#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

Today.

I feel like a giant weight has been lifted off of my head.

I was feeling this constant low buzz of anxiety. Could be all the coffee I drink, but I blame FB anyway.

Anyone else do this? Did you get sucked back in eventually?

My feeling is that social media contributes to a host of societal problems, on many levels. We don’t hear about it too much because so much business and human interaction in general depends on SM.

I love to read and post missives online, so this was a significant step for me.

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,531 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

I would say I limit my Facebook use to mostly exchanging pleasantries.  You'll never see me post a status that invites debate, political or otherwise.  Sometimes I get sucked into posting comments on other people's posts, usually only to point out a factual error, not debate, but then it always turns into a debate.  Facebook is a "world's collide" issue, like on Seinfeld, when your girlfriend, your co-worker, your friend and a relative and you are all together in the same place.  Some things are best separate.  That's why Facebook raises people's blood pressure the most.

I prefer to debate things here, not because it's anonymous.  Most of you are friends on Facebook with me anyway.  I just choose to do it here where we are kind of on neutral turf versus shitting on your profile or mine in front of friends, co-workers and family.  I've "quit" Facebook, but just in a more stealthy way.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:36 PM

I got to the point where I felt it was hurting me more than helping me.

I deactivated my account. Figure I can interact on Instagram and Twitter, which for me, don’t have that much of a pull.

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

For me, Facebook is for saying happy birthday.

• RushDoggie likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#5 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

Like everything else…moderation is key. I use it for keeping up with goings on of friends and family, goofy posts and the occasional picture. Although I did look back at one of FB’s year in review things that it sent to me and realized that 90% of the photos of me were with a beer in my hand, usually at a sporting event. Might have a problem there.

Takeaway…drink more, post less!

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#6 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:01 AM

Chem73,

Yes, I did the exact same thing a number of years ago. Never regretted leaving. Don't miss it at all.

Those who know what's best for us...

#7 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:20 AM

I like FB and am checking in on it several times a day.  I coordinate activities with my friends and my gf.  I find out about events that I want to go to on FB.  That includes bands I want to see, things I want to do and it's good for helping organize things among my circle of trust.

Like Joe, rarely do I post anything of political or religious consequence.  And if I do, I note that I don't care to get into a debate about it, I'm just speaking my mind.  Works fine every time - no protracted debate that goes nowhere and I have gotten what I wanted to say off my chest.  

FB is almost entirely unsuited for debate and also like Joe, I reserve the bulk of that for here.  FB is a great resource for the things I use it and I don't take it seriously for much of anything else.  I also don't check in every time I have a burrito or pick up the dry cleaning, but I do check in at concerts, races and other fun things that my friends would like.  It's a net positive for me because I don't take it too seriously.  

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:11 AM

It’s just that places like this have compartments for different things. Facebook people have a sense of ownership for one’s profile feed and rightly so.

I’ve even squabbled over people posting crap in my feed.

#9 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:23 AM

I think it gets too convoluted with your friends and business contacts. I’ve gotten a few jobs through there, but LinkedIn is much better at organizing the professional side of things.

I’ve also found that many friendships don’t leave the digital stage - you never see them in person! I only have so much real world time to see people I really like, so why am I trying so earnestly to connect with over 1000 friends. It would make sense if I had like 100 friends and that communication with them was a tad more intimate.

The fuck I need 1000 for?

And the constant trump-rage from right and left has gotten to be way too much. I get caught up in it too. I’d rather do battle here.

#10 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:55 AM

There is a thing called Social Fixer that you can use to filter out keywords to your liking.  Cuts out the political shit, or the religious shit, or whatever shit you want to cut out.   You can completely customize the interface...it's pretty great.

Linkage...

• chemistry1973 and RushDoggie like this

#11 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:06 AM

My wife and I have never signed up.  We TALK to people.  I guess we'll have to sign up when our son starts interacting just to keep an eye on him...

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#12 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

I talk to people too.  It's just easy to coordinate things in the place where most people are.  It doesn't replace anything in my life, it adds to it.

• RushDoggie likes this

#13 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

I'm not going to read this facebook, I'll wait until the movie is out

#14 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

The one thing about reading Facebook that may help with triggering is the unfollow function.  Don't unfriend someone, unfollow them.  It makes their posts not appear in your feed.  When you're interested in raging, you can go to their profile and just read it.  You're still friends, just less annoyed by them.  It's also good if you have a lot of friends and are only interested in seeing every bit from some of them rather than all of them.

#15 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, I've got a couple hundred friends on FB, but I've unfollowed most of them.  The few I keep are family, close friends, and those who post things that tend to interest me.  I rarely post a status or comment on anything.   I don't even share my birthday.  

#16 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Not a big FB user here. Main use for it is furing vacation, i like to write up a fun review of our day and some pix. Otherwise Im not on it much. MY s/o on the other hand is on it all the time. A fair amount is for the food pantry she co-runs and to a lesser extent for the school board she is on, but most is probably sifting thru posts. She may have an addiction and  sometimes its bothersome.  But I totally agree I'm much happier not on it. Last year I was using it a lot, def was causing anxiety and anger from arguing. Finally I decided it wasn't a healthy way for me to spend my time, and i dont miss FB at all.

#17 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

I talk to people too.  It's just easy to coordinate things in the place where most people are.  It doesn't replace anything in my life, it adds to it.

Its also great for keeping up with people who are hard to see because they live far away, I get to see pics of their kids doing stuff, their cute dogs competing in stuff, etc. I have also met 2 IRL friends who I met on FB because we had a mutual friend, then we met in person and started to hang out and now we hang out a lot.

I'm trying to relate to FB being a weight to be lifted, and I guess its just too fluffy for me to think of that way.

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

I look at Facebook the way I look at parties: Don't talk about religion or politics. 

• fenderjazz, chemistry1973 and pjbear05 like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#19 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

Its also great for keeping up with people who are hard to see because they live far away, I get to see pics of their kids doing stuff, their cute dogs competing in stuff, etc. I have also met 2 IRL friends who I met on FB because we had a mutual friend, then we met in person and started to hang out and now we hang out a lot.

I'm trying to relate to FB being a weight to be lifted, and I guess its just too fluffy for me to think of that way.

I think it's all in what you expect from it.  I too use it more like you do.  I think most of us started out in a place like this.  There are many who are using FB as a place to replace a place like this.  I think organized (mostly), threaded conversation has a place, but what people will reveal of themselves is limited to whom else is there and watching.  When people say they are on FB and no longer in a place like this and seek it as a replacement, I think those are the people who get the most in trouble with it.  We can talk in a room (here)  vs shouting it out the window (twitter) or we can talk in a large auditorium filled with all the people we know from all walks and stages of life (FB or Linkedin).  Each solution has it's purpose and I think it's the people who misuse those purposes are the ones who have the most problems enjoying it (or having to deal with people like that).

• Three Eyes likes this

#20 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Day 2 and I already feel like I’m getting more done.

I think I’ve been more reliant on it than you peeps. I got two young kids, and a wife, and a House - in many ways this was the only way I could communicate with friends. But lately it feels like those relationships are left still wanting - not very real.

I believe I was checking FB over a dozen times a day. Add to the privacy concerns, the woefully misled and undereducated class of political digital “activists” and just overall time sucks of different cat memes- shit I’ve got a job and responsibilities!

It’s too much.
  • fenderjazz and Oak like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users