75 replies to this topic

#21 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:56 PM

Based on what, exactly? Your preference? Certainly not album sales (MP) or musicianship (PW).

You do know that album sales and musicianship count for nowt don't you?

Or do you think - or by your logic know - that say Beyoncé is better than Rush, based on album sales.

By the same logic Alan Holdsworth - for example - is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Rush based on Musicianship.

The Golden age of Rush was the 70s #factnotfiction

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBabylon, though I'd love to spend a night in Zion

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:39 PM

You do know that album sales and musicianship count for nowt don't you?

Or do you think - or by your logic know - that say Beyoncé is better than Rush, based on album sales.

By the same logic Alan Holdsworth - for example - is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Rush based on Musicianship.

The Golden age of Rush was the 70s #factnotfiction

Considering Rush has always had a cult following, particularly by musicians, and has never been a pop act, like Beyonce, I would say their song writing had clearly improved if they were able to sell millions of copies of MP. The musicianship on PW, which was recorded in 79, speaks for itself - Freewill is argueably the quintessential Rush song.

#23 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

Based on what, exactly? Your preference? Certainly not album sales (MP) or musicianship (PW).

While I would disagree with Nick's assertion that there are no great Rush albums after Hemispheres - I would put Signals and Moving Pictures in that category myself - he's not wrong in his implication that none of the albums that followed their 1978 tour de force are quite as good.

But as you say, album sales have nothing to do with it. I don't think that the "musicianship" is stronger on Permanent Waves myself but again, that's not really the critical factor. For me the strength of the material is the important criterion, and on this Hemispheres surely outranks all of their other records.

#24 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

The last guy I would trust to know what good Rush is is Nell Prett.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#25 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,087 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

Neal Pert don't know Jack Doo-Doo.

Hemispheres was the last great Rush album. It was all downhill after that.

I’d include PeW in that list but to me it’s not as great as Hemispheres. Hemispheres is a true prog masterpiece. Indulgent as fuck and unapologetic. Rush

#26 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:13 PM

Great musicianship aside, side one of Hemispheres is a tough listen with its drippy lyrics and repetitive structure, i find it booooring. Side two is a much better listen.

I hope we get a live album with the 40th release and not one of the bootleg soundboards that have been floating around for decades. The live shows are the only appeal of these releases. IDGAF about the umpteenth remaster or lousy covers or horrible new art from Hugh Syme (who seems to have lost his touch around 1996).

Also Neil is a twat for dismissing those 7 albums, its his opinion and he's entitled to it, but its also shitting on a LOT of fans. 3-4 of those albums put you on the map man, to summarily dismiss them is BS of the highest order.

#27 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:34 PM

The last guy I would trust to know what good Rush is is Nell Prett.

What does a member of the band know...

#28 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

I’d include PeW in that list but to me it’s not as great as Hemispheres. Hemispheres is a true prog masterpiece. Indulgent as fuck and unapologetic. Rush

2112 gave them the thrust to break free and that momentum peaked with Hemispheres, where the music got more intense and Geddy had to sing higher for his vocals to cut through. After that, they probably accepted that they had to shift to a more focused, mainstream sound that incorporated a lot of influences, particularly reggae, but that's what took from famous to rockstars.

#29 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:25 AM

Hemispheres kicks so much ass. They just dialed it in on that record. I love the mix. I love everything about it (aside from the filler that is The Trees).

They out-progged everyone with this record.

#30 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:06 AM

Geddy had to sing higher for his vocals to cut through

didn't you see the Hemispheres section on Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary?  I believe it was on that where Geddy said they first recorded the music, then he started laying down vocals on top of it, and it occurred to him only then that he would have to be straining on a lot of the vocals. He was bummed about that. They didn't want such ear-piercing high vocals, but they had little choice.

#31 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,087 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:32 AM

^^^
Correct. The music was in the wrong key for his range. He pushed it. Frankly he did a great job with it.

#32 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:53 AM

^^^ And it probably came out better because of it. But I wonder if it made him say fuck it I'm not going to sing this high on future albums.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#33 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:55 AM

Hemispheres kicks so much ass. They just dialed it in on that record. I love the mix. I love everything about it (aside from the filler that is The Trees).

They say everyone is entitled to their opinion but you are not entitled to that opinion. lol.

#34 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

What does a member of the band know...

Sometimes, the worst person to ask is a member of the band. Generally, Rush has always considered their latest effort to be their best and there are other musicians who feel similarly about their work. That doesn't make it true. The idea that Roll The Bones or Vapor Trails is better than Hemispheres or Kings is silly.

Peart's tendency to dismiss everything pre-Moving Pictures is equally silly.  It's simply ga ga to ignore that entire part of their catalog. On the other hand, it's just as goofy to disregard everything that came after MP, as some "fans" do.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#35 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

True. Bands are shitty marketers and don’t really get their own appeal sometimes.

Paul McCartney comes to mind. He constantly references John Lennon because I think he believes fans respond to Lennon the most, when in reality it’s Macca who always had more of the impact.

Phil Collins, a guy who seems perennially embarrassed by his solo work, is another.

Not saying any of this is bad. It speaks more to their artistry actually.

#36 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

When did Neil dismiss pre-Moving Pictures stuff? Do you recall?

#37 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

He's mentioned it in interviews but I can't find an example right now

Rush02.JPG

#38 sickasadog

sickasadog

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

When did Neil dismiss pre-Moving Pictures stuff? Do you recall?

Don't recall when, be he said listening to these albums was like looking at pictures you drew in Kindergarten, or something along that line.

#39 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

Don't recall when, be he said listening to these albums was like looking at pictures you drew in Kindergarten, or something along that line.

I can understand him thinking that way about the earliest albums but Permanent Waves or Kings and Hemispheres? Odd stance to take.

Rush02.JPG

#40 ClassicB

ClassicB

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:04 PM

The best work RUSH did was from '77 to '83. From '84 to '92 Geddy and Alex's guitar sound got really thin and from '96 to '13 Neil's drum tone killed any hopes for great albums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users