Photo

Fucking Hell - Can You Imagine Rush Publically Feuding Like This?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

Still part of me wants to see a full Journey reunion with Rollie and Perry.  Old school.

Or go real old school. Journey pre-Perry

• RushDoggie likes this

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

#22 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

Schon is a whackadoodle, let's not forget his siutation that went on with his now current wife.  Remember she was one of the "white house crashers".  He stole her from that guy and had her in hiding, on tour for like a year.  She was declared "missing" at many times.  Kind of odd.  Cain, I think has to just not mix music with supporting his wife and politics/religion.  I think he is, but he's got to watch the photo ops.  Greg Rollie is available, but let's remember that Cain wrote all of the big hits from the Escape album.  He came to Journey with those songs and Steve Perry put some lyrics to those.  Still part of me wants to see a full Journey reunion with Rollie and Perry.  Old school.

As for Rush behaving like this, they are way too conservative and too Canadian to do something like this.  They would handle this privately.

The early '80s was an interesting time for established '70s hard rock/arena acts. So many of them started bringing in outside songs and even personnel to revitalize/commercialize their sounds to meet the demands of the new MTV video promotion paradigm. Songs got shorter, peppier and catchier. Bands' images were made video ready. Market forces created the Trevor Rabins and Jonathan Cains of that era. For myself, I prefer the Rollie/Perry incarnation of Journey.

But you can create a pretty long list of '70s bands that recreated their sounds for the '80s: Heart, ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, The Moody Blues, Yes, Ozzy, The Eagles. Even Rush made a significant change. Probably in most cases it was change or get dropped.

• fenderjazz, RushDoggie and The Macallan like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#23 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

Speaking of Journey, I had Don't Stop Believin' stuck in my head all day the other day.  It was horrific...

Journey of the 70s was far better than anything that came after.  80s Journey was an insult to rock music.  Almost as bad a Starship.

• Three Eyes likes this

#24 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

^^^ That's another one! Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship / Starship. Each incarnation tailored its sound to the decade it was working in.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#25 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

But you can create a pretty long list of '70s bands that recreated their sounds for the '80s: Heart, ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, The Moody Blues, Yes, Ozzy, The Eagles. Even Rush made a significant change. Probably in most cases it was change or get dropped.

Could be but not for Rush. Mercury would have liked nothing better for them to do Moving Pictures 2 but they went their own way (as they were always wont to do) and made Signals instead.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

#26 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

I don't know man. You could tell they went through a whole 'reboot' when GUP was released. A shit ton of videos, haircuts and stylists. Total image overhaul.

#27 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

Speaking of Journey, I had Don't Stop Believin' stuck in my head all day the other day.  It was horrific...

I love the Glee version.
  • Three Eyes likes this

#28 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

I love the Glee version.

I do too.

#29 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

Lea Michelle is fab!

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

^^^ I have a feeling you're going to like the premise of her latest show The Mayor.

#31 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

Could be but not for Rush. Mercury would have liked nothing better for them to do Moving Pictures 2 but they went their own way (as they were always wont to do) and made Signals instead.

I don't know if the creative control they were granted was contractual or a handshake deal but I think they must have felt pressured to change with the times either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users