74 replies to this topic

#61 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:27 PM

Case in point- nonsensical lyrics, uninspired drumming, directionless phrasing of the verses...
  • Rick N Backer likes this

#62 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

Remember when Rush conned us all by releasing that snippet of Far Cry before the album came out and everyone thought they were going back to their Hemispheres days? lol.

• chemistry1973 and Rick N Backer like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#63 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

Case in point- nonsensical lyrics, uninspired drumming, directionless phrasing of the verses...

Who exactly are they writing for here? If you want to write for yourself, hey, more power to you. I'm sure much of the greatest music was written that way. But I find it hard to believe they are being true to themselves here. Are they writing for critics maybe? Or just being lazy?

• chemistry1973 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#64 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

Yeah the song lyrics are so vague it’s impossible to connect with it.

There is some craftsmanship with Geddy and Alex’s arrangement, but the lyrics and singing are so last minute lazy.

#65 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

Hadn't heard that for years. It's just awful. It really is. No Brit-troll tongue-in-cheek hyperbole. It's garbage. How can they have the nerve to diss the likes of Lakeside Park and Hemispheres while serving up drivel like this? Incredible.

#66 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

Totally with you on that vocal melody. There's just nothing there. But I don't see anything that special in the arrangement either. This is the band that wrote The Spirit of Radio? Shocking.

#67 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

Well they got together to record the record- but I dont think the songs were created by weeks of working them out in rehearsals and soundchecks, while trying them out on the road before recording.

Far Cry is good. Don’t get me wrong there. Most the record is overproduced and mediocre.

I don't disagree. As far as "road testing" and rehearsing the songs like they did in the old days....that wouldn't have been an option in 2006/2007. They were taking far more time off in between albums and touring less. In the old days, they wrote on the road. They weren't doing those things in recent years.

As much as I hate to say it, I think it comes down to all bands that hang around for a long time, peak and then decline. I want more new Rush music but maybe it's best for them to go out on a higher note, as they did with Clockwork. 

• chemistry1973 likes this

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

#68 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

S&A is their most grievous example of overly-wordy lyrics shoe-horned into clunky melodies.  Aside from Far Cry and the instrumentals, I despise this album.  Plodding and monotonous. One of four Rush albums that are drink coasters for me.

The guy that wrote Anagram, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life is tellling me that everything before MP is kiddygarten crap?  OK....

• Three Eyes and SpaceGhost2112 like this

#69 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

I agree about the instrumentals, in particular Malignant Narcissism. I also enjoy Spindrift. The Way The Wind Blows has some really rockin' parts. Overall though, it's a pretty weak effort. Not Roll The Bones weak though

#70 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

"The best we can agree on is it could have been worse"

I'm not sure, Neil...

• Slim and The Macallan like this

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#71 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBabylon, though I'd love to spend a night in Zion

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

S&A is their most grievous example of overly-wordy lyrics shoe-horned into clunky melodies.  Aside from Far Cry and the instrumentals, I despise this album.  Plodding and monotonous. One of four Rush albums that are drink coasters for me.

The guy that wrote Anagram, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life is tellling me that everything before MP is kiddygarten crap?  OK....

I think Rush's vulnerability working with a rabid Rush fan in Nick Raskulinecz was a major factor. He pushed them into a direction, as Neil mentioned on his blog. Too much interference, in my opinion. Far Cry was the single, clearly, but the rest was Nick trying to make the next great Rush album to further his career. The production is decent, but not great. Even the album artwork is questionable.

#72 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:55 AM

I think Rush's vulnerability working with a rabid Rush fan in Nick Raskulinecz was a major factor. He pushed them into a direction, as Neil mentioned on his blog. Too much interference, in my opinion. Far Cry was the single, clearly, but the rest was Nick trying to make the next great Rush album to further his career. The production is decent, but not great. Even the album artwork is questionable.

Hmm, I wonder how much rascally Raskulinecz had to do with it being a crappy album.  I too recall reading about Rasky "pushing" them but my impression was more along the lines of him cheerleading, getting Neil to do a better take on a particular drum fill for example, while having no influence at all on the crappy songs themselves.  I would think a rabid Rush fan would want to steer them in the direction of their approach in the "glory days", maybe tell them to stop layering all these guitars and basses and leave some breathing room... maybe stop with the Geddy choirs... maybe mix up the tempos... that's what THIS rabid Rush fan would be trying to push them into.  

I don't see how a rabid Rush fan would push Neil into writing those talky, wordy lyrics, or push Geddy into molding them into flaccid melodies.    He just accepted whatever crap they were writing and pushed them to perform it as best they could.  Along with teasing us with the Hemispheres chord before the album was released, Geddy also mentioned that he dug the Taurus pedals out of mothballs, another thing Rasky was all excited about.  I was sure pumped up to hear that.  So where the hell is it on the album?  Buried somewhere under mounds of guitars, barely audible if it's there at all.

• Three Eyes and SpaceGhost2112 like this

#73 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

Questionable would be a compliment to the Snakes album art, its a massive turd.

I was not a fan of having a fan be their producer.

I thought the songs on snakes were mostly written by the time Nick came on board, so his influence was not as egregious as it was on CA. Nick pushing Geddy to sing in such high ranges on CA was a terrible idea. Made an already struggling Geddy sound worse. The 'throwbacks' to their old songs, it was cute the one time in Far Cry on Snakes, but it came off as lazy writing and cheap fan-service on CA. I felt nick pushed them to make a fan-service album and what resulted was not that good, tho for some reason it was well received by fanbois, critics, and most strangely, slim. 

#74 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

I found CA to be a pretty decent effort. Thank the gods they didn't end on S&A. 

#75 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

I found CA to be a pretty decent effort. Thank the gods they didn't end on S&A. 

Agreed. Certainly stronger than the previous two albums

• Rick N Backer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users