64 replies to this topic

#61 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Single chain rings are only useful if you need a limited range or more bb clearance. I have one on my commuter bike because the way to work is flat and I don't need more than three gears. I could use one on my mtb but 3x10 has a wider range and my skills are the limiting factor not my components.

You will save some weight but lose versatility. And you need to buy more expensive cassetttes.

If you don't cycle for a living you don't need the latest gear.

#62 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Didn’t ride today. Too cold. My lungs close up and I start wheezing.

#63 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Reading cycling magazines, they're saying single chain rings are the next big thing. It means using a cassette with a range of something like 9-44, some big leaps between gears there1

Interesting - won’t the chain be at an angle when you are in bottom gear, increasing the likelihood of chain failure? My proper cyclist mates tell me not to use the lowest gear at the back when I in the big ring, particularly uphill.

#64 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

You will have less angle on a single because the chain ring is aligned to the middle of the casette. And chains are now narrower and more flexible.

#65 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

A year or two ago after fiddling with the front disraeli on my Boardman for the fourth or fifth time I was giving serious thought to having it converted to a single chainring. A couple of the Boardman hybrid bikes have that arrangement. I like the simplicity of it. If for nothing else, you wouldn't have to give any thought before changing gear.

There's a write up on the Halfords site here : https://halfordsblog...1x-drivetrains/

On a related note: My Boardman has gear indicators on the shifters, which I find really useful. My other two roadies don't have them, so I have to look down at the cassette and the chainring if I need to make sure I'm about to choose an appropriate combination. No such hassle with a 1x drivetrain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users