64 replies to this topic

#41 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

Doing Yorkshire and back tomorrow, to add another county to the list of those I've cycled to (and back) from Slim Towers. The weather forecast looks decent and the daylight hours are shrinking fast, so I've called a "snap" annual leave day. Should be back before sunset I think but I'll take lightweight lights anyway (LED blinkers that take CR2032s) unless I set off late in which case I'll take a decent torch.

52.5 miles there, same way back probably.

• Moving Target likes this

#42 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

Well done MT :)

You're not wrong on hills being hard though. I did one yesterday it only averaged 4% over three and a bit miles, but it completely sapped my legs and that was doing it two and a half minutes slower than my previous worst. I had planned on going on to do a climb which gets used for hill climb races. I didn't bother. Seven weeks out at the height of Summer was the worst time to be away from cycling.
It's all downhill now - unfortunately not literally - until next April now.
Even when you get fitter it doesn't get easier, you just get faster.

Ta. There was a really nasty short climb. I had to stop halfway up. But I pedalled it all. Some people walked it.

Two years ago I could have done it easier, but I.ve gone from 89 kg to 98. That matters on hills.

Jeez what is wrong with me, there's a 100 klick sportive round Land's End and St Ives in three weeks.....

#43 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

Got up at about 6, leisurely breakfast and was en route to Yorkshire at 07:39. The roads were still a bit wet from the previous night's downpour when I set off. Got a few grimy splashmarks on the frame, I'll have to give it a wipe down tomorrow. It was cold but I wrapped up warm and wasn't uncomfortable. Took a couple of layers off later on and stuffed them in my backpack.

The first ten miles of the route I took to South Yorkshire is my old ride to our office in Donington. That's mostly pleasant enough, but the next 20 miles, and indeed most of the remaining ten, were a bit joyless. I quite enjoyed a stretch north of Mansfield and some of the B683 north of Nottingham but mostly it was busy A roads.

Missed a turn at Beeston, but got back on track by cutting through a housing estate, with the help of Google Maps of course. Was slightly disconcerted that one of the roads I took had a Dead End sign at its entrance, but while it did have concrete pillars at the end designed to prevent cars passing through to the main road, it was easy to navigate through on a bike.

Seemed odd to be entering Derbyshire after 43 miles, when I can do that only 6 or 7 miles from home on another route.

Anyway, stopped at a petrol station near Worksop to take on fuel, then took a left up a dual carriageway section of the A57, only two miles from my destination. Unfortunately this was undergoing resurfacing and had a temporary road surface about 100 metres in. This was incredibly lumpy and bone-shaking and after about 30 metres of it I decided that I was simply not having it. I stopped on the grass verge, plotted a detour then wheeled the bike over to the central reservation, lifted it over the crash barrier, climbed over it myself and joined the traffic coming the other way.

Unfortunately the detour I planned involved a section of road that was more or less a stony footpath round the back of a rugby club, but that bit was short. A few minutes later I was at my destination at the base of South Yorkshire, just north of Worksop.

rotherham.jpg

I chose a more sensible if slightly longer detour to avoid the lumpy road on the way back. Stopped at a bench in Worksop for lunch. I decided to come home a different way involving taking a right along the A611 south of Mansfield. I knew that this would involve a fair bit more climbing, but quite fancied a sentimental visit to Derby. In particular this route featured a stretch between Heanor and Oakwood (in Derby), that I did a couple of times in the early noughties when I lived in Oakwood.

I'd planned to avoid Raynesway in Derby which is an insanely fast multi-lane dual carriageway by giving it a wide berth via Ockbrook and Elvaston. But by the time I got there I decided I'd had as much cycling as I needed for one day, so I decided I'd just take my life in my hands rather than bother with the long way round. Fortunately though I didn't need to as I discovered that it has a fairly well-maintained cycle path. I almost never use them as they tend to be scattered with stones, bits of broken glass and the lower classes walking dogs, but this one was pretty good.

From there I whizzed through Shardlow, hung a right to Donington and came the usual way home from the office.

Nice weather for cycling after it warmed up a bit from 11AM or so, sunny, not too warm and not much wind. I was back just on sunset.

Was rather pleased that the alkaline batteries in my DAB lasted all day. Usually I take the extreme capacity lithium ones on a long ride.

I have to admit I didn't enjoy that one a lot. I'd have had more fun if I'd got up a couple of hours later and done a 60-odd miler to Belvoir Castle or Rutland and back, along scenic and quiet lanes through sprawling fields puncuated by idyllic villages in the autumn sunshine instead of pushing along mile after mile of charmless busy roads. But I'm very satisfied to have ticked the Yorkshire box and bagged another county.

https://www.strava.c...ties/1191834655

114.6 miles, which boosts the September tally to 306.

