiologist there admitted me to the hospital. Tuesday they put a catheter in my heart and found a blockage,then did a balloon angioplasty and inserted a stent to keep the artery open. Merry fucking Christmas! I'm came home around 3 yesterday afternoon with script for a bunch of new medications, appointments with a cardiologist and for rehab, and lifestyle changes. Looks like no more crazy eating and craft beer binges for the bear. Oh well get busy healthy, or get busy dying, that's god damn right.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#2 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

A couple of days before Christmas I was being woke up around 2 am by a pain in my upper chest. I thought it was acid reflux, so I drank some water with baking soda in it, felt better, and thought nothing of it. Around 11 pm Christmas night it came back hard, a crushing pain, and my upper left arm started going numb. I told Karen to call 911, and was taken to the ER. A cardiologist there admitted me to the hospital. Tuesday they put a catheter in my heart and found a blockage,then did a balloon angioplasty and inserted a stent to keep the artery open. Merry fucking Christmas! I'm came home around 3 yesterday afternoon with script for a bunch of new medications, appointments with a cardiologist and for rehab, and lifestyle changes. Looks like no more crazy eating and craft beer binges for the bear. Oh well get busy healthy, or get busy dying, that's god damn right.

Wow. I hope you have a full recovery. That sounds very similar to what happened to a friend of mine about 3 years ago and he seems to be absolutely fine now. He has to take a bunch of meds now and he’s a bit more careful about what he eats but he can still have a few beers and Jack Daniels.
  • pjbear05 likes this

#3 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

Scary, man!

Glad you're still with us! 

• pjbear05 likes this

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

Wow that's a helluva Merry Christmas!! Sorry to hear this bad news. Hoping the best for you.

• pjbear05 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#5 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

Holy Jibbers!  Glad you're on the mend, man!

• pjbear05 likes this

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

Glad you’re doing better but shit! Take care of yourself. I’ve done the whole healthy lifestyle thing this year. No problems for me but I could have been a statistic going the way I was. You can do this. You really are now being in someone’s care a lot better off even given what you’ve went through. You’ll still be good to enjoy the occasional indulgence but for now focus on good health. Take care and keep us posted. If you need to check in and be accountable, I’m here
  • pjbear05 likes this

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

Glad you’re on the mend man!
  • pjbear05 likes this

#8 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:31 PM

No-Ho-Ho-Ho!

Glad you're still with us. I recommend a Bicycle and one beer a week. Once you start riding it, you can up the beer :)

• pjbear05 and MrSkeptic like this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, folks. After a couple of day resting and assessing things, I'm starting my dietary changes by throwing all the bad and junk foods (but not the beer) into the garbage. I'm wondering if this could have been work stress related, as I am setting things up to retire at the end of February. That will be a relief in itself.
  • baldiepete and Three Eyes like this

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

#10 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

No-Ho-Ho-Ho!

Glad you're still with us. I recommend a Bicycle and one beer a week. Once you start riding it, you can up the beer :)

The hospital I was treated at has me set up with their rehab facility, which has a bunch of cardio equipment like treadmills, stationary bikes, elliptical machines and the like. After doing a round of rehab, I'll definitely be needing a brew!

#11 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:25 AM

Glad to hear it was minor, I hope you have a full recovery!

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#12 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationDragon's Triangle

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

That was a real wakeup call, wasn't it

Everything lost is meant to be found.” ― Lara Croft

#13 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

Glad you are recovering. Best of luck in making the changes you need.

#14 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:46 AM

Dodged a bullet there. Best of luck and health going forward!

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users