#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

Saw this today. Powerful, moving, understated British film-making. Thunderous Hans Zimmer score. Well worth a look.
  • Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this

#2 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:00 AM

Looks awesome from the trailers I have seen. A momentous historical event, and one that deserves reflection.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:07 AM

Hey...

Nolan wrote the script, told from three perspectives—the land, sea, and air—to contain little dialogue and create suspense solely through details. Filming began in May 2016 in Dunkirk, France, and ended in Los Angeles, United States, where it also began post-production. Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema shot the film on IMAX 65 mm and 65 mm large formatfilm stock. The film made extensive use of practical effects, such as employing thousands of extras, assembling boats that had participated in the real Dunkirk evacuation, and using genuine era-appropriate planes for aerial sequences.

Dunkirk had its world premiere on 13 July 2017 at Odeon Leicester Squarein London, England, and was theatrically released in the United Kingdom and United States on 21 July 2017 in IMAX, 70 mm and 35 mm film. Film critics praised the cinematography, direction, acting and Hans Zimmer's musical score, with some calling it one of the greatest war films ever, as well as Nolan's best film to date. It has grossed $41 million worldwide.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

Looks awesome from the trailers I have seen. A momentous historical event, and one that deserves reflection.

It's quite low budget - no American stars, no vast explosions - and it becomes clear that one is seeing the same three or four aircraft over and over again.

But the understatedness is the key - not much dialogue, just 107 minutes of unrelenting tension, numerous blokes fighting to stay alive.

#5 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:45 PM

Saw it Friday night and it was tense from beginning to end. The portrayal of war was excellent but I left feeling the story of the civilians was undertold. I thought that was the real story of Dunkirk and thought it should have been emphasized more than they did. Overall an excellent film. Certainly seemed to capture the feel of the time.

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#6 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

Saw it Friday night and it was tense from beginning to end. The portrayal of war was excellent but I left feeling the story of the civilians was undertold. I thought that was the real story of Dunkirk and thought it should have been emphasized more than they did. Overall an excellent film. Certainly seemed to capture the feel of the time.

That's a problem with all of Nolan's movies.  The human element is almost always underplayed, if not outright ignored.

• GhostWriter likes this

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

It's quite low budget

$150 million is low budget now?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

That's a problem with all of Nolan's movies. The human element is almost always underplayed, if not outright ignored.

Worked brilliantly in Interstellar.

But in this one, Mark Rylance's 'little ship' skipper and Cillian Murphy's shell-shocked soldier were superb. Ken Branagh's Naval Commander getting misty eyed as the little ships hove into view.

Understated, not underplayed. This is a British film, after all.

#9 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

I'm just back from seeing it tonight. Very good and very tense throughout. I'd say the Oscars for sound editing and original score are already in the bag. The aural experience was so good it was some time before I realised there were very few conversations, especially in the beach storyline.

I think the little ships aspect of the Dunkirk evacuation was overplayed for propaganda purposes and has subsequently became part of our national mythology. In reality most of these were requisitioned boats manned by navy crews (that is shown in the movie, before Mark Rylance's boat sets off). They did play an important part getting people off the beaches but far more ( >200000) were evacuated from the moles on larger navy ships.
  • Moving Target likes this

#10 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

A pretty good review by Steve Sailer.

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:04 AM

No spoilers. I don't want to know who wins.

#12 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:29 AM

The film is getting some flak because there were no black or brown faces at the Mole, except one black Frenchman played by an extra.

This is interesting.  There were several companies of Indian mule drivers.   Paddy Ashdown's dad was in charge of one such company of which he was Captain.  He was ordered to leave his Indians and mules to the Germans, but refused the order and got his hundred Indians on the boats.  He faced a court martial, but was acquitted because he protected his troops, and was promoted to Lietenant Colonel by the war's end.

#13 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

Almost 340000 troops were evacuated. There were Indian troops there but what proportion of the total would they have been? I suspect it would have been a tiny minority of that 340000. I'd say it's quite fair to only show white soldiers as they would have been in the overwhelming majority. From what I can find there were only 4 companies (about 500 men), so that would have been < 0.15% of the total. The movie is not a documentary, nor is it trying to tell the story of Dunkirk. It's about a small number of men whose paths cross and interact and doesn't stray out of that into trying to tell the bigger picture. What are the chances that the protagonists would encounter the Indian troops? 

• Three Eyes and GhostWriter like this

#14 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

It would be interesting to know the BAME percentage of the BEF.

It might be as low as you suggest, though during WW1 there were 100Ks of Caribbeans, Africans and Indians all the way along the trench line.

I'm reminded of Betjemen.....

Keep our Empire undismembered
Guide our Forces by Thy hand
Gallant blacks from far Jamaica,
Honduras and Togoland
Protect them, Lord, in all their fights!
And even more, protect the whites.

#15 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

If it's a fictional account, it makes sense to at least have some representation of the people who are there. Context is important, and it's not like depicting a few of the Indian or Caribbean soldiers takes away from accuracy.  

There are two questions in terms of representation like that: What is gained by increasing representation? And what is the loss for that increased representation? Usually, the answer to the second question is literally nothing, so if there is even the tiniest gain then the balance leans that way.

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

They should have stuck this guy in Dunkirk, too. Wouldn't have hurt the film's verisimilitude at all.

the-man-behind-the-awesome-flamethrower-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users