• MrSkeptic and Moving Target like this

#44 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

My lights charge up via USB. I rather like them. I can see the front one reflecting off street signs 20 metres away in daylight. The back one is about the size of a stamp.

I have to get a better saddle or maybe gel oversaddle to cope with severe arse pain! If I do that I reckon I can start going further.

Just clicked over 30,000 feet climbedd this year, which is about three times more than any other year so far. In Surrey I was climbing 500 feet ever 40 miles or so, here it's 1500 feet every 20 miles.

Maybe I will have a little adventure - jump on a branch line one morning and ride round the lanes on the Lizard peninsula. Very green down there, unlike much of Cornwall, no A-roads.

#45 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

I have a USB rear light that I bought from Tesco for a few quid that actually hurts to look at when it's switched on. Very intense brightness. Very small, very light. I have loads of cycle lights actually, I often buy them on a whim for a bit of inexpensive retail therapy.

One thing that annoys me about modern cycle lights is the number of "modes" - typically you have at least: steady light, slow flashing, fast flashing, off. The USB rear light I have actually has a couple of different brightness intensities as well. Just on, flashing, off would be fine and would save a few button presses to switch them off. Actually just flashing and off would be fine, don't see why you need a constant light when you have flashing anyway, at least for a rear light.

My favourite front light is an LED torch that has a flashing mode. Again, extremely bright. The nice thing about that one is that it takes either a rechargeable lithium battery or 3xAAA. I prefer to take non-rechargeables on a long trip as they're likely to last longer.

#46 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

The next long trip I have planned is Lancashire and back - about 150 miles. But it will have to wait a few months I think, for pleasant weather and lots of daylight.

I've now done over 12,000 miles since that first cycling thread started at the beginning of 2015.

#47 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

I compiled a graph of my average distances, over these last 33 months. Seems odd now to think that I would often take the bike out for no more 7 or 8 miles in the first couple of months of 2015.

The data does show how my cycling lifestyle has changed since then. Of course the figures are skewed a bit by some of the longer rides - perhaps the median, rather than the average, would have given a better picture of typical distances. Also there are seasonal variations from months with holidays available for longer trips.

monthly0ct1_2017.png

#48 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:53 PM

Today's 18 mile run out on two wheels takes me to 4002 miles done this year. This time last year though, I'd done 4876.

#49 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Just a little ten-miler today, the first ride I did since the sportive five weeks ago. Wanted to go further but it started hailing.

#50 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

Did a 77 mile Sportive today, in the badlands of Nottinghamshire, with only a brief venture into the jolly old greenwood of Sherwood Forest. Luckily all the rain and hail which was hammering against the toilet window when I had my pre-departure dump cleared away to leave a bright sunny day marred only by a keening West wind which froze the fingers whenever you rode into it.

I enjoyed the flapjack at the feedstations along with the "Free" PowerBar products. I barely needed to use any of the oat bars and gels in my back pockets :)

Got me over 4,000 miles for the year, if I'd not had seven weeks out in the summer I'd have been over 5,000. Might have to take some time out with saddle sores now...

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#51 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:40 AM

Interesting how you fellas are riding 4000 miles a year while I’m doing about 500. Cycling isn’t fun to me.

#52 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

^^^ Get a new hobby. Hey, I know! Take up the bass!

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#53 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:38 PM

Interesting how you fellas are riding 4000 miles a year while I’m doing about 500. Cycling isn’t fun to me.

It's fun when it stops :)

It gets me out of the house, I'm probably fitter than I'v ever been, there's all sorts of interesting kit to buy and it stops me taking up the bass...

#54 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

Rule #5, bitches

#55 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

It's fun when it stops :)

It gets me out of the house, I'm probably fitter than I'v ever been, there's all sorts of interesting kit to buy and it stops me taking up the bass...

I was talking about this kind of bass.

bass-ale-bottle-500x500.jpg

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#56 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

That's how you could do it

#57 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

#58 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:20 PM

Rule #5, bitches

Down with those Rules and ride by these instead

• Valium likes this

#59 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

A little sixteen-miler again.  Funny how you take a month off and your fitness ups and runs away..... wonder if I can get to the Celtic Sea tomorrow.  Only 22 miles there and back.

Dammit, I need a triple.

#60 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:43 PM

I find my fitness is wandering off into the distance after a week away from the bike!

I needed a double when I got home yesterday, I punctured after hitting what  felt like a brick in the evening gloom. Luckily it was just a mile from home.

Reading cycling magazines, they're saying single chain rings are the next big thing. It means using a cassette with a range of something like 9-44, some big leaps between gears there1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users