Photo

Rush - Different Stages (Xanadu) vs. A Farewell to Kings 40th anniv.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

Just happened to notice that Xanadu from Hammersmith Odeon February 1978 on the AFTK 40th anniversary release is noticeably different as compared to Different Stages, right at the beginning when the drums start. We now know that Neil made a drumming flub there, and apparently back when Different Stages was released, they (maybe Geddy and/or Paul Northfield) felt it necessary to hide the mistake by overdubbing the 2nd bar onto the 1st.  :lol: 

https://youtu.be/08SJ7EoAgB4

• chemistry1973 and timbale like this

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

I'd love to hear what the ESL shows really sound like as compared to what they released.

• chemistry1973 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

I'd love to hear what the ESL shows really sound like as compared to what they released.

Me too

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

#4 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

Interesting sonic comparison, too...

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#5 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Yeah... why does the DS version sound better?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  What the crap is going on here? :blink:  :huh:

• chemistry1973 and bytor11 like this

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

Here’s hoping they do that when they release the MP 40th anniversary edition.
  • timbale likes this

#7 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Here’s hoping they do that when they release the MP 40th anniversary edition.

Indeed.  The lack of newly released "old" live shows is a mystery to me.  We know that they recorded shows on pretty much every tour.

When they released the Time Machine tour cd, I thought it would be perfect to release a full length MP tour recording with it.  The only reason I could see at the time for not doing it was that it would draw attention to how different things were sounding back in "82... particularly Geddy's voice.  But now that they're retired, I would think it would be a relatively easy income stream for them.  (I know someone would have to do the work of going through the tapes etc...)  

They should do 40th anniversary live releases for the next 10 years.  Start with the Hemispheres tour in 2018 and run them through to maybe Power Window in 2027!

• Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,531 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

There were multiple nights. Is this a different night?

#9 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

Indeed.  The lack of newly released "old" live shows is a mystery to me.  We know that they recorded shows on pretty much every tour.

When they released the Time Machine tour cd, I thought it would be perfect to release a full length MP tour recording with it.  The only reason I could see at the time for not doing it was that it would draw attention to how different things were sounding back in "82... particularly Geddy's voice.  But now that they're retired, I would think it would be a relatively easy income stream for them.  (I know someone would have to do the work of going through the tapes etc...)  

They should do 40th anniversary live releases for the next 10 years.  Start with the Hemispheres tour in 2018 and run them through to maybe Power Window in 2027!

I'm just hoping they do a 40th Anniversary box for ESL and give us a full show audio and video Film from the Montreal show and maybe a compilation audio show from the 3 night Toronto stint, I'm speculating that the Toronto shows on March 23/24/25 were recorded on multi-track but at the very least, give us the full Montreal show. 

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#10 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:21 PM

There were multiple nights. Is this a different night? 

No

#11 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

I'm just hoping they do a 40th Anniversary box for ESL and give us a full show audio and video Film from the Montreal show and maybe a compilation audio show from the 3 night Toronto stint, I'm speculating that the Toronto shows on March 23/24/25 were recorded on multi-track but at the very least, give us the full Montreal show. 

I have a vague recollection that at some point, someone in Rush said something like 'those tapes are lost'. Sorry I can't recall more..

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:18 AM

I have a vague recollection that at some point, someone in Rush said something like 'those tapes are lost'. Sorry I can't recall more..

Haha. Yeah, intentionally lost. But I still love ESL as is. It's part of my youth. Show biz is all smoke and mirrors. But ya know what? They're selling fantasy and fantasy is what we want.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users