#1 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

It's been quite a while since I used a completely passive bass. I probably would've kept plugging away with basses loaded with active EMG's for a good while longer if I hadn't happened to play my brother's Geddy Jazz when I sat in to do "Subdivisions" with his band at his wedding reception a couple of weeks ago. Despite going through the song with a harried WTF look on my face (because I had almost no level coming out of my mic, either in monitors or mains - apparently something went awry with the mic at the keyboard stand position), I did have room in my brain to think that his Jazz felt and sounded really good.

Came home and decided I needed to try a Jazz again. After scouring classifieds, I ended up going with a Lakland JO4. Got it and tried re-tracking some bass on the newest piece I'm working on now and damn. The action is really low so it gets a fair bit of that Geddy-esque aggression from fret clank without even putting any overdrive on it. Just the plain, un-doctored sound of a Jazz played with a little fervor and it muscles right through, as well as having that just-right bottom end that fattens the mix but isn't overbearing that seemed a challenge to dial in on my active basses. It's just easy to record and has a lot of personality - it may be a very familiar/traditional personality, but it really does just work.

I guess I'll finish out the rest of what I record for this album with this bass. Dammit...trying not to be another me-too guy playing a f***ing Jazz just went out the window, but maybe this is one time to just not fight it and use what works.

Attached File  Lakland_JO4.jpg   106.22K   0 downloads

• Moving Target likes this

#2 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:17 AM

I will never buy another active bass. You leave the battery in too long and it corrodes the electrics. The wires get pulled and you have to fix the soldering. The battery goes during a gig. Passive all the way now.

#3 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:20 AM

Where do you set the pots Dave? My Spirit by Steinberger (really an Epiphone) has Jazz style pots. I roll the front one nearly off, back one on full, tone all the way off and it sounds quite like the Jaco tone. Mrs MT says it sounds better than my Music Man!

#4 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

That's pretty much what I did for years...favoring the bridge pickup on basses (usually active basses with humbuckers but in the past I would do the same thing even with a Jazz) and going for that more nasal Jaco-esque tone that has a strong presence around 1kHz. On the Lakland jazz, I'm running the same settings as Ged - both pickups on full, tone pot full on. It's a good sound. Gives me the bite plus the bottom end. I'm not even using my Sansamp at the moment. I may experiment with that at some point, but I feel like the recorded sound already has plenty of attitude without it.

• Moving Target likes this

#5 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

Got any recordings of it?

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

*tsk tsk* Always has to do with pot with you musicians.

• DaveG likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#7 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:03 AM

I have an active Fender Jazz Deluxe. I think it has more subtlety in its controls but I have it more for the neck than tone. I prefer to use my amp for tone. I leave the controls flat. I adjust my playing for volume. I’m kind of ambivalent about active basses. Most of my others have been passive.

#8 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:32 PM

Got any recordings of it?

Sure, here's a short snippet from something I just started working on (this is all I've used it on so far). The tone is nothing you haven't heard before, of course, it's just a fairly typical aggressive Jazz Bass sound. But I have to concede, it does work. You plug this in and lay down a line and it just sounds more like what you expect from a rock mix.

https://www.dropbox....o_clip.wav?dl=0

#9 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:25 AM

^^^
That was all bridge pickup right?

Serves the song well

#10 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:56 AM

That's actually both pickups on full, FJ, plucking closer to the neck pickup than the bridge pup. This bass has the Lakland/Hanson pickups - I've seen some guys say they find them too aggressive and prefer the slightly more vintagey-sounding Fralins previously used on this model, but I think these are just what I need.

Now that I've realized that the basses I've been using since starting this conceptual rock project were maybe not the best choice for the material, of course, the thought enters my mind that maybe I'll want to re-track the bass on some of what I've already done. Bit of a pain, but I don't want it to bug me for years after the fact that I was writing material which would have been better suited to a bass sound more akin to Counterparts but the production sound had a bottom end more reminiscent of Presto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users