64 replies to this topic

#21 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:48 PM

Dammit, just harden the fuck up and do it.

That's the Spirit!

Although I'm not going to do the 100 mile Cycle Derby North Derbyshire sportive, which goes from Derby up to Edale and back via Beeley Moor which is used for Hill climbing races...

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

Rob, you don't seem to post at TNMS any more so I thought I'd come over here and share a few thoughts, since that thread you started here at the beginning of 2015 was what started my current cycling habit and turned out to be life-changing.

The distance thing. From my own experience, a lot of it is psychological. A couple of years ago I was actually wondering whether I'd be able to do the 34 miles to Derby and back without wearing myself out. I actually planned it carefully, working out where I'd be able to rest on the way back and so on. Then I did it and it was easy, and not long after that I started thinking of doing longer routes. I decided to do a 60-odd mile ride to Rutland and back, anally selecting the best route, waiting for the optimal weather. I did that and it really felt like an adventure, an achievement. I did a few more rides of similar distances, 60-70 miles - Lincolnshire and back, Northamptonshire and back. I started doing longer spontaneous unplanned rides, 40-odd miles after work or at the weekend not being unusual. Yesterday I went out and did a 65-miler on an impulse, but whereas once I'd have planned that in advance like a big adventure, I just thought of it as being 90 minutes or so longer than a regular 40-miler and no big deal.

As Nick mentioned earlier in the thread, ten days ago I did a 179 mile ride to Norfolk and back. I only had the idea the night before, but I did plan the route and prepare carefully. After the first 55 miles or so I sat down at a bench in some village in Lincolnshire and posted an update to Facebook - "55 done, about 120 to go!" and reading what I'd typed seemed surreal. But I'd done a ride to Wales and back earlier in the year that was 142 miles in total and I had plenty of time, so I knew I could do it and wasn't that daunted. I just got on with it and enjoyed the ride (I will admit I didn't enjoy the last 15 or so, pedalling in the dark and starting to feel exhausted. But it was very satisfying to close the garage door having done a 179 mile ride).

#23 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

Got up to 65.8 miles on a ride yesterday, with over 3,500 ft of climbing. The legs are feeling a bit better, but the old cardio-vascular system is still a bit lacking.

Turns out that that's the 10th longest ride I've done. Unless I've signed up for a Sportive I can only get allowed out by the missus for four hours, so 75 miles on a flat route would be my limit for a ride.

#24 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

Nice idea, I must compile a list of the longest rides I've done although my spreadsheets would only give me the date and distance (and bike) so I'd have to correlate them with old posts here and on TNMS. Or maybe I could use Strava though I don't find it easy to search your history there.

#25 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

Nice idea, I must compile a list of the longest rides I've done although my spreadsheets would only give me the date and distance (and bike) so I'd have to correlate them with old posts here and on TNMS. Or maybe I could use Strava though I don't find it easy to search your history there.

On Strava, under the Training menu you can view your activities and sort by distance, time or elevation.

Saturday's ride was my 17th most climbingest ride :)

#26 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Nice, though I think I may have done a couple of long ones in my pre-Strava period. Will have a look anyway.

#27 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

Very useful Nick, thanks! Pretty sure these are the actual top ten, in terms of distance:

strava_top_ten.png

That fourth one was actually the hardest, because the sun and heat were punishing. I'd expected the weather to stay intermittently cloudy on the way back, but it didn't. Got a bit of sunburn on my arms, as well.

I wrote about the Wales ride here: http://www.jamesgibb...wales-and-back/

Strava tells me I've now done 17 rides of a distance of more than 60 miles. Surprising. It really is an excellent tool, even with a free account.

#28 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Did you see Jasmijn muller on her lejog record attempt ?

https://www.lejogrec...co.uk/follow-me

#29 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

145 miles in 7 hours 23 minutes as I type, impressive. Long way to go, though.

#30 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

She's done 270 miles now, that's brilliant.

#31 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Rob, you don't seem to post at TNMS any more so I thought I'd come over here and share a few thoughts, since that thread you started here at the beginning of 2015 was what started my current cycling habit and turned out to be life-changing.

The distance thing. From my own experience, a lot of it is psychological. A couple of years ago I was actually wondering whether I'd be able to do the 34 miles to Derby and back without wearing myself out. I actually planned it carefully, working out where I'd be able to rest on the way back and so on. Then I did it and it was easy, and not long after that I started thinking of doing longer routes. I decided to do a 60-odd mile ride to Rutland and back, anally selecting the best route, waiting for the optimal weather. I did that and it really felt like an adventure, an achievement. I did a few more rides of similar distances, 60-70 miles - Lincolnshire and back, Northamptonshire and back. I started doing longer spontaneous unplanned rides, 40-odd miles after work or at the weekend not being unusual. Yesterday I went out and did a 65-miler on an impulse, but whereas once I'd have planned that in advance like a big adventure, I just thought of it as being 90 minutes or so longer than a regular 40-miler and no big deal.

