71 replies to this topic

#61 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Single chain rings are only useful if you need a limited range or more bb clearance. I have one on my commuter bike because the way to work is flat and I don't need more than three gears. I could use one on my mtb but 3x10 has a wider range and my skills are the limiting factor not my components.

You will save some weight but lose versatility. And you need to buy more expensive cassetttes.

If you don't cycle for a living you don't need the latest gear.

#62 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Didn’t ride today. Too cold. My lungs close up and I start wheezing.

#63 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Reading cycling magazines, they're saying single chain rings are the next big thing. It means using a cassette with a range of something like 9-44, some big leaps between gears there1

Interesting - won’t the chain be at an angle when you are in bottom gear, increasing the likelihood of chain failure? My proper cyclist mates tell me not to use the lowest gear at the back when I in the big ring, particularly uphill.

#64 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

You will have less angle on a single because the chain ring is aligned to the middle of the casette. And chains are now narrower and more flexible.

#65 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

A year or two ago after fiddling with the front disraeli on my Boardman for the fourth or fifth time I was giving serious thought to having it converted to a single chainring. A couple of the Boardman hybrid bikes have that arrangement. I like the simplicity of it. If for nothing else, you wouldn't have to give any thought before changing gear.

There's a write up on the Halfords site here : https://halfordsblog...1x-drivetrains/

On a related note: My Boardman has gear indicators on the shifters, which I find really useful. My other two roadies don't have them, so I have to look down at the cassette and the chainring if I need to make sure I'm about to choose an appropriate combination. No such hassle with a 1x drivetrain.

#66 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

Today's run out through Twycross takes me to 5004 miles done this year. Happy with that, although I did 5776 last year.

#67 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:26 AM

Today's run out through Twycross takes me to 5004 miles done this year. Happy with that, although I did 5776 last year.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#68 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

Hm. Well actually at the beginning of 2017 I resolved not to go chasing after miles, because the previous year this had prompted me to undertake a large number of lunch break rides, mostly around the same route which I didn't particularly enjoy and which ultimately were a waste of time and bike consumables (tyre rubber, lubricant, chain and cassette life etc etc).

It was only in the last few weeks that I decided to go chasing after the 5k mark as a bit of a challenge to myself which I did quite enjoy. But despite the lower mile tally I'm happier with my modest cycling achievements in 2017 than those of 2016.

Most notably I did five rides of 100+ mile distance in 2017, compared to only one in 2016.

I must admit that counting the miles does help maintain my interest but there's a balance to be drawn. Have to keep it fun.

#69 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:32 AM

Well, it's 2018. Happy New Year. And here's a summary of my 2017 cycling year:

cyc2017.png

Miles done          : 5004.38
Number of rides     :  156
Average distance    :   32.08
Median distance     :   24.86
Longest ride        :  179.30
No. of 100m+ rides  :    5

I believe the median figure is a good approximation of "most typical ride distance", but welcome corrections from those with a more assured grasp of statistics. Certainly though it looks about right, on that basis.

Figures for 2016, by comparison:

Miles done          : 5775.61
Number of rides     :  303
Average distance    :   19.06
Median distance     :   14.77
Longest ride        :  101.42
No. of 100m+ rides  :    1

So this year I did roughly half the number of rides I did last year, but typically did much longer distances.

I believe I'd done all the neighbouring counties and back by the end of 2016, but this year added a few others: Shropshire, Cheshire, Cambridgeshire, Worcestershire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Norfolk. And Wales. Will aim to add to that list in 2018.

I'd quite like to do the Wales trip again, perhaps as a preparation for a 200 mile ride. Here's to the longer days. As I type it's 4:18pm, and there's still a bit of daylight out there. Sunset is already 9 minutes later than it was at the earliest point, Dec 13th.

#70 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:41 AM

^^^ Is it legal where you are to wear ear buds while riding bike? We can in California but we have to leave one ear open. Makes for a crap music listening experience but it's acceptable for podcasts.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#71 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

I'm not sure if it is legal, but I always listen to a DAB radio while I'm on the bike. I do use earbuds that don't block out the sound of other vehicles. The ones that push right in can tend to do that. The other disadvantage of the ones that plunge right into your ears with rubber hoods is that, perhaps counter-intuitively, they are more susceptible to wind noise. They tend to stick out a little more and (presumably) because they fit tighter, they transfer the vibration from the wind rush right into your ears.

I mostly listen to BBC 5 Live, which is a sport-biased news / talk station. I especially like a football commentary while I'm on a ride. But I do listen to music stations sometimes. If / when the DAB batteries run out I use a radio app on my phone. I always take a phone. Smartphones are a cyclist's best friend.

One of my 2017 resolutions was to listen to the entire recorded Rush studio canon while out on my bike and I did that, sometimes with clenched teeth. I'd completed that by March, I think. I have a very small / light MP3 player that also doubles as an FM radio. Handy for long rides to save the DAB batteries a bit.

Some consider that it's not proper "roadcraft" to listen while cycling, but it's all part of the experience for me. I can't really do without the in-flight entertainment.

You can get cycling / running "bone conduction" headsets that work by conducting the audio through your cheekbones, leaving access to your ears unhindered from other sources. How well they work I can't imagine but my regular inexpensive Sennheisers seem to work fine for me.

#72 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:57 PM

I ended up doing about 4,600 miles for the year, which was about 50 more than last year. Not too bad seeing as I missed seven weeks in June and July - peak cycling season - I also managed more climbing mile for mile, but saw a decrease in average speed for the year, a consequence of doing more climbing and having to try and get back to some form of fitness again.

Longest ride was 77.6 miles.

Average and median distances were both around 34 miles.

2018 campaign got underway today with 30.5 miles in a cold blustery wind with frequent showers of giant cold raindrops. Nice.

The only thing I listen to on the road is general road noise, the creaks and clanks of the bike and the bizarre internal dialogue going on in my head.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users