28 replies to this topic

#21 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

I think Geddy is just wrong here. Rush were never embraced by the masses/denied airplay was because their music was so (in his own words from another interview) weird.

What I remember as it applies to radio airplay here in CT was that Rush would often get some airplay when a new record was coming out or when they had a gig at either Hartford or New Haven. At all other times, radio airplay was very hit or miss. They certainly didn't get the airplay that other more mainstream popular rock bands did. Not by a long shot. At least not around here.

I thought WPLR played them kinda regularly.

#22 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

New Haven repruzunt!  lol

No, not from New Haven but can kind of tune in WPLR if I am in the car along i95.  Same with i95 (WRKI in Brookfield, CT).  Those are good stations and have been.  The NYC stations, which are the strongest in my area include Q104.3 a Bob Seeger station (Classic rock that every damn time I turn it on has a Bob Seeger song on it) and a new one Alt 92.3, the old K-Rock, which now plays a modern alternative (think more Coldplay and Lorde than Nirvana and Soundgarden).  In Norwalk we have a classic rocker in the form of 95.9 The Fox which is more in the Q-104.3 vein.  On Long Island we've got 103.3 WBAB which is kind of like PLR/i95, bigger playlist like them.  Really, the suburbs have it, in terms of rock radio in the NYC area.  Most consistent player of Rush to my ears has always been i95.  Depth-wise these stations never stray from the following:

Working Man

Fly by Night

Closer to the Heart

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Entre Nous

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Vital Signs

Subdivisons

New World Man

Distant Early Warning

The Big Money

Force Ten

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Dreamline

I'm being kind, some of those songs haven't been played since the early 2000s.

The airplay started with Permanent Waves, TSOR/Freewill primarily and it was rare.  Peak for Rush on the radio was probably the release of Signals when they were playing Perm Waves songs, MP and the new Signals stuff.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#23 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

Across the Sound from you FJ...regularly listen to WBAB (102.3), and close enough to the city limits where Q104.3 comes in clearly. Either one is good for the Rush standards and occasionally an off-road number. 104.3 seems like they are more (Tom) Petty-ville nowadays over Seger. Looks like Bob may have to die to take back his airwaves. 95.1 is a good station, but I’m on the south shore so it is spotty.

Deep Tracks channel on Sirius Satellite dusts off some nice surprises, but given the name, I guess this should be...no surprise. Here’s what they’ve played recently:

2112: Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx

A Farewell To Kings

Available Light

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Digital Man

Jacob's Ladder

Kid Gloves

Lock And Key

Losing It

Mystic Rhythms

Red Barchetta

Red Sector A

Summertime Blues

Territories

The Analog Kid

The Enemy Within

The Trees

The Weapon

Working Man

YYZ

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#24 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:32 PM

If they did, they played them more than WHCN or WCCC in Hartford ever did. Back then I remember the more mainstream rock bands getting a lot more airplay. 

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

The sewer pipe queen

Dangles my dream
Makes all that I've seen
Seem so obscene - Kings X, Skeptical Winds

#25 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

Was Rush too derivative?

Was Rush too innovative? Did Rush lack a hot frontman? Did Rush appeal primarily to males? Did Rush use a lot of odd time signatures? Was Rush's material geeky? Was Rush intelligent? 

• jeffro and timbale like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#26 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

Across the Sound from you FJ...regularly listen to WBAB (102.3), and close enough to the city limits where Q104.3 comes in clearly. Either one is good for the Rush standards and occasionally an off-road number. 104.3 seems like they are more (Tom) Petty-ville nowadays over Seger. Looks like Bob may have to die to take back his airwaves. 95.1 is a good station, but I’m on the south shore so it is spotty.

Deep Tracks channel on Sirius Satellite dusts off some nice surprises, but given the name, I guess this should be...no surprise. Here’s what they’ve played recently:

2112: Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx

A Farewell To Kings

Available Light

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Digital Man

Jacob's Ladder

Kid Gloves

Lock And Key

Losing It

Mystic Rhythms

Red Barchetta

Red Sector A

Summertime Blues

Territories

The Analog Kid

The Enemy Within

The Trees

The Weapon

Working Man

YYZ

The main problem I have with Satellite radio is that the genres are too tightly boxed in.  I preferred it during the XM days.  The people who started Sirius were the people who ruined regular radio.  The people who started XM wanted to create an alternative.  The best channels are the ones that came from the XM side, though they have been ruined too.  Deep Tracks is about the only one to remain unaffected.

#27 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

If they did, they played them more than WHCN or WCCC in Hartford ever did. Back then I remember the more mainstream rock bands getting a lot more airplay.

WCCC was killer. I preferred their playlists - a little more up to date than the classic rock format of PLR.

#28 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

Was Rush too innovative? Did Rush lack a hot frontman? Did Rush appeal primarily to males? Did Rush use a lot of odd time signatures? Was Rush's material geeky? Was Rush intelligent? 

By jove, I think he's got it!

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

The sewer pipe queen

Dangles my dream
Makes all that I've seen
Seem so obscene - Kings X, Skeptical Winds

#29 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

WCCC was killer. I preferred their playlists - a little more up to date than the classic rock format of PLR.

I heard their wacky morning man was quite good. May have been a while back though. Dunno what became of him

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users