As Nick mentioned earlier in the thread, ten days ago I did a 179 mile ride to Norfolk and back. I only had the idea the night before, but I did plan the route and prepare carefully. After the first 55 miles or so I sat down at a bench in some village in Lincolnshire and posted an update to Facebook - "55 done, about 120 to go!" and reading what I'd typed seemed surreal. But I'd done a ride to Wales and back earlier in the year that was 142 miles in total and I had plenty of time, so I knew I could do it and wasn't that daunted. I just got on with it and enjoyed the ride (I will admit I didn't enjoy the last 15 or so, pedalling in the dark and starting to feel exhausted. But it was very satisfying to close the garage door having done a 179 mile ride).

Hello James,

I don't post in TNNS any more. I find it mean-spirited.

It's nice to think that my thread catalysed your life-changing experience.

Distance is not just psychological for me as even 35 miles / 1800 feet climbed round here wipes me out. I am good for nothing on a Sunday afternoon after that. I just lie around with my chest hurting, feeling buzzy in an unpleasant way.

I did a 100k round London and didn't find it an adventure or achievement, it just bloody hurt for the last 20 miles and I went to some bad places in my mind. The negative and highly self-critical voice in my head became a roar. Cycling is not much fun for me really. It's just something I do to reduce the chance of a heart attack like my Dad had at about the age I am now.

But, more power to you, chapeau and all that.

#32 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

Sorry to hear that, Rob. Ironically, the reason I stopped posting at CP (and I still only intend to post here in the cycling threads) is because this place had started to become utterly hateful and I was concerned about potential reputational damage that might ensue from participating in conversations indistinguishable in tone and absence of sanity on the part of some participants from those you might find on a far-right hate site. TNMS by contrast I find reasonable, good-natured, good-humoured and normal.

Is it a fitness thing or some other health issue?

I know what you mean about going to dark places in your head, I completely had that over some of the later, dark and cold miles of my Norfolk trip. It was a relief to get back to Zouch and cross the border back into Leicestershire and more familiar territory.

#33 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

The good thing about CP is that you can block the haters. Deprived of attention, they go quiet.

Mike posted again recently which is a bonus.

#34 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

Did you see Jasmijn muller on her lejog record attempt ?

https://www.lejogrec...co.uk/follow-me

Challenge abandoned, that's a great shame. I wondered why she'd stayed for 11 hours in the same place in the North-West.

https://www.followmy.../JasmijnMuller/

Hope she'll be OK.

http://www.cyclingwe...mpt-ride-349828

#35 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

Is it a fitness thing or some other health issue?

At age 53 my cardiovascular fitness is better than in my twenties and thirties, though I could lose weight. I got down to 88 kg at one point, but shot up to 102 kg, due to being on the road a lot and eating motorway food. Now I am about 98 kg.

I did no aerobic exercise until age 50. I was crap at every sport at school due to asthma. That cleared up, but of late my chest has been getting tight on steeper hills. Might need an inhaler.

Anyway encouraged by your post I did about ten miles this evening through more mizzle, and got a PB on a two-mile hill. Nearly came off at 35 mph on a big sweeping descending curve but stayed upright amid much frightful swearing. It will not appear on Strava as that sometimes craps out round here, but Garmin always works.
  • Slim likes this

#36 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

Sombrero to Christopher Froome for all but winning the Vuelta today. The Angliru is insane, 12.5 km @ an average of 10% with long bits at nearly 25%. 

On my 50 mile ride today, I was entering Tortoise mode on gradients of 7%

#37 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

Wanted to do 35 miles today, tuning up for the 44 sportive next weekend.  Just didn't have anything - one of those days where you seem to pedal forever and hardly advance.  Did 20 miles. So tired now.

#38 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Did the 44-miler, but Strava said 46.5 today so I'll bag that.  But Jeez, those hills, it's not enjoyable at all.  Cycling is too hard.

• Slim likes this

#39 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Well done MT :)

You're not wrong on hills being hard though. I did one yesterday it only averaged 4% over three and a bit miles, but it completely sapped my legs and that was doing it two and a half minutes slower than my previous worst. I had planned on going on to do a climb which gets used for hill climb races. I didn't bother. Seven weeks out at the height of Summer was the worst time to be away from cycling.

It's all downhill now - unfortunately not literally - until next April now.

Even when you get fitter it doesn't get easier, you just get faster.

#40 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

change your gear transmission and the hills will be a lot easier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users