Neil was great from 1979 to 1990.

#22 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

I liked Neil when he played drums with croquet mallets.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#23 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

I liked Neil when he played drums.

Fixed  :(

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#24 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:00 PM

I'll stick with the guy that played drums on PeW and 2112 and VT, thanks. He is not the same guy that is on T4E.

Not that I listen to any Rush anymore.

Hm well the guy that plays on T4E seems a lot more capable, I must say.

#25 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

Not very good.

Shame YouTube has taken that one down. I was at a gig on that tour a few days earlier.

#26 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

^^^ Still plays for me.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

Not very good.

Sounds like he was trying to be Keith Moon there. There's only one Keith Moon. Either that or he's whacked out of his mind on drugs. Also, the drum mix doesn't seem quite right. But Geddy and Al are killin' it. Vocal-wise, this is #peakgeddy.

#28 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:02 AM

Peart is all over the place. He was working on some shit during this era.

#29 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

Sounds like he was trying to be Keith Moon there. There's only one Keith Moon. Either that or he's whacked out of his mind on drugs. Also, the drum mix doesn't seem quite right. But Geddy and Al are killin' it. Vocal-wise, this is #peakgeddy.

He sounds odd. Wasn't this the concert that he claimed he had a cold and his voice sounded weird (well, weirder than normal ;) )

Rush02.JPG

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

He sounds odd. Wasn't this the concert that he claimed he had a cold and his voice sounded weird (well, weirder than normal ;) )

Maybe he's not as strong because of the cold but I just generally like Geddy's voice from this period.

The Hammersmith Closer to the Heart is also a bit unsteady it seems. Probably why it didn't make it onto Different Stages like Lakeside.

#31 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

I liked Geddy's voice when he could still belt out the old songs the way they were meant to be sung and not have to alter them. :(

Rush02.JPG

#32 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

I'm in the camp that T4E was his most interesting drumming in a long time. I remember when it came out it reminded me of Fly By Night in some ways, not in terms of technical skill level but in terms of sounding fresh, which makes a lot of sense considering FBN was of course he was new and T4E was his big new approach. If this "neutered" what he'd been up to, it was because he was very good at a lot of very precise but rather unsubtle bashing - brilliant in its own right but really not terribly respectable vs much better drummers.

IMO what really neutered Neil and everyone else was having Fanboi produce their last works....

#33 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

Not very good.

That sounds great! Dunno what your ears are hearing.  Only "near trainwreck" seems to be at the very end and even then, that's a stretch.  I don't have any issue with his playing here.  It's live.  Play the shit out of it!  :D

Edit:  Just listened to CTTH above.  Y'all are some nit-picky motherfuckers.   :shrug:  :lol:

#34 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:09 AM

That sounds great! Dunno what your ears are hearing.  Only "near trainwreck" seems to be at the very end and even then, that's a stretch.  I don't have any issue with his playing here.  It's live.  Play the shit out of it!  :D

Edit:  Just listened to CTTH above.  Y'all are some nit-picky motherfuckers.   :shrug:  :lol:

Yeah, weren't they in their mid 20s in '78? Maybe cut them a break for the odd shaky performance. lol.

#35 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:19 AM

Hm well the guy that plays on T4E seems a lot more capable, I must say.

Ah just like the old days. Let's argue about subjective tastes in music. Not.

I do still love you, James. You're a top bloke.

#36 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, weren't they in their mid 20s in '78? Maybe cut them a break for the odd shaky performance. lol.

Of course I love these released recordings - but compare them circa 95 and they are so much better. AFTK era Peart is just interesting and a bit weird - he’s restrained, like he is through the verses of CTTH, and then spastic, like he is in that above live version of Lakeside.

#37 bill1971

bill1971

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:26 PM

I'll stick with the guy that played drums on PeW and 2112 and VT, thanks. He is not the same guy that is on T4E.

Not that I listen to any Rush anymore.

Sorry for my long hiatus from this forum, I spent the last year and half or so on forums of bands that I no longer listen too. Anyhow, just passing through, nice to see some familiar faces, Slim, Fenderjazz, etc...

#38 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,143 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

Nice to see you around bill

#39 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,143 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

Ah just like the old days. Let's argue about subjective tastes in music. Not.

I do still love you, James. You're a top bloke.

Hey the people around here at least do it well.  You ever join some of those Facebook groups and read some of the mindless fanboi drivel other fans post?  Our Brittrollstm would have a field day over there!

#40 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hey the people around here at least do it well.  You ever join some of those Facebook groups and read some of the mindless fanboi drivel other fans post?  Our Brittrollstm would have a field day over there!

Ha, a friend of mine and I got invited to one a couple of years ago and were kicked off within a week for busting on Dog Years!   :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users