• PipPipPip
  • 10,185 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:03 PM

'75

d819328306fb5e22c931435f85f028bc--rob-ha

'78

rob_halford78.jpg

Rob-Halford5.jpg

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#22 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,185 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:06 PM

Judas-Priest-judas-priest-2753423-500-32

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#23 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationDragon's Triangle

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:33 PM

KK is no longer with the band.  He was a shredder and a showman.   Glenn is a technical player. They complemented each other.

Everything lost is meant to be found.” ― Lara Croft

#24 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:45 AM

Old Priest Good New Priest Bad :D

Seriously, my favourite Priest albums are Sin after Sin, Point of Entry and Unleashed In the East.

#25 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:36 AM

Their drummer Scott Travis is pretty cool too.

#26 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,185 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

Gay men are so brilliant at hard rock/metal singing. Rob Halford. Freddie Mercury. Geddy Lee. The best, I tell ya! The best!

#27 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

KK Downing always had so much energy. He was electrifying to watch.

When he was in his prime, he was the sexiest man alive.

#28 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

That Richie Faulkner had some really big shoes to fill.

But after watching this clip, you realize that Priest made the right choice.

As Freddie Mercury would say, the show must go on. 

It is my fond hope that the RRHOF will see this thread.

Then they will fall in love with Priest and see the error of their ways. 

#29 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

My favorite Priest guitarists ranked in order:

1. K.K. Downing

2. Glenn Tipton

3. Richie Faulkner

52436025.jpg?w=594&h=1&crop=1

Not familiar with the Richie fella but Glenn was always my favourite player in Priest - that solo in Beyond The Realms of Death especially. Had no idea who played what on the records until I saw them in 1980. No Youtube or even MTV in those days. Was quite an eye-opener to see that GT played all the brain-scaldingly impressive parts.

#30 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

Gay men are so brilliant at hard rock/metal singing. Rob Halford. Freddie Mercury. Geddy Lee. The best, I tell ya! The best!

Don't forget Steven Tyler, Gene Simmons, Kevin Cronin, Vince Neil, and Lemmy Kilmister.

#31 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

The Painkiller album kicks ass. I'd never heard a Priest album that heavy before

It was due in large part to the "departure" of Classic Priest drummer Dave Holland.  Holland was a very straight forward 80's rock drummer, who could never have played with that kind of relentless double kick thunder.

#32 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,087 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

Not familiar with the Richie fella but Glenn was always my favourite player in Priest - that solo in Beyond The Realms of Death especially. Had no idea who played what on the records until I saw them in 1980. No Youtube or even MTV in those days. Was quite an eye-opener to see that GT played all the brain-scaldingly impressive parts.

And the most effortless looking guitarist too.  He plays those solos like he's at the pub.

#33 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

The last time I saw Priest was August '91 in Toronto. Motorhead cancelled, Dangerous Toys cancelled but Alice Cooper still showed up. We got great seats. Center first ten rows can't remember exactly. Anyway, we bought our tickets from a scalper at below cost. The show didn't sell very well and then the cancellation of Motorhead made this concert feel ill-fated. Alice who I'm a big fan and have seen live numerous times was just uninspired that night - worst time I ever saw him out of the 15 or so times I've gone to an Alice Cooper concert. So Priest is headlining and the rumble of a Harley starts up and the band opens with Hell Bent for Leather. Halford is underneath the drum riser, on his Harley, the riser opens up, Halford guns the bike and bangs his head off the riser that didn't fully open up - he's out cold. Band continues playing what might be the only instrumental version of Hell Bent for Leather ever performed live on stage. The roadies drag Rob off with his arms wrapped around the 2 roadies on either side of him. I thought "shit this concert is cursed"  but to everyone's relief, Halford returned for the next tune and they did a complete and pretty kick ass show. Real Spinal Tap moment. The brief video clip on youtube doesn't quite capture it.

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#34 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

It was due in large part to the "departure" of Classic Priest drummer Dave Holland. Holland was a very straight forward 80's rock drummer, who could never have played with that kind of relentless double kick thunder.

Ironically I think that’s when Priest lost their mojo. It’d be cool for them to find a guy similar to Holland’s style - I like Scott Travis but he doesn’t have that forceful drive that Holland had - Travis provides a lot of double kick flash, which gets kinda boring after awhile.

#35 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:34 PM

Ironically I think that’s when Priest lost their mojo. It’d be cool for them to find a guy similar to Holland’s style - I like Scott Travis but he doesn’t have that forceful drive that Holland had - Travis provides a lot of double kick flash, which gets kinda boring after awhile.

Yeah, the whole vibe of Priest for me came from Halford's amazing vocal range entwined with the flash of genre-defining dueling guitars, backed by the steady chug of a very basic rhythm section. 

#36 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,185 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

Don't forget Steven Tyler, Gene Simmons, Kevin Cronin, Vince Neil, and Lemmy Kilmister.

And don't forget this bear either.

070813_huckabee_hmed_8a.grid-6x2.jpg

#37 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,185 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

KK Downing always had so much energy. He was electrifying to watch.

When he was in his prime, he was the sexiest man alive.

I love this song. Marching metal and then all of a sudden that epic chorus.

#38 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,185 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

I like the early albums best. They did seem to go cartoon-metal from British Steel on.

Cartoon metal. I like that turn of phrase. But as cartoon metal goes they are top of the heap.

#39 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,087 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, the whole vibe of Priest for me came from Halford's amazing vocal range entwined with the flash of genre-defining dueling guitars, backed by the steady chug of a very basic rhythm section. 

The rhythm section is what gives them a very unique take on metal.  Very much the Johnny Cash chugging train style for metal.

#40 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:22 PM

It was due in large part to the "departure" of Classic Priest drummer Dave Holland.  Holland was a very straight forward 80's rock drummer, who could never have played with that kind of relentless double kick thunder.

Interesting, because after Les Binks left they dropped Exciter from the set - supposedly because Holland couldn't play it. It certainly is a ferociously drummy tune.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users